• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 315 Withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

13N

But i guess they will start to be stored soon otherwise they will just be in the way
315's are starting to go into "warm storage" at Aldersbrook CHS. These units will be rotated as and when required and also to keep them in a good state should they be needed for service (such as yesterday). 840 donated it's undamaged DMS2 to 848 and therefore 848 has 2 x DMS2 whilst 840 has two damaged DMS1s. I can check it's status next time I am at work, however I have heard that it won't be used in service again.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
the 315s - a squadron of hard working, unassuming EMUS, maintenance friendly, like their PEP Sister Squadrons, once they go, they will be missed, one can only hope that the Rosco will save one or for posterity -as shenfield 016 was saved for apprentices, but in these modern times there isnt an Ernst Birchler running ilford depot anymore...

personally i have had plenty of miles on em....They will be missed by IL maintenance teams i suspect

I'm sure a PEP unit will be preserved somewhere, though part of the problem with more recent stock, especially as many have modernised interiors, is that they don't look especially historic! A child walking through a 315 isn't going to go "wow, what an amazing old train". Sliding doors. hopper windows, modern individual (and small) seats, they're much more like their replacement stock than say the slam doors were to their replacements.

Southsider

I think the Class 303 highlights the change from old to new better than the PEP units as it has most of the features you describe and predates them by several years. Sadly the only survivor is in a poor state of repair at Bo'ness.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Can I get confirmation that 315840 is *not* coming back into service then? It is one of just two I haven't red-penned yet and it would save me looking for it. 315858 being the other one I need for the record.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I can confirm 848 is back in service as I was on it this morning. The 840/848 pair still had a sizeable dent in the front of one of the units as of quite recently so I can only imagine the report of 840 having been retired is true. Not to say of course it won't be repaired at a later date but with several 345s about on the peak services now, I don't see any point.

sjoh

According to the paper before the Finance and Policy committee last week, TfL will be keeping at least one 315 - seemingly for the Romford shuttle. There's more in the latest article over on London Reconnections.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm sure a PEP unit will be preserved somewhere, though part of the problem with more recent stock, especially as many have modernised interiors, is that they don't look especially historic! A child walking through a 315 isn't going to go "wow, what an amazing old train". Sliding doors. hopper windows, modern individual (and small) seats, they're much more like their replacement stock than say the slam doors were to their replacements.

The PEP design is relatively timeless - the Merseyrail ones with their new interiors don't look dated at all. If anything the later Mk3 designs look more dated, particularly the early ones with the very 1970s Mk3 hauled stock interior and odd hopper ventilators.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
The 315's are staying - well at least one on LO according to an article today on London Reconnections quoting a TFL report.

colchesterken

It is great that 306 016 was preserved but for the last 5 yrs it has been left unused rotting at EARM
What a waste of a preservation project, I remember under Great Eastern it was "the pride of the line "
Used for specials ,,What a waste!

hooverboy

On Moderation

maybe not,but the value of a reliable workhorse should not be underestimated.
HST's and sprinters will go down in history as the diesel equivalent.

ok HST in its day was groundbreaking,but sprinters much maligned as they are have been the backbone of commuter travel in non electrified regions,and TBH they have done a bloody good job for the most part.
the grumbles generally are with the finish rather than the ability to turn up on time and get people from A to B.

rd749249

315's are starting to go into "warm storage" at Aldersbrook CHS. These units will be rotated as and when required and also to keep them in a good state should they be needed for service (such as yesterday). 840 donated it's undamaged DMS2 to 848 and therefore 848 has 2 x DMS2 whilst 840 has two damaged DMS1s. I can check it's status next time I am at work, however I have heard that it won't be used in service again.

848 has 2xDMS1’s

Aldersbrook is being readied for the Gidea Park block due to start in November.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I think NRM York has a claim (if it wants it) , on 313001 - or 313201 as I think it is now - a PEP and the first dual voltage set in the UK (I think)

Established Member
315848 returned last Saturday and with a spot of good luck I seem to have caught that nearly every day in the last week! Interestingly it has carriage number 64540 which belongs to 840 which I believe was explained above and then it was evidently restickered from 840 to 848!

