• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 317 units at Nottingham during 1983 strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunting14

Has anyone got any links or information on the stabling of these units whilst they were out of use due to the industrial dispute which stop them being used on the Bed Pan services

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merthyr Imp

I haven't any links, but I remember them being stored in the sidings at the old London Road Low Level station which may or may not still have been in use as a parcels depot at that time - 1983?. I didn't make a note of the numbers, but one has stuck in the memory - 317317.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I wasn't aware thus occurred, were any stored elsewhere (other than the obvious places like cricklewood and Bedford) during the ASLEF dispute?

JohnW1

Established Member
The introduction of the class 317 units on St Pancras suburban duties was delayed due to an industrial dispute and with space running out at York and Derby Carriage works, where they were being built, at least nineteen units (317315/16/28 – 342/45/46) were stored around the sidings at Nottingham during the summer of 1982. It is a sad reflection of the times that today this would not be possible due to the risk of graffiti attack.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pics-by-john/7207441584/

317329 was one of the units stored at Nottingham London Road.

Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I remember the strike as it seemed to last for a long time and seeing passenger trains on the MML north of Derby was rare. Hence my surprise one afternoon when I saw a class 31 hauling a rake of Mk1's heading south through Duffield.

JohnW1

Established Member
I remember the strike as it seemed to last for a long time and seeing passenger trains on the MML north of Derby was rare. Hence my surprise one afternoon when I saw a class 31 hauling a rake of Mk1's heading south through Duffield.

It was an industrial dispute not a strike with MML suburban crews refusing to work the Class 317's DOO and the Class 127 fleet having to soldier on. It lasted from the May 1982 timetable change until the 28th March 1983 when the first Class 317 DOO working arrived from Bedford at St Pancras.

Status
Not open for further replies.