• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 325 lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Pottering down the M6 yesterday, near Dillicar Common, we were overhauled by two Class 325 units, which may have been the ones I saw at Motherwell earlier in the day. My driver asked me what the apparent blue LEDs on the side of them were (several, looked at about cant rail height, we both noticed them and I've no idea what it might be. Obviously not much time to look and it is just possible it was some line side stuff that looked as if it was on the train. Anyhow my mate isn't a rail buff and if I cannot answer this I'll have to turn in my ABC, crayons, Thermos and duffle bag.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HLE

Established Member
The lights detect movement in the carriage/door unlocked if I remember correctly.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A fairly regular question, to expand on HLE’s post here’s a few answers in a previous thread:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/class-325-lights.150861/#post-3064005
Basically normal movement of the cages sets the detectors off and the lights should be disregarded by signallers and station staff.

Surprising they don't disconnect them if they are insignificant in meaning - having warning lights that are ignored as a matter of course breeds complacency.

driver_m

Established Member
It is strange how it's effectively ignored, yet the lights were renewed, you can tell a Postal Train now from a mile off. I presume that if a 325 stops for no reason and no explanation, it still has to be treated with suspicion by signallers?

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Thanks. I have to confess I'd not searched for this as it seemed so abstruse. Apologies.

HLE

Established Member
It is strange how it's effectively ignored, yet the lights were renewed, you can tell a Postal Train now from a mile off. I presume that if a 325 stops for no reason and no explanation, it still has to be treated with suspicion by signallers?

And if it's stopped on a bridge and there's a few defenders below.....although it's a long time since the railway carried large amounts of cash

Thanks. I have to confess I'd not searched for this as it seemed so abstruse. Apologies.

Nothing wrong with asking, that's what a forum is for.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I presume that if a 325 stops for no reason and no explanation, it still has to be treated with suspicion by signallers?
The old Rule Book clause about mail and dangerous goods trains stopped out of course was transferred to the NR National Operating Instructions, yes.

Llama

Established Member
The lights can also be an indication of infra red detectors detecting an occupant in the vehicles or fire system activation IIRC.

driver_m

Established Member
The old Rule Book clause about mail and dangerous goods trains stopped out of course was transferred to the NR National Operating Instructions, yes.

I was thinking more so after DB stopped using them and then they came back in a limited operation. It'd be about 6-8 years now wouldn't it??

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
There was a high value (money) service running through the midlands during the EWS/Royal Mail era.

Status
Not open for further replies.