• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 305 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bringback309s

I seem to remember shortly before 305's were withdrawn from Liverpool Street duties that a small number of 305/4's (3 car, large windows, low back seating) had class 302 trailers inserted into them (possibly giving first class) and then the whole unit received high back seating with NSE blue blaze trim although they retained their blue / grey livery. They may have then gone to the LTS or stayed on West Anglia. Does anyone have any info or pictures of these units?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Eight units 305521 - 305528 formed as you say from 305/4s with a 302 carriage inserted.

I can't find a side on picture of one of them but I think I recall reading that they received the same seats as those being fitted in 319s at the time. Seems they were under conversion in 1988 as there are some pictures here (page 2).

https://80srail.zenfolio.com/p889769850

They seem to have ended their days back as three car units.

https://topticl.zenfolio.com/p754885086

I'd be interested to see an interior picture of one of these but presumably there weren't very many taken.

AY1975

Established Member
Here's a good video, around 2 minutes in -

Note the Parkeston Quay destination on the unit in question. I would guess that the 302s, 305s and 308s did sometimes work Manningtree-Harwich locals after the Harwich branch was electrified (I think they were mostly 312s there, though).

Most ferry passengers wouldn't have been best pleased if a 302, 305 or 308 turned up on a Harwich boat train vice loco-hauled set, though, especially if it was a non-gangwayed unit with only some cars having access to toilets! It wouldn't have been a very good advert for BR for first-time visitors to Britain from mainland Europe!

Status
Not open for further replies.