• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 314 Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLC

I'd love to know their definition of "spares"; I wouldn't have thought the Metro-Cam D Stock would have much in common with the BREL EMUs of the era.
I could imagine the motors being broadly similar, certainly both DC anyway, but of course the motors were in the driving carriages so I’m not sure what value the pantograph coaches have. Maybe the transformers and rectifiers are in that coach?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris125

Established Member
I'd love to know their definition of "spares"; I wouldn't have thought the Metro-Cam D Stock would have much in common with the BREL EMUs of the era.

Wasn't recovering bits of 314 how Vivarail planned to create a prototype 25kv unit?

Defiance149

Some suggestion the TS cars at Long Marston have been scrapped in the last couple of weeks or so, anyone know more?

ScottDarg

314209 moved (by rail) to Shields Depot today between 318253 and 320414 (5V05 from Yoker). Video of the move was posted to a private Facebook group.

Apparently due to be collected from Shields and moved to Bo'ness by road.

Last edited:

Peter0124

Established Member
314209 moved (by rail) to Shields Depot today between 318253 and 320414 (5V05 from Yoker). Video of the move was posted to a private Facebook group.

Apparently due to collected from Shields and moved to Bo'ness by road.
That wouldve made for a very rare video!

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Could someone please explain why 314209 has gone from north of the Clyde to a depot south of the Clyde, only to switch to road and go north of the Clyde again?

Also, what was wrong in going direct to Bo'ness from Yoker, as the route is fully electrified to the junction near Linlithgow? This would have been far easier.

Sometimes I totally despair at how the country has got into the terrible state that it is in nowadays.

JModulo

Could someone please explain why 314209 has gone from north of the Clyde to a depot south of the Clyde, only to switch to road and go north of the Clyde again?

Also, what was wrong in going direct to Bo'ness from Yoker, as the route is fully electrified to the junction near Linlithgow? This would have been far easier.

Sometimes I totally despair at how the country has got into the terrible state that it is in nowadays.

Not sure if you can actually load onto a lorry at Yoker.

Ewan M

Well the 314 hasn't moved in over a year and I don't think any of the Bo'ness locos would be able to drag the unit directly without the need for a coupling adaptor

ScottDarg

No idea on the first point - can only assume Yoker doesn't have the facilities to load onto a lorry.

On the second point; the preserved line into Bo'ness had a landslide around the time of the Carmont derailment and repairs to the enbankment are still ongoing, so I imagine that rules out bringing it in by rail.

Journeyman

Established Member

Deciding to take a train somewhere by lorry is hardly the end of civilisation.

Journeyman

Established Member
Actually the 314 was under power for the move!

314s were never cleared for operation over the E&G, as far as I know, and the Bo'ness & Kinneil Railway is currently under possession for land slip repairs. Plus, as others have said, EMUs fitted with automatic couplers need translator vehicles for loco haulage.

All of those factors made a movement by road simpler and easier.

D365

Veteran Member

I am confused as to how this comment relates to the rest of the posting.

Peter0124

Established Member
Is this the first time a 385 has visited Neilston?

It came off an Edinburgh via Shotts:
Arriving into Platform 9, where the Neilston train departed from just afterwards.

And then after returning from Neilston, it went and joined with another unit onto a Lanark service.

I believe sets were swapped at Glasgow Central today as the platform numbers showed red, but from what RTT platforming data/unit number allocations shows, a 385 visited Neilston today!

Status
Not open for further replies.