• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muppet

Hey All

A qoute from 240diverter at TSC

Hi folks.

Just letting you know that I now intend to release the class 31 that I've been playing about with recently. This is my first attempt at BVE train building and I still have a lot to learn. The loco is based on a rather knackered example with 5 mk2s in tow. TPWS has just been 'fitted' above the speedo as there was no other alternative place to put it, unprototypical I know but its presence is more for my learning curve rather than anything else.
The loco now sports a completely new full set of sounds. A new sample is now online at http://www.llangollen-diesels.co.uk/LocoSounds/31Maybank-Riverside.zip

I hope to have the loco ready for testing in the next couple of weeks or so if all goes to plan, so watch this space.
Latest cab pics below.

31a.jpg

31b.jpg

31c.jpg

Cheers,

Martin.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
Cab pics are by me ;) (but all the fancy work like night cabs working speedo/lights etc are not - its just the original cab pic)

Looks and sounds great, cant wait for release!

Jordy

Nathan

Cab pics are by me ;) (but all the fancy work like night cabs working speedo/lights etc are not - its just the original cab pic)

Looks and sounds great, cant wait for release!

Jordy

ooooo, very nice job anyway!

westcoaster

Established Member
very good had a quick go on it another to add to the fleet, also see there is a 37/9 in progress cant wait.

Bill EWS

Hi Everyone,
I have just run the Class 31 on Tyne Valley and it is excellent. Martin has done a fantastic job with this locomotive. The cab graphic is very clear and the bogie sounds are great. I'm not certain about the AWS 'clear' signal as it sounds a bit high pitched, but perhaps they are on the real loco, it's been a while since I handled one. However, as with the BVE 4 Class 47 it's a shame that the controls aren't animated. But the image is very clear and all the guages are easily viewable.

As eezypeezy sent out an udate to the HST Route file I used this to add the class 31 to, but of course, the 31 requires loading and timings similar to the Class 37. Therefore I edited the 37 timings into the Timetable editor and also changed the bmp timetable to that for the 37. I also changed the loading to the 37's 29.8% at Carlisle and 28.63% at Newcastle.This should have given the 31 similar power and handling characteristics. The 31's were introduced with Mirrleees engines and most were later converted to English Electric Engines of a slightly higher horsepower, similar to a Class 37.

They were a nice engine to drive and the bogie ride was excellent. The power and reverser were the same as on a Class 47. My only dislike was the small driver's window. After the full width of a 47 they felt very restrictive.

However, as the years passed and during the lead up to Privatisation, the 31's were badly neglected and they were notoriously draughty and it was not unknown for a driver to spend the whole shift wearing coat, gloves and a scarf. Some drivers even reverted to placing their legs inside a bin liner bag.
They got so bad that there was very few complaints when the majority of them started to go for scrap.

The new BVE4 train handled beautifully and kept to the timings very well and like the 37 it arrived at Newcastle almost 10 minutes early. I actually arrived at 14.2710 and think the arrival time in the timetable would be better at approx. 14.30. Ther apepars to beew rather too much leeway in the original timings.

I also got the signal check at Haydon Bridge, arriving at 13.53 and the signal clearing at 13.5510. There was the odd signal check (yellow aspect) now and again, which was a good point as it appeared that I was following another train and that there was no point rushing through the sections.

Frame rate remained pretty constant at 10+ with around 5fps at Carlisle and Newcastle.

Altogether the new Class 31 is an excellent addition to BVE4 trains and is very welcome. Many thanks again to Martin for the hard work involved.

Cheers.

Bill EWS.

Bizarre

What a mighty fine loco! Good work Martin! Just one question - I get no horn sounds when pressing "Enter" or "+". I get something when I press "-" but the sound repeats until I press the key again.

Is it me?

mbonwick

Established Member
I get horn sound when I press enter and + ...so it must be you.

Also, the - horn repeating is nothing to worry about; it's normal. I believe it's something to do with how BVE handles the sound.

Guinness

Established Member
Great Loco, well done to the author! :)

Manage to more or less keep to Voyager timings on Network West Midlands. Arrived at Hammerwich 2 minutes down, although I got a good run of All Greens after Riverside. :)

Quality.

Simon_G

Manage to more or less keep to Voyager timings on Network West Midlands...Quality.
Well, perhaps it *is* a little quick at the top end! Try it on a stopper to get the full benefit of its pedestrian qualities ;)

Guinness

Established Member
Well, perhaps it *is* a little quick at the top end! Try it on a stopper to get the full benefit of its pedestrian qualities ;)

...perhaps it's my Skilful Driving.

Will try it on an All Stopper. Could be interesting. :)

pedned

Could anyone please tell me how would i go about changing the performance?
Becuase i would like to try and adjust it so its slightly more realistic.

But apart from being slightly too quick its an excelent model,
WELL DONE!!!!:wav:

NB. This will be for personal use only,
If i do decide to relese the modifications I WILL ask for the authors permission before hand.

Dennis

Established Member
Having driven this for the first time earlier today, I have to say what a commendable effort. Hoping for more of the same...

Status
Not open for further replies.