• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 314 Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
They did Lanarks on occasion filling in for 318/320s when those services originally were changed to operate from Central High Level. Would sometimes work there due to failures or wider disruption. As Glasgow Central and Motherwell Link 2 drivers both signed the units, there was no issue with traction knowledge. Although not the greatest on a route of that distance they were better than no train at all.

I see. I thought some of the Glasgow via Kings Park to Newton were extended to Lanark.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
As has been previously stated on here, Bo'ness has a complete class 303 unit that hardly moves due to the complexity involved in using it without OHLE and it certainly doesn't fit in with their style of railway operations, so a 314 definately wouldn't!

What people forget is that a first-generation EMU like the 303 can be hauled by any air-braked loco, and it's usually possible to bodge some form of push-pull operation with Blue Star locos.

Operating a 314 would require a translator vehicle, and you'd have to run both that and the loco around at termini. Not going to happen, is it?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
What people forget is that a first-generation EMU like the 303 can be hauled by any air-braked loco, and it's usually possible to bodge some form of push-pull operation with Blue Star locos.

Operating a 314 would require a translator vehicle, and you'd have to run both that and the loco around at termini. Not going to happen, is it?

The only alternative I can see would be to fix up a diesel generator to provide an electrical supply, though I think that's almost as unlikely.

JModulo

I see , im sure i seen a notice saying Lanark was one of the extensions .Might of been 320s 318

Lanark wasn't part of the extensions, 314209 did however make it to Lanark on 1 return trip on 14th April this year due to a set fault.

Buggleskelly

Without going too far off topic, now that the 314s are the first PEP fleet to be completely withdrawn, anyone knows when the rest of the older 313s and the start of the 507/508s might start to go?

Mordac

Established Member
The older 313s don't have any earmarked replacements in this franchise, despite a load of rumours cropping up once in a while. The Merseyrail units' replacements are being built by Stadler now, should start being delivered sometime in 2020 IIRC.

Pkh72

Is anybody able to advise if 314205 is at Shields or Corkerhill, and if it’s visible from a passing train?
Many thanks

SC318250

Is anybody able to advise if 314205 is at Shields or Corkerhill, and if it’s visible from a passing train?
Many thanks

202/205/214 at Shields
209/210/216 at Yoker CD

214 sitting at Shields yesterday afternoon with pan up

L401CJF

Established Member
Not seen anything mentioned about 204 lately, but a photo uploaded within the last week taken on 15/12/19 shows its still at Eastleigh although split up, no mention of the missing coach, could be lurking somewhere on site or of course scrapped. Of course things may have changed since it was taken.

Photo here (not mine!)

Ray303_265

Apparently the middle coach of 204 is being used for research and development purposes according to this month’s Railway Magazine....

Ray303_265

‘Driving cars were taken by road from GLASGOW Works to JR Adam & Son for scrapping. The centre car was taken by road to Long Marston, where it is understood it will be used for R&D purposes’. - apologies for the unit mix up in the last comment. Maybe Southeastern are looking to turn it into a buffet/restaurant car for 313 201? It’s a pity as I would have taken a driving car for the back garden.

LA50041

Established Member
‘Maybe Southeastern are looking to turn it into a buffet/restaurant car for 313 201? It’s a pity as I would have taken a driving car for the back garden.
As Southeastern don’t operate any 313’s, unlikely

Colby James

Now regardless about the 314

it’s highly unlikely any will be saved not sure what 204’s fate in the year will be but I suppose all of us are going to have to wait and see.

must be ashame when Bo’ness never got the chance to get one possibly due to issues and lack of space well if they’re going to literally buy a unit they have to get one car but it would Have to only be displayed that’s the issue to have a unit stuffed and mounted.

well I do not know many heritage railways in Scotland well I can name some.

Caledonian Railway at Brechin could but not likely they maybe not getting one but that could be a possibility or unlikely scenario.

Fife Heritage Railway only are a light railway of industrial stock unlikely good for a 314 to go their.

Strathspey Railway could but highly unlikely I mean depends but no.

Kieth and Dufftown Railway could but like Pacer prototype 140001 they could do same for a 314 as display only.

Scottish Industrial Railway Centre is a no.

Waverley Route Heritage Association could but no by my opinion however you never know.

Summerlee Museum could although it’s needs to be static beside the Half preserved 311 that is.

So yeah I do not know what’s happening we for now do not know I suppose we wait and find out but it’s highly unlikely.

route101

Established Member
Always think EMUS are better if they can still run on wires , like for special tours.

Status
Not open for further replies.