Class 325 lighting

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by a_c_skinner, 15 Mar 2019 at 16:40.

1. a_c_skinner

a_c_skinner Member

Pottering down the M6 yesterday, near Dillicar Common, we were overhauled by two Class 325 units, which may have been the ones I saw at Motherwell earlier in the day. My driver asked me what the apparent blue LEDs on the side of them were (several, looked at about cant rail height, we both noticed them and I've no idea what it might be. Obviously not much time to look and it is just possible it was some line side stuff that looked as if it was on the train. Anyhow my mate isn't a rail buff and if I cannot answer this I'll have to turn in my ABC, crayons, Thermos and duffle bag.

Thanks.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. HLE

HLE Established Member

The lights detect movement in the carriage/door unlocked if I remember correctly.

4. swt_passenger

swt_passenger Veteran Member

5. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Surprising they don't disconnect them if they are insignificant in meaning - having warning lights that are ignored as a matter of course breeds complacency.

6. driver_m

driver_m Established Member

It is strange how it's effectively ignored, yet the lights were renewed, you can tell a Postal Train now from a mile off. I presume that if a 325 stops for no reason and no explanation, it still has to be treated with suspicion by signallers?

7. a_c_skinner

a_c_skinner Member

Thanks. I have to confess I'd not searched for this as it seemed so abstruse. Apologies.

8. HLE

HLE Established Member

And if it's stopped on a bridge and there's a few defenders below.....although it's a long time since the railway carried large amounts of cash

Nothing wrong with asking, that's what a forum is for.

9. Highlandspring

Highlandspring Established Member

The old Rule Book clause about mail and dangerous goods trains stopped out of course was transferred to the NR National Operating Instructions, yes.

10. Llama

Llama Member

The lights can also be an indication of infra red detectors detecting an occupant in the vehicles or fire system activation IIRC.

11. driver_m

driver_m Established Member

I was thinking more so after DB stopped using them and then they came back in a limited operation. It'd be about 6-8 years now wouldn't it??

12. Tom Quinne

Tom Quinne Member

There was a high value (money) service running through the midlands during the EWS/Royal Mail era.