• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 345 progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The seats are actually well padded (for me, anyway) and decent in width thanks to the generous loading guage - they are almost as big as double-deckers. I'm not tall so can't comment on that spectrum.

I'd agree, the Z50000 are actually quite comfortable.

As a rule I don't normally like modern stock at all but in the case of the Z50000 I would say it is one of those rare designs where everything is just right and I wish they'd produce a UK loading gauge version...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GospelOak117

As a rule I don't normally like modern stock at all but in the case of the Z50000 I would say it is one of those rare designs where everything is just right and I wish they'd produce a UK loading gauge version...

The Z50000 certainly is different, and I welcome 'out there' designs that stand out from the crowd. I personally was disappointed when Alstom pulled out of the running for Thameslink as their Xtrapolis UK design would have offered something quite unique.

On the subject of the aventra, during the walkthrough video posted here by Railway Gazette, does it appear to anybody else that there is a huge dent/scuff ion the bodywork as the cameraman walks up the outside towards the first 1/3 of the car, or is this a feature that my screen makes look like damage?
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...ossrail-elizabeth-line-trainset-unveiled.html

superalbs

Established Member
The seats on the Class 345s appear to be a squarer form of the awful Fainsa ironing boards. Ugh!!

class387

Established Member

Not sure how a UK loading gauge version would be like - just look at how the UK Pendolino turned out. :D They could definetely replicate the interior feel though.

samuelmorris

Established Member
The Z50000 certainly is different, and I welcome 'out there' designs that stand out from the crowd. I personally was disappointed when Alstom pulled out of the running for Thameslink as their Xtrapolis UK design would have offered something quite unique.

On the subject of the aventra, during the walkthrough video posted here by Railway Gazette, does it appear to anybody else that there is a huge dent/scuff ion the bodywork as the cameraman walks up the outside towards the first 1/3 of the car, or is this a feature that my screen makes look like damage?
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...ossrail-elizabeth-line-trainset-unveiled.html

I see what you're referring to, it's hard to tell with such a low-res video (240p in 2016?) but it looks perhaps like a plastic bag containing something that's been stuck to the side. Why that should be I've no idea.

Class377/5

Established Member
I see what you're referring to, it's hard to tell with such a low-res video (240p in 2016?) but it looks perhaps like a plastic bag containing something that's been stuck to the side. Why that should be I've no idea.

Worth pointing out that 345002 interior wasn't finished with other videos showing internal panelling missing. Might be why the doorway I mention was dark, because it perhaps didn't have lights.

Seem strange to do such a big press event with an incomplete unit.

fgwrich

Established Member
Worth pointing out that 345002 interior wasn't finished with other videos showing internal panelling missing. Might be why the doorway I mention was dark, because it perhaps didn't have lights.

Seem strange to do such a big press event with an incomplete unit.

Indeed, but this is Bombardier! At least it's an incomplete train their showing off, not a completed but then the door buttons have fallen off train.

:lol:

The problem I have with the darkness of the interior is that it might be fine for a train which will spend most of not all of its life above the ground - like a DLR unit, but for one that will spend half its journey in a tunnel across London - so it'll be relying more on the quality of the interior lighting than if you had a lighter brighter one. I feel that this'll be more sitting in a fridge with Only the door light for company, than like sitting in a bright white fridge as someone in the press article said.

samuelmorris

Established Member
If I'm seeing correctly, there are circular spotlights in the ceiling pattern that are not illuminated in the press photos/videos, a little like those fitted to 378s and the older Connex Electrostars that have those pointless opaque diffusers on the lighting. Having those lit might make all the difference - no getting round the dark grey wall panels but with more light perhaps that'll be good enough.

class387

Established Member
If I'm seeing correctly, there are circular spotlights in the ceiling pattern that are not illuminated in the press photos/videos, a little like those fitted to 378s and the older Connex Electrostars that have those pointless opaque diffusers on the lighting. Having those lit might make all the difference - no getting round the dark grey wall panels but with more light perhaps that'll be good enough.
Seen them as well now. They can be seen quite easily on the Railway Gazette article. As said, I would prefer Z50000 style spotlights, but these will make a ton of difference to the atmosphere inside the train.

Class 170101

Established Member
They enter service as 7 car first (it's equivalent to 8 x 20m) - platform extensions, new platforms and SDO infrastructure won't be in place initially, but will be in time for the Crossrail core opening, at which point the 7 car units are extended to 9 car.

The main killer here is Liverpool Street Platforms 16 to 18 which will never take a 9 car in its current state. One Liverpool Street is re-built two of three platforms will remain but as 9 car (Class 345) length.

Some tests are booked between Gidea Park and Shenfield later on this year overnight.

samuelmorris

Established Member
The media blurb suggested that 9-car trains would operate from 2018, but my understanding is that the route from Shenfield doesn't go into the tunnels until the very end of the decade, so are they presumably referring to the Abbey Wood branch and core with that?

D365

Veteran Member
The media blurb suggested that 9-car trains would operate from 2018, but my understanding is that the route from Shenfield doesn't go into the tunnels until the very end of the decade, so are they presumably referring to the Abbey Wood branch and core with that?

Take a look at the diagrams here.

phoenixcronin

I must say I quite like the interior, but my god that front design is absolutely hideous! it looks like a squashed fish, the headlights should have been angled back instead of the upright column that we have now. For example, this earlier concept art had a much nicer front design: http://www.railwaygazette.com/uploa...class345-bombardier-aventra-impression_06.jpg

what a shame they decided to go with the fishface in the end.

