• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 314 Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

SC318250

This path that has appeared to Glasgow Works am guessing is either for the following;

something can only move a short distance by rail and needs moved by road (thi would have thought Corkerhill or Polmadie would be used)

another company is leasing Glasgow Works to do some works on a unit (possibly C4 overhauls on 318/320 to relief pressure on shed space at Shields)

guess we await Monday to see if anything happens

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SC318250

Looks like it is a 314 going to be scrapped in Glasgow Works Yard. Post on WNXX says that the remaining ones will be broken up there to save movement to Newport.
Suspect it will be 203 going on Monday unless 215 has moved to Shields

Ewan M

Looks like it is a 314 going to be scrapped in Glasgow Works Yard. Post on WNXX says that the remaining ones will be broken up there to save movement to Newport.
Suspect it will be 203 going on Monday unless 215 has moved to Shields

If this move goes ahead then I’ll head over to Springburn to catch it! Will be a shame if it is indeed a scrap move but it would indeed save a lot of time scrapping it at Glasgow Works rather than drag it all the way down to South Wales and ultimately Newport Docks.

alangla

Suppose it’s fitting given the number of locos & units that were scrapped in Tesco’s car park next door (MC Metals scrapyard)

Ewan M

Down to the last few weeks of 314 operation now! Should this planned move to Glasgow Works take place tomorrow I’ll head over to Springburn to catch it.

Ryazan

My guess is that it’s 203 that’s taken to Glasgow works as 215 is a yoked and RTT paths it from shields. 203 is based at shelids. At Glasgow works 203 in ScotRail livery May keep 1 carriage saltire and redo the other two and I think 203 will be used perhaps as farewell keep sake somewhere and they coaches done up on other liveries.

SC318250

My guess is that it’s 203 that’s taken to Glasgow works as 215 is a yoked and RTT paths it from shields. 203 is based at shelids. At Glasgow works 203 in ScotRail livery May keep 1 carriage saltire and redo the other two and I think 203 will be used perhaps as farewell keep sake somewhere and they coaches done up on other liveries.

Glasgow Works has been closed for months. Whatever ones goes tomorrow will be broken up in Glasgow Works yard, rather than be hauled to Newport Docks

Ryazan

Glasgow Works has been closed for months. Whatever ones goes tomorrow will be broken up in Glasgow Works yard, rather than be hauled to Newport Docks
I know it’s been shut. I think it’ll be there for storage as I think perhaps new government may decide to reopen it

d9009alycidon

Yet another theory doing the rounds is that Glasgow Works is only going to be used as a temporary storage and loading point for Alleys to take the coaches south for cutting. That kind of makes sense as cutting at Glasgow would result in all the scrap metal having to be loaded in trucks and taken south anyway since we don't have any steelworks up here that could process the scrap.

Ewan M

Yet another theory doing the rounds is that Glasgow Works is only going to be used as a temporary storage and loading point for Alleys to take the coaches south for cutting. That kind of makes sense as cutting at Glasgow would result in all the scrap metal having to be loaded in trucks and taken south anyway since we don't have any steelworks up here that could process the scrap.

Plus I think they would have to bring an excavator to the works if they were to scrap them on site. As I mentioned last night I’ll be at Springburn to catch the move should it go ahead and if it does it’ll likely be 203 making its last journey.

Ewan M

Looks like this move from Shields to Glasgow Works won’t be running today. Light loco from Mossend to Shields has been cancelled

Fleetwood Boy

There's certainly a ScotRail liveried 314 at Shields pan down this morning - too dark and cramped for me to see the number

Ewan M

Can confirm it is 314203 heading to Glasgow Works. Just passed through Springburn behind 47727

Ray303_265

Morning all, popped over to the Caley Tesco earlier this morning. No sign of 203 in the forlorn looking yard but rather a long road-haulage hearse was parked ominously outside the sheds.What about the previous discussion regarding a reprint of one of the units? Time is running out...

Ewan M

Morning all, popped over to the Caley Tesco earlier this morning. No sign of 203 in the forlorn looking yard but rather a long road-haulage hearse was parked ominously outside the sheds.What about the previous discussion regarding a reprint of one of the units? Time is running out...

Tbh I don’t see a repaint happening at this rate given that the remaining 314s only have this week and next week left in service before they’re withdrawn.
On another note it’ll be interesting to see where 203 will be taken for the chop. If it’s going by road I reckon it’ll either be Booths or EMR Kingsbury it’ll end up given that a road journey down to Newport Docks would take forever.

Ewan M

314203 has now left Glasgow Works. A picture emerged on Fb showing one of its carriages on a low loader on the M8 heading towards Paisley. Don’t know where it’s headed to though.

alangla

EMR have got a site in Glasgow IIRC, it’s either at Scotstoun or Braehead, next to the river anyway - if it was cut at Springburn, there’s no need for a long road haul.
Also, Allely’s were busy at Bridgeton Yard both last night & this morning loading up a Balfour Beatty drain cleaning train.

Ewan M

EMR have got a site in Glasgow IIRC, it’s either at Scotstoun or Braehead, next to the river anyway - if it was cut at Springburn, there’s no need for a long road haul.
Also, Allely’s were busy at Bridgeton Yard both last night & this morning loading up a Balfour Beatty drain cleaning train.

Interesting stuff. Wonder if the remaining 314s will be scrapped locally?

Status
Not open for further replies.