What's the news with 851 and 854 - I saw it at Stratford as an ECS on Saturday around 1810, but now are back at the sidings by the construction academy by Ilford again.

Established Member
Good news - this morning my train was 315854, which means it's been reinstated into public service again. No idea where 315851 is, but 854 is coupled to 819 for the time being until they do the usual switches. It's a lovely sight for sore eyes, seems Aventra movements are going very slowly unsurprisingly.

class303

I think the Class 303 highlights the change from old to new better than the PEP units as it has most of the features you describe and predates them by several years. Sadly the only survivor is in a poor state of repair at Bo'ness.

Great trains!

13N

315835/315840 have been withdrawn and were taken to Wolverton yesterday as 5Z20.

Last edited:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
It is great that 306 016 was preserved but for the last 5 yrs it has been left unused rotting at EARM
What a waste of a preservation project, I remember under Great Eastern it was "the pride of the line "
Used for specials ,,What a waste!

Yes its a shame as I just started commuting on the GE as the last of the 306's were being withdrawn. I vaguely remember it was on short-term loan from the NRM for a few years (until 2016?). Surely this is a candidate for the national collection at York?

brel york

The pep stock did well to say they were a stop gap until mk 3 mu bodyshells were designed , I love looking at the early mk 3 mu drawings , the majority either say “all mu steel stock “ or in a lot of cases Class 510 (455)

brel york

maybe not,but the value of a reliable workhorse should not be underestimated.
HST's and sprinters will go down in history as the diesel equivalent.

ok HST in its day was groundbreaking,but sprinters much maligned as they are have been the backbone of commuter travel in non electrified regions,and TBH they have done a bloody good job for the most part.
the grumbles generally are with the finish rather than the ability to turn up on time and get people from A to B.
Good point , people look through rose tinted specs but compare 150s to some of the m1 dmus and there a different world and they have more than paid for themselves, travelling from York to Leeds for tech college in the mid 1980s I much preferred to catch the loco hauled stock than the mk 1 dmus , especially the 8am train to somewhere in north wales , the last coach was usually a Mk1 SO that was actually a down graded FO , lovely big armchair style seats in a 2-1 layout , nice to sit on , but as I found out during my apprenticeship at york , not nice to re-trim !

greyman42

Established Member
Good point , people look through rose tinted specs but compare 150s to some of the m1 dmus and there a different world and they have more than paid for themselves, travelling from York to Leeds for tech college in the mid 1980s I much preferred to catch the loco hauled stock than the mk 1 dmus , especially the 8am train to somewhere in north wales , the last coach was usually a Mk1 SO that was actually a down graded FO , lovely big armchair style seats in a 2-1 layout , nice to sit on , but as I found out during my apprenticeship at york , not nice to re-trim !
Ah, the trimming shop at York!!

Juniper Driver

Established Member
315s any day. I was displeased to catch the very dull and uncomfortable 345s BOTH ways on my commute today - we need proper trains here!

I don't understand why one dislikes them - for their age they do a damn good job and bring character to the journey. Trains like this make traveling worthwhile.

When I started my career they were barely 1 year old so have basically followed them all their life apart from recently when I have stopped passing through Liverpool Street.I work on the sister units class 455's.Always liked them and the 455's come to that.

theblackwatch

Established Member

I remember those vehicles - 36xx series. On spitting trips to Crewe, we used to travel back from Warrington BQ to Leeds/York in one of those, which was the front coach on what was probably the return working of the service you describe. Many of them are still in service, back as FOs in charter sets.

Back on topic, with so much new stock on order, I don't personally see much future for the 315s once they go off lease. It's frightening that they're almost 40 years old now!

D365

Veteran Member
Back on topic, with so much new stock on order, I don't personally see much future for the 315s once they go off lease. It's frightening that they're almost 40 years old now!

Wales was the only destination that was being touted, wasn't it!?

BlythPower

It seems I got them just in time - my last two for sight are in the first four to go! o_O:(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.