Also, I hope the area underneath the pantographs are well lit, unlike the Class 378s where the lights underneath the pantograph have horrible plastic diffusers fitted, which are often very dirty/foggy and hence don't let enough light through.

Last edited:

transmanche

Established Member
The problem I have with the darkness of the interior is that it might be fine for a train which will spend most of not all of its life above the ground - like a DLR unit, but for one that will spend half its journey in a tunnel across London
Half? About 20 mins of a 100 min journey from Reading to Shenfield will be in tunnel. (Or about 25 mins of an 80 min journey from Reading to Abbey Wood.)

samuelmorris

Established Member
Take a look at the diagrams here.

I'm aware of the diagrams but obviously that was a long time ago, wasn't sure if they were still current. I had forgotten that the GE connection was May 2019 and not December, got the GE and GW (beyond Heathrow) sides mixed up.

I agree the concept design front end looked much nicer - if that panel with all the holes gets covered by something they wouldn't look so bad, but it looks rather like the horns are in there, so doubtful.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'm aware of the diagrams but obviously that was a long time ago, wasn't sure if they were still current. I had forgotten that the GE connection was May 2019 and not December, got the GE and GW (beyond Heathrow) sides mixed up.

The current info on Crossrail's own website page about the eastern section is here:

From May 2017, new Elizabeth line trains will be introduced on the line between Shenfield and Liverpool Street.

From December 2019, when the Crossrail route fully opens, passengers will be able to travel through central London without having to change trains.

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/eastern-section/

jon0844

Veteran Member
Indeed, but this is Bombardier! At least it's an incomplete train their showing off, not a completed but then the door buttons have fallen off train.

Who says it wasn't complete first thing in the morning and more than just the buttons fell off?! :D

I should point out that the button issue has now been addressed. Not sure if the replacements won't fall off again in the future, but time will tell. I am somewhat concerned that it took WELL OVER A YEAR for the issue to be dealt with. Some might say it's hardly a major thing, and not a safety issue, but I find it somewhat insulting to those who might be visually impaired that they had to try and find a button some 4-5mm in diameter to open doors, and not have the benefit of any raised symbols to show what each button did. Poor show Bombardier.

Last edited:

Harbon 1

From that video, it looks like the front bogie is tread braked, whilst the others have the wheel-mounted disk brakes? I would guess that the motor bogies have one type, and trailers the other?

I noticed that at work. We don't do anything with the bogies other than drop a carriage on top. The front axle has a black coating over it and no brake, whereas the trailing axle on the front bogie is a convention disc brake.

As for the unfinished nature of the first train, there are currently issues with supplied parts.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Not sure how a UK loading gauge version would be like - just look at how the UK Pendolino turned out. :D They could definetely replicate the interior feel though.

The Z50000 are only 4cm wider than the old Merseyrail class 503 stock which had a similar carriage length; much of the difference on the Z50000 is in the height, and that's only 50cm greater than most UK rolling stock.

So it's probably a lot easier to tweak the bodyshell design of the Z50000 than it would be for any other Continental stock in order to fit it inside our loading gauge. Probably the biggest design challenge would be to re-locate the roof mounted equipment to under the floor in order for the floor to match the UK platform heights.

class387

Established Member
The Z50000 are only 4cm wider than the old Merseyrail class 503 stock which had a similar carriage length; much of the difference on the Z50000 is in the height, and that's only 50cm greater than most UK rolling stock.

So it's probably a lot easier to tweak the bodyshell design of the Z50000 than it would be for any other Continental stock in order to fit it inside our loading gauge. Probably the biggest design challenge would be to re-locate the roof mounted equipment to under the floor in order for the floor to match the UK platform heights.
That's brilliant. Doubt that we would actually see one anytime soon though.

Harbon 1

For those hardcore photters, I have been told* that this is the first unit moving from Derby to Old Dalby tomorrow morning:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R21173/2016/08/17/advanced

The unit was raked up at Litchurch Lane with three ferrywagons either end as barriers, I assume because of the length of the unit.

*I accept no responsibility for anyone getting up really early for it not to run or be something else :D I'll be out anyway so you won't be the only one hard done by if that the case!

superalbs

Established Member
For those hardcore photters, I have been told* that this is the first unit moving from Derby to Old Dalby tomorrow morning:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R21173/2016/08/17/advanced

The unit was raked up at Litchurch Lane with three ferrywagons either end as barriers, I assume because of the length of the unit.

*I accept no responsibility for anyone getting up really early for it not to run or be something else :D I'll be out anyway so you won't be the only one hard done by if that the case!

"Runs on 17th August 2016"

Does that not mean it has already ran, or am I missing something?

Class377/5

Established Member
According to TfL's latest business plan,the first unit is due to be delivered to Ilford in February 2017, a month after the driver's start on the simulatior.

LowLevel

Established Member
It was sat in the up goods at Melton Mowbray at about 0640 today. Here's a poor quality picture (attached) - just to confirm and expel any misinformed niggling doubts, I'm a guard and so most definitely wasn't taking a picture when driving! :D

Attachments

• IMAG0711.jpg
    IMAG0711.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Wow, they've designed trains without toilets to run all the way to Reading ?

Major mistake, you mark my words.

Status
Not open for further replies.