• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 314 Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsnedders

Established Member
I also see there are 6 car 380 stop boards appearing at Cathcart Circle stations. Just wondering what the plan there is as previously 380s were restricted to single unit working only on these lines, and of course the Neilston headshunt is too short for more than one unit. Is there a chance this will be lengthened? Even a 4 car 380 will struggle to take 6 car 314 loadings.

I could've sworn I'd been on a 6 car 380 during the Commonwealth Games (admittedly it running Central to Mount Florida to Central, with no other stops)?

What's the story with the 385 add-on option for a few years down the line. Wouldn't it be nice if these were made as an inner suburban version of the units and were devoted to the Cathcart & Paisley Canal lines? Once the 314s go then I don't think there'll be any units that really suit the shorter routes out of GLC.
I would expect something based on the AT100 for inner-suburban use, rather than the heavier (and admittedly faster) AT200? I imagine this'll all happen when the 318/320 replacement order happens, and then cascade the 385s onto more regional routes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
I could've sworn I'd been on a 6 car 380 during the Commonwealth Games (admittedly it running Central to Mount Florida to Central, with no other stops)?

I would expect something based on the AT100 for inner-suburban use, rather than the heavier (and admittedly faster) AT200? I imagine this'll all happen when the 318/320 replacement order happens, and then cascade the 385s onto more regional routes.

That was for extra services and late night running services as they had them running out to Rutherglen as well. To be fair the late night services that ran with 380s were mostly used only by the volunteers.

Carntyne

I knew Paisley Canal was restricted to single unit working but I didn’t realise it applied to these other routes. Most of the platforms are long enough and there is SDO where required so why the restriction? The Neilston headshunt looks as if it could just about take a six car 380 and there is scope to extend towards the road by a few metres. The idea posted of moving the points to before the station is probably more sensible as the platforms are long enough for 6x23 metre.
The Neilston headshunt isn't long enough for a 6 car 380.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Neilston headshunt is 131m from buffers to signal. If you take away 2m for stopping off the buffs and 10m standback for signal sighting then you are left with a useable length of 119m - which is exactly the length of a 6 car 314, 318 or 320. For the record the length of a 6 car 380 is 141.42m and a 7 car is 164.99m.

Southsider

Neilston headshunt is 131m from buffers to signal. If you take away 2m for stopping off the buffs and 10m standback for signal sighting then you are left with a useable length of 119m - which is exactly the length of a 6 car 314, 318 or 320. For the record the length of a 6 car 380 is 141.42m and a 7 car is 164.99m.
Many thanks, that clarifies the matter. The last statement I recall from Scotrail was that 385s were to be used on this line but I guess that was before this issue surfaced. What rolling stock is planned now? Longer term Scotrail seem to be moving towards 23 metre stock so presumably the turnaround arrangement at Neilston will have to change?

snookertam

ScotRail have today in their publicity for the December 2018 timetable stated that *most* Glasgow Central to Neilston services will be increased to 4 car, which pretty much verifies what was mentioned further up the thread about 380 units on the route. Bearing in mind there will still be 9 x 314 units on the loose in December means we'll still see a diagram operated by them. Glasgow Central to Neilston uses about 4 diagrams I think, so for their publicity to be correct I assume that 3 x 380/1 units will be used on the route. Presuming these are some of the North Berwick & E&G units being stolen back, I can't see where else they're coming from.

snookertam

Many thanks, that clarifies the matter. The last statement I recall from Scotrail was that 385s were to be used on this line but I guess that was before this issue surfaced. What rolling stock is planned now? Longer term Scotrail seem to be moving towards 23 metre stock so presumably the turnaround arrangement at Neilston will have to change?

The current restriction is single unit working for 380s to Neilston. They just have to pray nothing goes wrong as the plan if anything fails beyond Whitecraigs is for a wrong line movement back. From Whitecraigs there is bi-directional signalling in place to Muirend crossover.

In the long run it's probably advisable to have crossovers put in just before Neilston station (as suggested earlier in the thread), but that costs money.

Last edited:

Carntyne

I don't think any issue has surfaced. It doesn't seem like they have any Class 385 units to use on the Neilston route, so with 314 units going, they are using Class 380 in the mean time

youngac

Noticed 380005 on the 12:12 Central - Paisley Canal service today. I'm guessing this is one of the services the 314s have been replaced on since I've never seen a 380 on a non-peak Paisley Canal service before.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Noticed 380005 on the 12:12 Central - Paisley Canal service today. I'm guessing this is one of the services the 314s have been replaced on since I've never seen a 380 on a non-peak Paisley Canal service before.

When I was in Glasgow for a day in September 2017, a 380 was doing one of the Canal diagrams all day.

youngac

The withdrawal is certainly having a noticeable effect. Today must be the first time in my life that I didn't see a single 314 on the Cathcart Circle while travelling, just 320s and a 380.

route101

Established Member
The withdrawal is certainly having a noticeable effect. Today must be the first time in my life that I didn't see a single 314 on the Cathcart Circle while travelling, just 320s and a 380.

Was still a few other day when i was in central , though did get a 318 on Newton service .

SC318250

When I passed Shields yesterday around 0830 there were 3x314 sitting in the sidings. When I returned on 1025 Glasgow to Gourock (314202) there were at least another 2 at Shields.

Bod

I spent 27-30 September, in part, covering the 314's and noted that 203 refused to make any appearances so does this mean it has been reeled in for withdrawal?

Also is it normal for a pair to work Wemyss Bay all day on Sundays?

sannox

I spent 27-30 September, in part, covering the 314's and noted that 203 refused to make any appearances so does this mean it has been reeled in for withdrawal?

Also is it normal for a pair to work Wemyss Bay all day on Sundays?

Great Scottish Run was on in Glasgow on Sunday. Lots of services had extra capacity- there were 6 car units on the early morning Neilstons too.

Bod

Sorry, what I actually meant was do 314's have diagrams to Wemyss Bay on Sundays whether singly or in pairs as I thought they just did Gourock?

route101

Established Member
Took a wee jaunt on the 1718 from Glasgow to Wemyss Bay , probably my first and last 314 to this terminus . Missed out on Larkhall before .

The next service was also a 314 .

youngac

Just saw 203 on the back of a Neilston service.

youngac

If the rumour about the 385s is true then I suspect 207, 212 and 213 might be needed again.

snookertam

If the rumour about the 385s is true then I suspect 207, 212 and 213 might be needed again.
It's either that or they get on the blower for more 365s. Problem now will be that there's 385's taking up space in stabling yards and depots.

prod_pep

Established Member
It would be nice to see the withdrawn 314s reinstated for a bit, especially 212 as that's a great set.

delticdave

385004's computer system shut off the brakes whilst running yesterday's 1215 Edinburgh to Glasgow Queen Street
Wow! Not exactly failsafe are they. Bring back the emergency Westinghouse brake handle..........

Highlandspring

Established Member
That's what has been reported in the press but the facts of what happened are somewhat different..

On Moderation
That's what has been reported in the press but the facts of what happened are somewhat different..
So educate us, then.

Still, the facts - whatever they are - have meant that the 385 fleet is grounded, so it's clearly a serious issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.