• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 321 storage/scrapping

Class360/1

According to a list, I've made and that contains all the newest info I can find, there are around 47 Non-PRM ones left.

However, only 39 of those are currently in service.

If you add the ex-Northern Stuff, you get a figure of 47 units left in service. However, as we all know this number can change overnight. :rolleyes:
Aren’t the old northern stuff prm compliant?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class455

Established Member
I think I saw a Class 321 in one of the shops at Wabtec Doncaster when I went past, definitely could make out the driving trailer from one! Any idea which one it could be?

Jim-s

Thanks, Walton is near the coast I think. I'm not really familiar with places outside of London.
Yes thats it the branch splits at Thorpe le soken one terminating at Clacton the other Walton both seaside towns

I may Be wrong but I think the line has been served exclusively by 321s since withdrawal of the 312s
In fact I think many Essex’s seaside towns are covered by them

Also thinking of heading along the crouch valley line to southminster when able as that’s where I rember seing them first, if they are still running on it by then

class321

Yes thats it the branch splits at Thorpe le soken one terminating at Clacton the other Walton both seaside towns

I may Be wrong but I think the line has been served exclusively by 321s since withdrawal of the 312s

Also thinking of heading along the crouch valley line to southminster when able as that’s where I rember seing them first, if they are still running on it by then
The lines that I know are purely served by 321s are Southend Vic, Braintree and Southminster. I have never heard of the 312s.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The lines that I know are purely served by 321s are Southend Vic, Braintree and Southminster. I have never heard of the 312s.
Braintree has occasionally seen 317s when engineering work has closed the line north of Witham.

312s operated for Great Eastern until 2004 and were replaced (indirectly) by the 360s.

Class360/1

Nope, 360’s were a more common sight pre withdrawal. They served the lines well

Jim-s

Nope, 360’s were a more common sight pre withdrawal. They served the lines well
Now you say i remember seing the 360s along there, my last trip along there was a 321 and first time on one of the renatus units Colchester bound, I remember thinking at the time that the refurb made them way better than. 360 in my eyes, the Walton bound trip on 60163 tornado for the Walton celebrations some years back

samuelmorris

Established Member
Unless you're sitting in the car with the disabled toilet, it is difficult to notice the difference, apart from of course the different colour scheme. The ex-Northern units feel the same as the rest of the original fleet otherwise.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I feel old now!

Braintree has occasionally seen 317s when engineering work has closed the line north of Witham.
Typically when Southend was shut, two of the three pairs to Braintree were class 317s. I guess this was because something like 30 class 321s were trapped in Southend.

class321

I feel old now!

Typically when Southend was shut, two of the three pairs to Braintree were class 317s. I guess this was because something like 30 class 321s were trapped in Southend.
:lol:.

Unless you're sitting in the car with the disabled toilet, it is difficult to notice the difference, apart from of course the different colour scheme. The ex-Northern units feel the same as the rest of the original fleet otherwise.
Nah, not for me I'm afraid, nothing can hit different than a Non PRM 321.

Jim-s

:lol:.

Nah, not for me I'm afraid, nothing can hit different than a Non PRM 321.
I know what you mean, in the power car, windows open, leaning on doors rattling with a gap like they are opening at 100mph in the dark
As good as a 312 flat out in the same conditions

samuelmorris

Established Member
I know what you mean, in the power car, windows open, leaning on doors rattling with a gap like they are opening at 100mph in the dark
Yes but the ex-Northern units are the same in all those regards, hence my confusion...

class321

I have never experienced a class 312, I only found out about it yesterday, but it sounds good 8-). The doors of the 321 seems to rattle a lot though, even when they are opening and sometimes closing. Its great, I always go with friends on the 321 and we vibe to house music, it hits sooo differently 8-):D:D. Sorry to make this off topic.

Yes but the ex-Northern units are the same in all those regards, hence my confusion...
All 321s are like that, even the PRM ones.

Last edited:

NoMorePacers

Established Member
I've ridden on both the Northern 32x and the GA non-PRM 321s and can't really say I noticed much difference in experience other than the door sounds to be honest. Can still enjoy a good ride (and have done) on the Northern ones.

class321

I've ridden on both the Northern 32x and the GA non-PRM 321s and can't really say I noticed much difference in experience other than the door sounds to be honest. Can still enjoy a good ride (and have done) on the Northern ones.
In my case, if its not a non PRM 321, I simply can't enjoy it :|.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
312s operated for Great Eastern until 2004 and were replaced (indirectly) by the 360s.
I feel old now!
Me too!

I really liked the 312's. Travelled on them a lot between Walton, Thorpe-le-Soken and St Botolphs (renamed Colchester Town around 1991ish)

321s were staples on the Clacton line until the 360s arrived

Back on topic, there were 2 or 3 pairs of 321's stabled in the Top Yard at Clacton yesterday; guessing at least 1 pair are the ones to go on Tuesday