• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 317 withdrawals.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
317501 is the only one left. I'm curious as to why it has survived for so long.
It's the former 317 301 isn't it? Therefore the first Mk3 derived multiple unit ever built? Albeit one driving car is from a later unit and the other driving car is a replacement built two years after the unit itself... so I wonder if someone might have made a preservation enquiry about it and it's held back pending the outcome of that?

Alternatively - it could just be pure chance it's lasted this long...?

bramling

Veteran Member
It's the former 317 301 isn't it? Therefore the first Mk3 derived multiple unit ever built? Albeit one driving car is from a later unit and the other driving car is a replacement built two years after the unit itself... so I wonder if someone might have made a preservation enquiry about it and it's held back pending the outcome of that?

Alternatively - it could just be pure chance it's lasted this long...?

We did kind of go here before with 365541, which sat at Booths for several months, with a few rumours floating around, but ended up going the same way as the rest. That’s not to say there isn’t a reason why 317501 seems to be hanging on, but I probably wouldn’t be getting my hopes up, sadly.

adc82140

Established Member
It's hanging round at someone's expense, as the storage won't be free. Leasing companies aren't generally in the business of holding on to stock awaiting the readiness of a preservation group, so this one's a mystery to me.

On Moderation
It's hanging round at someone's expense, as the storage won't be free. Leasing companies aren't generally in the business of holding on to stock awaiting the readiness of a preservation group, so this one's a mystery to me.
It depends on how the storage space is paid for. If Angel are leasing the space at Ely regardless of if anything is actually stored there, then there is no direct cost for storing the unit (they’re paying for the space regardless). If it is a “per vehicle” charge then it will be costing.

Poyntz

A possible issue is the availability of the only two locos fitted with tightloc couplers, 37800 & 884. There is so much stock now waiting movement either to breakers or for storage that there is probably a queue. If Angel are indeed buying space rather than per unit, there would be nothing lost by leaving it (until it welds itself to the rails...)

jus363

I was once told that HNRC at Worksop where charging £10 per coach per day, I don't know if there is any truth in that though.