• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 321 first class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bringback309s

Watching a video of a brand new 321/3 on test in 1988, I remembered the very first units had a poor quality first class section which caused an uproar by disgruntled passengers on the GE. The window layout with two identical windows shows this, I'm sure the spacing of the seats was one issue, hence why the smoking compartment could accommodate eight, but think the seats were grammar seats in a 2+2 layout, soon replaced by the existing seats as used in 442 standard class. The layout was changed before the 321/4s got built, hence why one window was reduced in size behind the drivers cab. Did first class have bad seats? Does anyone have more info and / or pics?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Watching a video of a brand new 321/3 on test in 1988, I remembered the very first units had a poor quality first class section which caused an uproar by disgruntled passengers on the GE. The window layout with two identical windows shows this, I'm sure the spacing of the seats was one issue, hence why the smoking compartment could accommodate eight, but think the seats were grammar seats in a 2+2 layout, soon replaced by the existing seats as used in 442 standard class. The layout was changed before the 321/4s got built, hence why one window was reduced in size behind the drivers cab. Did first class have bad seats? Does anyone have more info and / or pics?

Didn't they also extend it from just the area behind the cab, to also one window bays of the middle section?

superjohn

Didn't they also extend it from just the area behind the cab, to also one window bays of the middle section?
Yes and later cut it back again by declassifying the additional, very laid back first class seats. They are still there to this day on the units in question and popular with those in the know.

Bringback309s

The 321/4s had the extra first class seats in the middle section, for the Northampton line that they were built for originally. The section behind the cab originally had a smoking compartment with a partition between it and non-smoking, hence why the window layout was changed. See 2:12 on this video, shows the old arrangement well.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yes and later cut it back again by declassifying the additional, very laid back first class seats. They are still there to this day on the units in question and popular with those in the know.

I seem to remember that FGE ran them from the early 2000s with the centre section declassified, while Silverlink didn't.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The 321/4s had the extra first class seats in the middle section, for the Northampton line that they were built for originally. The section behind the cab originally had a smoking compartment with a partition between it and non-smoking, hence why the window layout was changed. See 2:12 on this video, shows the old arrangement well.

So only the 321/4 had the additional First Class and they were for the WCML services?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I seem to remember that FGE ran them from the early 2000s with the centre section declassified, while Silverlink didn't.

Yep, half the coach was 1st in the entire time they were in service with Silverlink/LM. The row of Standard airline seats adjacent to 1st were the prize seats - excellent legroom and 2+2!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yep, half the coach was 1st in the entire time they were in service with Silverlink/LM. The row of Standard airline seats adjacent to 1st were the prize seats - excellent legroom and 2+2!

Always the case, if there's a declassified bit of First Class, the regulars soon get to know of it and make full use! :lol:

Bringback309s

Just thought I'd "bump" this one to see if anyone who might have missed it remembers - the first 321/3's were built with a first class area occupying the area between the drives cab and first set of doors only - the 321/4's had the extended first class area for the Northampton line. When built, they had eight seats behind the cab in a smoking compartment, then with a partition and door leading to another twelve seats for non smoking. They were then changed to having the partition moved, the window behind the driver reduced in size to accomodate (see pics attached) and only four seats in the smoking compartment. I believe this was because there was an outrage from first class passengers that the seating was too cramped and uncomfortable. Can anyone confirm and / or does anyone have pics of the original first class compartment? They were in service a very short time.

Attachments

• 321.JPG
    321.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 321-2.JPG
    321-2.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 53

alangla

They were fully declassified but otherwise unchanged when they were first converted to 320/4s for ScotRail. It always made for a comfortable journey if you were at the right end when one came in. Unfortunately they’ve now been fitted with some spectacularly cramped standard class seating :(

Status
Not open for further replies.