• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 333 Toilet Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

noddingdonkey

13 years after they were introduced, why haven't the toilet doors on Class 333s haven't been modified to fix the design fault where a passenger leaving the toilet can press "close and lock" on the way out, thus leaving the toilet out of use until the Guard can come to unlock it?

Surely there could be a simple software fix to overcome it, perhaps making the close and lock button need to be pressed a second time to lock it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Not sure it was a design fault, rather just no appreciating what people might do to abuse it.

Close and lock is actually better for the average passenger, as I'm sure we've all experienced when opening the door to see someone in there already - having pressed close but not 'lock' even if there's a chime going off and a light trying to get you to press the lock button!

Sadly, separating the buttons seems the way forward to stop abuse - but will inevitably cause more of these problems - although I'd hope that the new ones with a 'lock' you turn (even if it's still just a switch) might solve the problem - but that then means converting just about every train in the UK!

Crossover

Established Member
First time I used them, I thought the combination buttons were rather inspired...then I realised I was lucky to find an unlocked one!

It is a good idea in theory but the siteing of the buttons is what really causes the issue as people press them as they leave

Class 92

I have noticed on some trains (Class 175s for example) that a lot of people can't find the button to get in never mind to close and lock it!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The turnable "lock" switch is easily the best solution I've seen for powered doors- it's unambiguous as to whether or not it's active.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The turnable "lock" switch is easily the best solution I've seen for powered doors- it's unambiguous as to whether or not it's active.

Agreed. A clever and ingenious idea, and even better than a combined close/lock button.

Status
Not open for further replies.