• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 319's into storage/withdrawals tracker

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hassaanhc

Established Member
Are they thrashing the old gal? Let's hope they really get her up to speed on the AC one last time

Between West Hampstead and Radlett only the fast lines were in use (track replacement near Elstree & Borehamwood), and we were following an all-stations service which was caught up after Hendon. But Flitwick to Bedford should hopefully be good :)

b0b

Established Member
I don't know the state of construction - there's no way they could have run the traditional via London Bridge and up the viaduct as a special?

hwl

Established Member
I don't know the state of construction - there's no way they could have run the traditional via London Bridge and up the viaduct as a special?

Not till after a week Monday and then via slight unusual routing.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Cheers Tech,

To be fare though I was being a bit sarcastic, the vast majority of the pax are normals, -at least I think so anyway! :lol:
I'm guessing its just so busy because of the bank holiday weekend and with the weather everyone was off to Brighton for the day.
I'm sure it will empty by the time we hit Croydon and the core.

As to more exciting than "Eurotrashi'n"?! NEVER! <D -(said in my best Antoine de Caunes impression!! :D )

Not always obvious when someone's being sarcastic on this forum, as I'm sure you've realised!

I don't know the impression you're doing, I must admit. I am slowly becoming a Euro crank, something else you'll be noticing in my trip report thread if you're reading it!

387star

On Moderation
still got the bins on greater anglia they look similar although I have never been on one of those

alternatively head to the third world sorry I mean the north

Kite159

Veteran Member
still got the bins on greater anglia they look similar although I have never been on one of those

alternatively head to the third world sorry I mean the north

I wouldn't class Watford Junction being the North ;)

That reminds me I still want to do a 319 out of Euston one day, even if just to Watford. Just for the noise factor

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Was so disappointed the 12:24 to Bedford DID NOT THRASH AT ALL WHEN I GOT ON!! Wanted to hear it scream one last time

Was in two minds first thing this morning whether to travel up the MML on a 319, hoping for a fast run. Glad I didn't due to everything sharing the fast lines between West Hampstead and Radlett.

Had a more productive day photographing them today and had a pleasant surprise when 426 + 432 came out to play. Of course, I have hundreds of photos of 319s over the years, but could not miss their last day...

Despite the few cancellations today, well done to GTR for their efforts (including the substitution of a set) and the Bedford crew for the farewell headboard. And of course, well done to all the staff who have driven and maintained the 319s over the course of their lives.

Don't forget, their close cousins, the 321's are still alive and well on the GEML and a few 319s can be found on LM, including the St Albans Abbey branch.

b0b

Established Member

That reminds me I still want to do a 319 out of Euston one day, even if just to Watford. Just for the noise factor

Yea there are some nice videos of the 319 thrashing out of Euston on YouTube.

D7666

"Farewell Thameslink Class 319s
May 1988- August 2017"

?????

well that's wrong for a start

the first 319 in passenger traffic was 01/12/87 which was 319005 _ and it was out of Bedford too.

the first 319s - had for haulage were 319007+319008 on 16/12/87, and, by "may 88" I'd had over 20 (quickly counting moves records)

I do wish people would research these things.

may 88 (15/05/88 to be exact) was opening of Snow Hill tunnel route to public service, but thats a route date not a 319 date.

--
Nick

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation

forgot LM have them

haven't they put some white leather in the first class to jazz them up?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
?????

well that's wrong for a start

the first 319 in passenger traffic was 01/12/87 which was 319005 _ and it was out of Bedford too.

the first 319s - had for haulage were 319007+319008 on 16/12/87, and, by "may 88" I'd had over 20 (quickly counting moves records)

I do wish people would research these things.

may 88 (15/05/88 to be exact) was opening of Snow Hill tunnel route to public service, but thats a route date not a 319 date.

--
Nick

Yes, I thought the date was a bit odd, I did wonder so thanks for clarifying.... I remember photographing 319s in 1987 and had a vague recollection of the Snow Hill tunnel opening in May 1988 - 319s certainly did run before then... I'm gonna have to dig out my old 35mm negs... remember film anyone?

Domh245

Established Member

--
Nick

It isn't a class retirement though, it is all about their retirement from the Thameslink route (as a whole). When the last 319 is retired from the North and sent for scrapping, then a 1987 date on a headboard would be appropriate, but not for this occasion.

D7666

It isn't a class retirement though, it is all about their retirement from the Thameslink route (as a whole). When the last 319 is retired from the North and sent for scrapping, then a 1987 date on a headboard would be appropriate, but not for this occasion.

its retirement from the thameslink business

12/87 is the correct date

--
Nick

Class455

Established Member
I have updated the list... what an evening tonight was. I was in carriage 7 of the last ever train, 1W46 between East Croydon and West Hampstead Thameslink. I seriously cannot believe the Class 319's are all gone now. I have grown up with them speeding past on Thameslink service and it will get a while to get used to seeing no Class 319's on Thameslink.

On departure from West Hampstead Thameslink, the driver gave us a huge tone from the horn as well as a final whistle as it crossed with 700 044 at West Hampstead Thameslink.
I will really miss these units. For this thread though, well it will now be used to track the locations of all the 319's. I will edit it tomorrow maybe.

Last edited:

Class455

Established Member
Meanwhile 319421 is now back at Long Marston. It was at Bombardier Derby (Litchurch Lane) for some reason?

Class319&373

Sadly my 700 pulled up on plat. 3 right after the move went through. So I didn't catch the unit numbers at all, but I'm staying for 435s and 217s final move on their own power from the Carriage Sidings to Cauldwell Depot.

Last edited:

Class455

Established Member
Sadly my 700 pulled up on plat. 3 right after the move went through. So I didn't catch the unit numbers at all, but I'm staying for 435s and 217s final move on their own power from the Carriage Sidings to Cauldwell Depot.

They were 319432 and 426, fresh out of service from yesterday. Have updated the list.