• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 325s

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmersears

Established Member
Having seen three 325 workings through Crewe last night I am wondering as to whether they stay in semi-permanent 12 car formation for long periods? Or do they regularly consist of different units? Also, are there any workings up the ECML (I recall vaguely that they work to a depot in the Tyne area?), or is it all focused upon the WCML?

I ask because I may head back down to Crewe on Friday to see if I can pick up any more winners for sight, and I'm trying to calculate the percentage chance of duds/winners!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Having seen three 325 workings through Crewe last night I am wondering as to whether they stay in semi-permanent nine car formation for long periods? Or do they regularly consist of different units? Also, are there any workings up the ECML (I recall vaguely that they work to a depot in the Tyne area?), or is it all focused upon the WCML?

I ask because I may head back down to Crewe on Friday to see if I can pick up any more winners for sight, and I'm trying to calculate the percentage chance of duds/winners!

They NEVER work in nine-car sets as being four-part units only 4/8/12 are possible. (someone may come along and say that a 16-car working is possible, but I'd have thought that'd be too long for the mail terminals).

They used to work to Low Fell (Tyneside) back in the day, not sure if they still run on the ECML though. They also used to work into Kent on DC and even occasional drags to the former Bristol Parkway Mail depot behind a 47.

palmersears

Established Member
They NEVER work in nine-car sets as being four-part units only 4/8/12 are possible. (someone may come along and say that a 16-car working is possible, but I'd have thought that'd be too long for the mail terminals).

:oops: Maths has never been a strong point. Opening post amended!

D365

Veteran Member
Could these units be rebuilt as passenger trains for additional capacity?

Could be, yes. But what would be the point in throwing money on a microfleet (mechanically they're based on the 319s) when we've got dozens of ex-BR units coming spare - not to mention seemingly perpetual Class 387 orders.

acmw421

Could these units be rebuilt as passenger trains for additional capacity?

They are designed to be capable of reconstruction, being, of course, essentially 319s with a Networker cab. But the glut of PEP and Mark 3 derived units knocking about looking for homes (eg 321s) makes it unlikely unless there's suddenly an upsurge in demand.

bramling

Veteran Member
They are designed to be capable of reconstruction, being, of course, essentially 319s with a Networker cab. But the glut of PEP and Mark 3 derived units knocking about looking for homes (eg 321s) makes it unlikely unless there's suddenly an upsurge in demand.

A lot will depend on whether the next Greater Anglia franchise includes any fleet replacement.

If not, that franchise could provide a home for most of the class 317 and 321 fleets for some time yet.

So we're talking about 313s, 314s and 315s - which could end up going off-lease, and the balance of 365s although no doubt they will be found a home.

Established Member
Having seen three 325 workings through Crewe last night I am wondering as to whether they stay in semi-permanent 12 car formation for long periods?
I don’t know what happens at the Crewe / Warrington end but the two sets that end up at Willesden each night are always shunted around at present.
They could have worked as nine car sets, albeit loco-hauled, a few years ago when all the motor coaches were removed for overhaul ;)
And 16 coaches is way too long for at least Willesden, in fact it's a bit of a tight fit if a 12 car turns up loco-hauled.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....I ask because I may head back down to Crewe on Friday to see if I can pick up any more winners for sight, and I'm trying to calculate the percentage chance of duds/winners!

From experience of sitting at Stafford, I think the best time to be at Crewe is about 1700-2000, give or take.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It's been suggested before converting the 325s into Passenger units to please us Gricers :)

As well as all the people who just want to use their devices on board and not look out of the window. And indeed the people who complain that their seats are out of line with the windows.

palmersears

Established Member
Thank you all for your replies. I see from the ECML workings above that these originate at Willesden, so I'm hopeful that they will find their way to Crewe at some point as part of a 325 roulette.

From experience of sitting at Stafford, I think the best time to be at Crewe is about 1700-2000, give or take.

Indeed, I was there from just after 17:00 until 20:30 and saw three separate workings. Hopefully if I go again tomorrow I'll get the remaining six units.

Established Member
Thank you all for your replies. I see from the ECML workings above that these originate at Willesden, so I'm hopeful that they will find their way to Crewe at some point as part of a 325 roulette.
They do, as the unit that returns from Low Fell in the early hours of the morning usually heads north on the rear of 1S96 that afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.