• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 314 Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash39

Established Member
With the Edinburgh-Glasgow QS services going over to EMU's in the near future, and the first 385's now complete, how long have the 314's got until they are phased out?

Is there a plan for their withdrawal, or will they just stay in operation until they have enough new EMU's to cease using them?

I also noticed around half of them are in the new ScotRail livery, I assume any further repaints have stopped now with them being on 'death row' ??

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mic505

Yes, the 314's are planned for withdrawal May 2019. This is dependent on all the 385's (which are replacing them) in passenger traffic by December 2019.

SC318250

Is it not only 5 or 6 that will be in service by end of 2018 with full withdrawl as mentioned during 2019

mic505

Plan is 13 off-lease December 2018, followed by last three March 2019. Hence May 2019 confirmation of 314 withdrawal. Assuming that's what you mean.

Last edited:

ash39

Established Member
Not as soon as I thought, for some reason I had it in my head that some were going as early as May 2017.

Thanks for the replies

SC318250

I wonder if quite a few more than the planned 3 may survive into 2019, with the delay of the 385 into service. Suppose it will depend gow quickly Hitachi can deliver them after the initial batch that were suppose to be delivered by this December.
Am I right in saying that after Edinburgh to Glasgow 385s, that it will be North Berwick and Dunbar to follow before Cathcart?
Will Shields be contracted to do light maintenance on the 385 to save having to send them to Edinburgh?

ScottDarg

Am I right in saying that after Edinburgh to Glasgow 385s, that it will be North Berwick and Dunbar to follow before Cathcart?

This article provides some sort of outline: http://www.railmagazine.com/news/fleet/2016/02/11/class-385-route-introduction-plans-revealed

Edinburgh-Glasgow (via Falkirk High) Autumn 2017

Glasgow-Cumbernauld-Falkirk Grahamston Early-mid 2018

Edinburgh-North Berwick Spring 2018

Edinburgh/Glasgow-Dunblane/Stirling/Alloa Late 2018

Glasgow Central-Newton/Neilston/Cathcart Circle Late 2018

Eight-car trains on Falkirk High route December 2018

Glasgow Central-Edinburgh (via Shotts) 2019

The article was published in November so these have probably been pushed back as the initial entry in to service has been delayed but it gives a rough idea.

Last edited:

Carntyne

I wonder if quite a few more than the planned 3 may survive into 2019, with the delay of the 385 into service. Suppose it will depend gow quickly Hitachi can deliver them after the initial batch that were suppose to be delivered by this December.
Will Shields be contracted to do light maintenance on the 385 to save having to send them to Edinburgh?

The whole 385 fleet will be maintained at Craigentinny.

Carntyne

No, they will be maintained at a new facility at Millerhill yard, not far from Craigentinny.

No, they won't. Millerhill is going to be a stabling depot, much like Bathgate or Yoker. They'll be allocated to Craigentinny, which Hitachi are soon to take over.

Girner

No, they won't. Millerhill is going to be a stabling depot, much like Bathgate or Yoker. They'll be allocated to Craigentinny, which Hitachi are soon to take over.
I assumed (wrongly) that the Millerhill facility was the Hitachi one, purpose built while Craigentinny would continue to service HST's. I am also assuming (maybe wrongly) that all staff in Craigentinny will tupe to Hitachi as there will be a Hitachi ongoing maintenance contract with both the IEP and 385's?

AC47461

Does anyone have an update on when the 314s may start going, given all the delays? I'm thinking of doing a trip up to the Glasgow area before they start going and wondered how much time I've got....

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Does anyone have an update on when the 314s may start going, given all the delays? I'm thinking of doing a trip up to the Glasgow area before they start going and wondered how much time I've got....

Definitely still in evidence in Glasgow. I think they're probably going to stay with us until at least 2019 (some were supposed to get withdrawn this year I believe). Certainly nothing to suggest any will be withdrawn this year.

So you should have a wee while to enjoy the 314s yet!

AC47461

Definitely still in evidence in Glasgow. I think they're probably going to stay with us until at least 2019 (some were supposed to get withdrawn this year I believe). Certainly nothing to suggest any will be withdrawn this year.

So you should have a wee while to enjoy the 314s yet!

Many thanks sir 8-):D
I'm going to try sometime in June or more likely early July in all probability. Knowing my luck, something will rapidly change if i leave it till the Autumn.......:rolleyes:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Many thanks sir 8-):D
I'm going to try sometime in June or more likely early July in all probability. Knowing my luck, something will rapidly change if i leave it till the Autumn.......:rolleyes:

You'll definitely be safe in June/July :) and I doubt anything will happen by Autumn. The 385s to replace them are still not nearer entering service :rolleyes: (Which I'm actually quite happy about; more time to savour the 314s! 8-))

Fleetwood Boy

Local newspaper quoted ScotRail saying they’d be off the Inverclydes this year, implying autumn from memory. Given the hoo ha in the local press, I’m guessing they’ll prioritise getting 380s back on Inverclyde services with Cathcart Circle last place for 314s.

They seem to have freed up more 318s somehow. One even went to Gourock this week.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Local newspaper quoted ScotRail saying they’d be off the Inverclydes this year, implying autumn from memory. Given the hoo ha in the local press, I’m guessing they’ll prioritise getting 380s back on Inverclyde services with Cathcart Circle last place for 314s.

They seem to have freed up more 318s somehow. One even went to Gourock this week.

Won't the use of 318s on Inverclyde mean short-forming on the Argyle line? I'd rather they just stuck with 314s on the Inverclyde than short-form trains on the low level.

Highlandspring

Established Member
It was both for a while but 320s are not permitted to Gourock any more due to issues with DOO station dispatch.

Fleetwood Boy

Won't the use of 318s on Inverclyde mean short-forming on the Argyle line? I'd rather they just stuck with 314s on the Inverclyde than short-form trains on the low level.
I’ve no idea where the 318s have appeared from. It’s only 1 or 2 at most, so may just be one of those things with them forming something of a mixed fleet with the 320s. I’m guessing the 318 going to Gourock was subbing for something rather than planned- probably a 314.

I agree, extra short-forming should be avoided.

ash39

Established Member
I forgot I'd started this thread! Funnily enough earlier this week I booked some VTEC advances for July to go get my last 314's.

I'm hoping the old SPT carmine and cream ones are still kicking about?

Southsider

I forgot I'd started this thread! Funnily enough earlier this week I booked some VTEC advances for July to go get my last 314's.

I'm hoping the old SPT carmine and cream ones are still kicking about?
Most of them are still in that livery

Status
Not open for further replies.