• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 325 Wikipedia entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestCountry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_325
On October 23 2011, 3 track crew workers, along with the driver were injured after Train 325012's pentograph lit up in flames while approaching London Paddington Station. The fire was believed to be casued by friction, however, the the cause was ruled out on March 3 2012 after CCTV footage caught a vandal pouring petrol on the pentograph. The vandal has not been identified yet. As of November 2011, Train 325012 has been repaired and returned to service.

Could someone with more knowledge than me confirm if this section had any relation to reality? It's hardly well-written, and doesn't make much sense...:roll:

I've removed it from the article - since when have 325s gone to Paddington? Probably complete nonsense <(.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ushawk

Established Member
Surely if this happened there we would of heard something about it and there would have probably been a RAIB investigation ?

And a 325 wouldnt ever be on an approach to Paddington (unless theres a Heathrow to Central London mail flow).

Wath Yard

A 325 at Paddington doesn't quite have the same appeal as a postal TGV at St Pancras does it?

I struggle to see how a pantograph catching fire would injure the driver, a pentograph catching fire on the other hand...

matchmaker

Established Member
A 325 at Paddington doesn't quite have the same appeal as a postal TGV at St Pancras does it?

I struggle to see how a pantograph catching fire would injure the driver, a pentograph catching fire on the other hand...

Isn't a pentograph something you'd find in a Dennis Wheatley Black Magic novel?

Crossover

Established Member
Yeah, it does sound alittle farfetched to be honest. Am I right in thinking the only way for a 325 to be on the approach to Paddington is to be dragged as the wired bit is essentially an isolated section (in so far as, the bit between it and other mainlines is not wired)?

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
The same user previously added this comment to the page:

On July 7 2011, train 325015's pantograph exploded and caught fire while arriving at London Paddington. 1 person was injured. The fire was caused by friction caused between the overhead wires and the pantograph. The section of wires were damaged and the pantograph was destroyed. 325015 was repaired at Oxford and reentered service on July 15 2011

Some weird folk on wikipedia.

ushawk

Established Member
In January they said the on the page of Red Jet 4 (one of the catamarans operated by Red Funnel from Southampton to Cowes Isle of Wight) -

"In 2010, Red Funnel sold the Red Jet 4 for 23 grand to a scrapping company. It is planned to be scrapped in 2013"

No offence or anything, but how sad are you to edit pages of a boat and a train class to total rubbish ? Is there any actual point ?

But yeah, the answer to this topic is - no its untrue, maybe is they said near Euston, it could be a tad more believable.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Well I've found that Wikipedians can be a class apart! This coming from someone quoted on the Lamest Edit Wars page* following a skirmish with Peter Skuce (who was replacing photos with poor quality shots he'd taken)

*have a read - it might amuse!

Ivo

Established Member
Whatever :roll:

"In 2010, Red Funnel sold the Red Jet 4 for 23 grand to a scrapping company. It is planned to be scrapped in 2013"

Surely evidence for this one can be found in the term "23 grand"? It should be shown as "£23,000".

tbtc

Veteran Member
Am I right in thinking the only way for a 325 to be on the approach to Paddington is to be dragged as the wired bit is essentially an isolated section (in so far as, the bit between it and other mainlines is not wired)?

Correct (something I didn't realise until a few months ago - I naively assumed it must be linked to other overhead routes)

WestCountry

I suppose I might as well examine his other edits then :roll:. I hate Wikipedia vandals...<(.

EDIT: Looks like they've all been reverted already...

Last edited:

Lrd

Established Member
In January they said the on the page of Red Jet 4 (one of the catamarans operated by Red Funnel from Southampton to Cowes Isle of Wight) -

That's quite amusing! She's our most reliable vessel, she isn't going anywhere for a while!

CC 72100

Established Member
Maybe they were thinking of Wightlink's Our Lady Patricia and Our Lady Pamela and got their wires slightly crossed (like the pentograph)?

Or Wight Ryders I & II more like if it's unreliability they were after!

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Well I've found that Wikipedians can be a class apart! This coming from someone quoted on the Lamest Edit Wars page* following a skirmish with Peter Skuce (who was replacing photos with poor quality shots he'd taken)

Ugg, I spent a while trying to sort out British DMU articles on Wikipedia, the quality of the photos was simply appealing, every "fan" just uploading their mobile phone snaps of the class to be the main image.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Ugg, I spent a while trying to sort out British DMU articles on Wikipedia, the quality of the photos was simply appealing, every "fan" just uploading their mobile phone snaps of the class to be the main image.

I know. I uploaded a couple of pictures, but never suggested them as the main image because I didn't think them good enough (they were generally intended to illustrate something until a better pic came along). I did promote a few bad ones by other people to articles where they showed an historic livery. Invariably they'd be replaced with a present day shot. One example I remember was one of the Merseyrail electrics, where OKish side on shot that showed an old livery well was replaced with a out of focus and underexposed head on shot because there were people in the photo...

RobShipway

Established Member
Well, looking at the Wikipedia page today it looks like the entry has been removed so maybe an April Fools Joke?

bengley

Established Member
Correct (something I didn't realise until a few months ago - I naively assumed it must be linked to other overhead routes)

It's connected at Willesden, you can trace the route on google maps.

sprite

This sort of thing is partly why I have suggested making a railforums UK hosted wiki for things railway related. It can (somehow I am sure) be linked to forum accounts so it is traceable as to who posts what on there. Aditionally it would provide us with the facillity to easily link people to information when the inevitable "what is this" threads pop up and the answer is often "datum plate" as a simple link to the wiki can be provided and all the information needed about them is there.

I have previously tried setting up a wiki on my testing server however I have had issues in building data boxes simmilar to those on the right hand side of wikipedia listing things like tractive effort, date entered service etc.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Am I right in thinking the only way for a 325 to be on the approach to Paddington is to be dragged as the wired bit is essentially an isolated section (in so far as, the bit between it and other mainlines is not wired)?

It's connected at Willesden, you can trace the route on google maps.

There's no link for electric trains between the GWML and NLL at all. Be nice if those few yards between the two lines were though. I'd like to go somewhere other than PAD at times! :)

There's certainly no link in my Track Atlas, but I've not been on the GWML for a while...

RobShipway

Established Member
I have travelled the GWML, many times and not seen a Class 325 in daylight so unless it was going to Paddington after Dark? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.