• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 313 'Clicking'

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainBoy98

(Sorry if this has been asked before)

Yesterday i was on a 313 at Brighton and we were waiting to depart and there was a loud clicking noise, im not sure where it was coming from and i cant recall the uint number. The noise stopped after a few minutes. Does anyone know what it was

Also, another 313 arrived at plaform 2 and was making a weird noise id never heard a 313 make before. It was due to make a service but as soon as everyone was off the doors and it quickly rused out of the station. I presume that it was heading to Lovers Walk but i wondered whether anyone had heard of a fault or anything with a 313 unit that day?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ushawk

Established Member
Certainly not a fault, happens with all of them, no idea what causes the noise though.

Southern313

Possibly the valve that allows air out of the main res tank if it's been topped up too much by the compressor.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Is this like the clicking noise made by Mark 4s and apparently Class 323s?

There was a thread about that recently

wheel tapper

could this have been the auto drain valve on the main res tank, this allows any water that forms when air is compressed to be drained off.

jon91

The clicking sounds like it might have been a valve that forces out any condensation from the air system. They're commonly known as Spirax valves after the main company that produces them.

Smudger105e

Those spirax drain valves are a pain, as they keep on clicking even when the engine is not running, as long as there is air in the system. Shut a 47 down and there are quite a few on those, when the engine noise has stopped, you can hear nothing but popping spirax valves :P Had one outside the office at 73A when I was there, had to drain the air down to shut the noise up.

The purpose of auto drain vales is to allow condensation in the air system to be vented to atmosphere, and water and brakes is not a good combination. Most modern locos (not sure about EMUs) have air driers, so water in the air system is not such a problem...

fgwrich

Established Member
Those spirax drain valves are a pain, as they keep on clicking even when the engine is not running, as long as there is air in the system. Shut a 47 down and there are quite a few on those, when the engine noise has stopped, you can hear nothing but popping spirax valves :P Had one outside the office at 73A when I was there, had to drain the air down to shut the noise up.

The purpose of auto drain vales is to allow condensation in the air system to be vented to atmosphere, and water and brakes is not a good combination. Most modern locos (not sure about EMUs) have air driers, so water in the air system is not such a problem...

Ah, so that's what there called - Spirax Valves. I always remember the sound of some shut down locos - mostly 47s, where the air is releasing through these valves, almost quaking like a duck sometimes! :lol:

LE Greys

Established Member
Ah, so that's what there called - Spirax Valves. I always remember the sound of some shut down locos - mostly 47s, where the air is releasing through these valves, almost quaking like a duck sometimes! :lol:

Yes, I remember one sitting beside Didcot shed doing that, very peculiar.

I've also noticed the first generation electrics clicking away at the ends of platforms. I thought it was something to do with the tap changers cooling down, but have never been quite sure. Maybe it's those valves again, but it happens a lot more with electrics than diesels.

LE Greys

Established Member
The sound comes from a small box under the carriage, where two gnomes are playing ping pong.

Is that near the Batt Box, where I presume they transport vampires in safety? Presumably the 'air dryer is for the convenience of those who want to arrive with their barnet in top condition.

RobShipway

Established Member
I am sure that I have heard the Class 455 units that are stabled in the sidings at Guildford making the same noise, so do these also have the Spirax Valves?

Fincra5

Established Member
Meh, 313s make all kinds of funny noises. The oddest one was at Newhaven Marine, where we just sat there with is loudly clunking... stopped when we moved. Odd, old trains :D

hedpe

They are funny old trains with a simplistic box-like design, yet you should notice by looking directly at the front of the train, the 313 does have curves! (not the nice kind on a lady, more like a man who gradually gets fatter towards his waist line). Unlike modern trains which use thyristors to control speed, 313's use old school resistors. Underneath is a large bank of resistors which controls the speed of the motors. As the driver turns the controller through the notches, a cam shaft operates switches which open and close circuits through the resistors. This is not a very efficient way of doing it (although cleverly, the heat generated by the resistors is passed on into the carriage for onboard heating). This is also why the train jerks forward when moving from a standstill.

As for the clicks, i think i know what you are talking about but unfortunately i do not know why they happen

Established Member
Unlike modern trains which use thyristors to control speed, 313's use old school resistors. Underneath is a large bank of resistors which controls the speed of the motors. As the driver turns the controller through the notches, a cam shaft operates switches which open and close circuits through the resistors.

That's also why you hear fans when they pull off, as far as I know the fans are to cool down the resistors and camshafts. If you compare a 313 to a 315, the 315s use newer thyristor control, so just buzz when pulling off from a station and have a much smoother, less jerkier ride.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
67s seem to tick at some rather close intervals too when the engine is running, like 'ticktickticktitickticktiticktick'

I don't know about 319s, as when they sit at a station, they make an eerie creaking like sound, is this something to do with the air valve too?

hedpe

I think the clicking noise is down to the valve releasing built up liquids from the air tank

Status
Not open for further replies.