• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 315 door control

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sturdjos

When travelling on a 315 tonight, it struck me that the train was stopped at stations, and no-one in the carriage was opening the doors, so they remained shut. The doors shutting warning beeps still sounded obviously, but the doors were already shut.....

Anyway, what does the driver do, when stopped at a station?

Press the '' door open '' buttons (if he has any?) or does he release an interlock, or what?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Julian G

Established Member
Sturdjos said:
When travelling on a 315 tonight, it struck me that the train was stopped at stations, and no-one in the carriage was opening the doors, so they remained shut. The doors shutting warning beeps still sounded obviously, but the doors were already shut.....

Press the '' door open '' buttons (if he has any?) or does he release an interlock, or what?
it's not just 315, it's other trains as well
I always close the doors even before the Beeps sound
*evidence was last monday ;)
i boarded the train last and pressed the CLOSE DOOR buttons before the beeps

Met Driver

Established Member
Sturdjos said:

If it's a driver only operated (equivalent to OPO) unit, then the driver releases the doors by means of buttons in the cab. This ativates the passenger open/close buttons. The driver then closes the doors, again by means of a button in the cab, the doors close and the passenger open/close buttons deactivate.

To follow on from your point about the door close warning - generally speaking, older units sound the door close warning throughout the train regardless of which doors are open, etc. On modern units, the warning is usually only heard in vestibules in which doors have been opened.

devon_metro

Established Member
I believe the 150/2 does this although all doors seemed to open at certain station e.g ESD whereas not at Dawlish!

O L Leigh

Established Member
Hi Chaps,

The "hustle" alarms were retrofitted to older rolling stock during the 1980's after a number of punters got caught in Sprinter doors.

Unlike the newer stock, the door circuitry on these units is more simple. Essentially, the driver (or guard) opens the doors by activating the local door control buttons. When it's time to go, the driver presses a button to shut up which closes all the doors. Unfortunately, the door control circuits are not sufficiently sophisticated to "know" which doors are already closed and select whether or not to sound the "hustle" alarm.

Incidentally, on a point of pedantry, interlock is a method electronically proving that all doors are securely closed before power can be taken and not a means of securing doors in the closed position. The "clunk" you hear on Networkers and other newer stock is a physical lock which holds the doors closed. Cl315's and other older stock with sliding doors rely on air pressure in the piston to hold the doors shut rather than physically locking them.

one TN

AlexS

Established Member
Julian G said:

Don't do that, it's incredibly annoying to be running for a train and to see some pratting arsehole has already shut the doors on the set nearest the station entrace. It's the kind of thing little kids do when they can't stop playing with the pretty buttons. The door close buttons is there for when there's a long wait at a station and if the door is kept open the carriage is going to either cool down or heat up quite a lot depending on the weather, or if a train is in the sidings while the interlock is released, but there long enough to have the door closed.

Gareth Hale

Seth said:
older units sound the door close warning throughout the train regardless of which doors are open.

I agree there, Ive been on a pacer numbers of times where nobody gets on or off and the only door opens is the conductor door, besides, the beeps give it a true railway experiance.

Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep -- doors close -- buzz buzz -- buzzzzzzzzz buzzz

Tomnick

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
I agree there, Ive been on a pacer numbers of times where nobody gets on or off and the only door opens is the conductor door, besides, the beeps give it a true railway experiance.

Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep -- doors close -- buzz buzz -- buzzzzzzzzz buzzz
...more often than not followed by a short period of silence as one of the doors hasn't closed properly, so the driver can't take power :rolleyes:.

Gareth Hale

Tomnick said:
...more often than not followed by a short period of silence as one of the doors hasn't closed properly, so the driver can't take power :rolleyes:.

Once I was on a pacer when that procedure took place and the doors kept springing back open, the driver and conductor spent a jolly long time messing with them from what I can remember. It was a very long time ago.

Jim

Established Member
Julian G said:
it's not just 315, it's other trains as well
Don't do that, it's incredibly annoying to be running for a train and to see some pratting arsehole has already shut the doors on the set nearest the station entrace. It's the kind of thing little kids do when they can't stop playing with the pretty buttons. The door close buttons is there for when there's a long wait at a station and if the door is kept open the carriage is going to either cool down or heat up quite a lot depending on the weather, or if a train is in the sidings while the interlock is released, but there long enough to have the door closed.
{BIG UP Alex S for writing it for me;) }

Status
Not open for further replies.