• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 321 storage/scrapping

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I'm wonder why Anglia Railways not hired use FGE 321 in 1999?
It wasn't the same business. Presumably WAGN offered them a better deal as they weren't in 'competition'.

One of the points of Anglia stepping up to 2tph between Norwich and Liverpool Street will have no doubt been to acquire more of the revenue on the route south of Ipswich from FGE.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wivenswold

Established Member
"nowhere near as late as the introduction of new trains these days"

Sorry to stray a little off topic but delays with the introduction of new trains is not a recent thing. We can start with perhaps with APT as the headline act here, 317s also sat in yards for a year though that wasn't due to faults. It's not a "these days" thing apart from perhaps because of very recent production, testing and training issues caused by the pandemic.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Has 321902 been officially withdrawn from service please?
According to Facebook 321 appreciation last Saturday 06th August 2022. Was its final day. Also according to it 321903 and 322484 322485 are on borrowed time is this true?
However recently The pm Ingaestone and pm Colchester to London diagramm and a Clacton to London liverpool Street diagramm also have both gone other to x2 720 diagrams. So x 4 less 321 needed for withdrawal.
Is it possible come end August the ex northern 321 and 322 gone.
But the 321 Retanus will remain.
Thank you.

Wivenswold

Established Member
According to Facebook 321 appreciation last Saturday 06th August 2022. Was its final day. Also according to it 321903 and 322484 322485 are on borrowed time is this true?
However recently The pm Ingaestone and pm Colchester to London diagramm and a Clacton to London liverpool Street diagramm also have both gone other to x2 720 diagrams. So x 4 less 321 needed for withdrawal.
Thank you.
I would say it's very likely the ex-Northern units will be off lease by the end of the month at this rate.
Renatus already ready confirmed here to cling on until April/May next year. I think the last regular 321s services will be a Harwich or Walton branch diagrams by then.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I would say it's very likely the ex-Northern units will be off lease by the end of the month at this rate.
Renatus already ready confirmed here to cling on until April/May next year. I think the last regular 321s services will be a Harwich or Walton branch diagrams by then.
As late as May next year??? That’s appalling.

Established Member
As late as May next year??? That’s appalling.

Not sure you understand what is involved to introduce an entire fleet replacement, but I’m sure the project team would welcome your suggestions.

I'm wonder why Anglia Railways not hired use FGE 321 in 1999?

FGE weren’t asked. Remember FGE and Anglia Railways were in competition with each other south of Ipswich. It is fair to say the 317 hire took FGE by surprise, as did the FGE cheaper ticket from Ipswich take Anglia Railways by surprise.

Last edited:

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

Not sure you understand what is involved to introduce an entire fleet replacement, but I’m sure the project team would welcome your suggestions.

FGE weren’t asked. Remember FGE and Anglia Railways were in competition with each other south of Ipswich. It is fair to say the 317 hire took FGE by surprise, as did the FGE cheaper ticket from Ipswich take Anglia Railways by surprise.

A quick question here - was FGE the former Network SouthEast and Anglia Railways the former eastern side of Regional Railways Central, or was it the other way round?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

I’m sure that sitcom clip and the sarcastic retort were wonderfully enriching, thank you, but a reminder that the whole decrepit fleet should have been replaced by last year.

Last edited:

Established Member
A quick question here - was FGE the former Network SouthEast and Anglia Railways the former eastern side of Regional Railways Central, or was it the other way round?

To put it simply:
First Great Eastern was Liverpool St to Ipswich slow trains and branch lines south of Ipswich off the GEML.
Anglia Railways was Liverpool St to Norwich fast trains and branch lines north of Ipswich off the GEML.

I’m sure that sitcom clip and the sarcastic retort was wonderfully enriching, thank you, but a reminder that the whole decrepit fleet should have been replaced by last year.

Glad you enjoyed it ;) Lots of things should have happened sooner, but they haven’t for well documented reasons outside the immediate control of Greater Anglia. Many of the early build units kept in store now need quite a bit of work before GA will be prepared to accept them.

D365

Veteran Member
Glad you enjoyed it ;) Lots of things should have happened sooner, but they haven’t for well documented reasons outside the immediate control of Greater Anglia. Many of the early build units kept in store now need quite a bit of work before GA will be prepared to accept them.
couldn’t have put it better myself. Been some turbulent times in Derby from what I’ve heard.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I’m sure that sitcom clip and the sarcastic retort were wonderfully enriching, thank you, but a reminder that the whole decrepit fleet should have been replaced by last year.
There are plenty of older EMUs than the 321s, both in the UK and abroad. It's ironic that the 321s are going in the dusty bin but their DMU equivalents the 150s will plod on for years to come. Aside from the Welsh units, there isn't even a replacement on order.

Mordac

Established Member
There are plenty of older EMUs than the 321s, both in the UK and abroad. It's ironic that the 321s are going in the dusty bin but their DMU equivalents the 150s will plod on for years to come. Aside from the Welsh units, there isn't even a replacement on order.
I see what you did there. :D<:D

D365

Veteran Member
Would be a lot more work to convert a 321 to diesel… we’ll see how it goes with the Hydrogen conversion.

43102EMR

Established Member
Another reminder that not all 720s have been constructed/accepted, and with the entire West Anglia fleet gone it seems a more logical timescale at this point.

andrew749

The Renatus 321s are far from decrepit. Whilst they might not be to everyone's taste, they seem to have plenty of life left in them.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
The Renatus 321s are far from decrepit. Whilst they might not be to everyone's taste, they seem to have plenty of life left in them.
Indeed but unless the DfT indicates to the leasing companies what its thinking is on long term rolling stock strategy these will end up at Newport like the 442's did. Although for what its worth this life extension and reengineering is far superior and they ought to be rehomed and would have thought Scotland is most suitable location but DfT doesn't directly control their rolling stock policy.

D365

Veteran Member
Indeed but unless the DfT indicates to the leasing companies what its thinking is on long term rolling stock strategy these will end up at Newport like the 442's did. Although for what its worth this life extension and reengineering is far superior and they ought to be rehomed and would have thought Scotland is most suitable location but DfT doesn't directly control their rolling stock policy.
Do you mean 321s with or without batteries?

Wivenswold

Established Member
The 321s look dated but they are not decrepit. They've provided 33 years of outstanding service to Essex and it says a lot that non-enthusiast friends thought the Renatus units were brand new. The Mk3 derived DMUs and EMUs were a huge success and it's a shame there's little enthusiasm to preserve any of these workhorses.
Like the slammers they replaced, these trains have been under-appreciated and therefore easily disposed of, but are a significant part UK railway history.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
This was announced yesterday - although it's certainly been rumoured / suggested on this forum for a while:

Vivarail is excited to announce it has signed a new agreement with @eversholtrail to develop #batterypower and range extension to the Class 321 ‘Renatus’ fleet. For full details, read the accompanying news announcement here:

gdj

Thank you.
482 & 902 originally penciled in for 18th Aug move from Ilford to Sims. Moved to 19th due to strike action but still not confirmed.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Does this mean 903/484/485 are the only ex Northerns left in service? Did all the others get scrapped bar Friday’s pair?