• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 345 progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

physics34

Established Member
gave them my second spin today and can i just confirm how load and irritating the door open chime is. Even an older lady opposite me nearly jumped 3 feet in the air when hearing that piercing sound.

I still regard the seats as too hard and the ride quality being worse than 315s. I still sort of like them though!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spark001uk

Established Member
Last Thursday (5th) 345027 was on test on the GWML, and I also saw 345003 over the back of OOC, coupled up to ROG 37608.

Buggleskelly

022 is a 7 car, it's donated 2 of it's vehicles to 001 for testing purposes.

Ah, that explains it then. Thanks for solving that mystery. Speaking of 001, can we ever expect it and sister units 002-004 to join traffic any time soon, or are they just for testing purposes only?

003 is in passenger service already, 022 replaced 004 as the 15th and last 7 car, was going to be 345003-017

Aventra

Ah, that explains it then. Thanks for solving that mystery. Speaking of 001, can we ever expect it and sister units 002-004 to join traffic any time soon, or are they just for testing purposes only?

I’m not too sure on the current plan with 002 & 004 but as stated 003 is in service over on the east side now. They’ll be a few RLU units heading over to Old Oak in the coming days / weeks ready for the service that will start in May between Paddington and Hayes Bay. Once the testing has been completed on the Heathrow branch the FLU’s will enter passenger service and take over the full Paddington to T4 route. 019 is the unit currently on test on the Heathrow branch.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I did notice a couple 345s floating around today on the GWML, I suspect driver training?

Anyhow it was good to see on Monday a good portion of the off-peak Shenfields were 345s

spark001uk

Established Member
021 + one other at Abbey Wood just now. 021 has a driver and ready to go by the looks.
(I was going to say ready to go West, but it's not exactly going to go east is it! ;) )

reddragon

Established Member
There were 3x class 345s active on the GWML yesterday. 020 was leaving Maidenhead, 024 was moving at OOC plus another at Slough, didn't catch number.

spark001uk

Established Member
Yes there are two diagrams which run variously between Paddington, Friars Loop, West Ealing Loop and Maidenhead sidings.
That's right, and last week when I saw one at pad it was oddly booked into p7, which is a hex platform. Although it didn't actually go there in the end, it used 12 I think.

That's right, and last week when I saw one at pad it was oddly booked into p7, which is a hex platform. Although it didn't actually go there in the end, it used 12 I think.
I was on one last week and the instructor said we weren’t to go into platforms 6 or 7. On that day we changed ends at the gantry signals beside Royal Oak.

spark001uk

Established Member
I see there's quite a few units in old oak now, assume once full they'll start filling Maidenhead? I heard a while back Maidenhead was going to be filled first, but I guess not now.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Just saw a class 345 go through Perivale I guess on the way to old oak. It looked very small though almost as if one carriage or part of a carriage was being towed,

spark001uk

Established Member
Just saw a class 345 go through Perivale I guess on the way to old oak. It looked very small though almost as if one carriage or part of a carriage was being towed,
Yes that was 345014, hauled by 37601.

Edit: 37 has now left it in reception lines.

Last edited:

mrmartin

So what is the overall state of rollout on the Shenfield route? I take it a fair bit and it's still pretty rare to get a 345 in my experience?

samuelmorris

Established Member
I haven't really used the line since the end of March but I used to get the same service each day on a few occasions and it was always a different unit - as far as I know they are continuously rotated - some of the original eastern units have now gone west in prep for the Heathrow services, with more recent arrivals replacing them.

Established Member
Are they being allocated to specific diagrams or are they being shifted around to get exposure to different traffic conditions?
Tends to be the same diagram but it is normal for a 315 to fill in for a 345 - as was the case again this morning. No point giving diagram lists as the line is so short it should only be a few minutes wait before a 345 turns up. Same with the 315s.

There's going to be about 3 or 4 7-cars going Old Oak from Ilford from May to supplement the new West London TfL Rail. As a result, more 315 duties will come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.