• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 331 allocations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip

On Moderation
Similar to the 195 thread, what are your allocation expectations for the electric fleet of Civitys?

31 x 3-car 331
12 x 4-car 331

Total: 43 units

Routes:

Manchester Airport-Blackpool North
Liverpool-Blackpool North?
Leeds-York?
Leeds-Skipton via Bradford?
Leeds-Ilkley?
Leeds-Selby?
Manchester Piccadilly-Hadfield
Manchester Piccadilly-Man Airport?
Manchester Piccadilly-Crewe?
Manchester Piccadilly-Stoke?

Are they all correct and have I missed any? Which routes will get the 3-car and which will get the 4-car? And finally, how will units get between the west and the east whilst there is no direct electrified route in between? I'd have thought Northern would want a joint pool for the whole fleet between western and eastern duties, in order to keep unit diagram flexibility?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
On the East side of the Pennines there'll only be 3-car units, which will operate on the busiest services on the Airedale and Wharfedale lines in pairs forming 6 car services. I'd also expect them to work solo on quieter services between the peaks and into the evenings.

Until Standedge is wired the East and West fleets will be completely separate, any movements would require haulage by diesels or a very long-winded movement via Scotland or North London!

Last edited:
Manchester pic -Stoke will be three car as I'm not sure 4 cars fit into platform 3 at stoke

notlob.divad

Established Member
Routes:

Manchester Airport-Blackpool North
Liverpool-Blackpool North?
Leeds-York?
Leeds-Skipton via Bradford?
Leeds-Ilkley?
Leeds-Selby?
Manchester Piccadilly-Hadfield
Manchester Piccadilly-Man Airport?
Manchester Piccadilly-Crewe?
Manchester Piccadilly-Stoke?

My understanding is the 4 car sets will be West of the Pennines and the 3 car sets east.
Blackpool to Manchester Airport, is definite and I have read that these are necessary for the Hadfield - Glossop trains because the 319s cannot keep to the times of the current trains.

I think we will also see them on the Man Airport to Windermere service once the wires are up to Windermere as it is branded a Northern Connect route.

As for the other suggestions, Piccadilly -> Airport will not exist, the current path will be used by the Liverpool -> Airport via Chat Moss and will probably continue as a 319. I had suggested the Liverpool-Blackpool service might see them, however it has not been branded a Northern Connect route and so I suspect it will stay with the 319s.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Manchester-Blackpool and the occasional Manchester-Windermere service will be the only electric Northern Connect routes. Is there to be a sub-fleet with higher-spec interiors?

Halish Railway

Established Member
Manchester-Blackpool and the occasional Manchester-Windermere service will be the only electric Northern Connect routes. Is there to be a sub-fleet with higher-spec interiors?

By my understanding, all new Civity's will have 2x2 seating like that of a Class 387. This explains why the Neville hill electrics will be formed of 6 coaches instead of the usual 4.

sd0733

Established Member
Manchester pic -Stoke will be three car as I'm not sure 4 cars fit into platform 3 at stoke

The Stoke bay will take 4x 20m coaches but only 3 if they are 23m so depends how long the coaches are for these units.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
The carriages will be 23.7m - around the same length as the carriages on the 323s. The 6 car workings in West Yorkshire will be where 333s with longer carriages are currently used, opposed to ones where 321s or 322s are used. The 333s will also have seats removed from the driving cars to create a layout similar to that on the SWT 455s - the centre cars will retain their existing layout.

xotGD

Established Member
By my understanding, all new Civity's will have 2x2 seating like that of a Class 387. This explains why the Neville hill electrics will be formed of 6 coaches instead of the usual 4.

Best news I've had today!
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.