• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 350/1 refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RealTrains07

Established Member
Great. So that will leave the Class 350/3s with no yellow driving cabs, and some of the 350/2s that are in the temporary livery.
Isn’t permanent though. The only reason the temporary livery is being put on the 350/1s is to ensure that if they are needed they can be sent back into service quickly instead of being sent back mid way through full livery application

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Monday update.....

The unit which has completed its interior refurbishment (350115) is currently at Long Marston undergoing its corrosion repair and de-livery
The units which have undergone the corrosion repairs (both 350106 and 350123) are both at Bletchley TMD undergoing interior refurbishment.

Tentative plans for at least two of the three to be in service (in multiple) next week with some sort of low-key launch.

Any news on this being the following Monday?

Silverlinky

I don't know how far off seeing the refurbished units in service we are. There has been no briefing on the new PIS system which has been installed (different interface) and it is also apparent that the new system is not compatible with the old system.....so issues would arise when a non refurbed unit is coupled to a refurbed one. The supplier is currently working on a software patch to overcome this.

106 has been reliveried.....and as such is the first mk 1 to receive the LNW livery. Currently still undergoing interior refurb though. 123 is still in post-corrosion (white) livery and is also being worked on internally.
115 is completed internally but remains in LM interim colours. 401 is also at Bletchley TMD.

RealTrains07

Established Member
I don't know how far off seeing the refurbished units in service we are. There has been no briefing on the new PIS system which has been installed (different interface) and it is also apparent that the new system is not compatible with the old system.....so issues would arise when a non refurbed unit is coupled to a refurbed one. The supplier is currently working on a software patch to overcome this.

106 has been reliveried.....and as such is the first mk 1 to receive the LNW livery. Currently still undergoing interior refurb though. 123 is still in post-corrosion (white) livery and is also being worked on internally.
115 is completed internally but remains in LM interim colours. 401 is also at Bletchley TMD.
Is the new PIS system the tv like display screens which have been installed on refurbed TPE and the new northern units?

What happens to the old dot matrix display? I hope they are not being removed

Silverlinky

Is the new PIS system the tv like display screens which have been installed on refurbed TPE and the new northern units?

What happens to the old dot matrix display? I hope they are not being removed

Yes, the "TV Type" screens have been mentioned.....

Chiltern006

Any pics if 106?

Nym

Established Member
The annax (dot matrix) displays were retained on the 185s and I'd hope they are, I'm yet to see a TOC outside of Thameslink be able to make proper use of them large LCDs.

KeTech ones on East Coast are horrid, they don't actually show the info you need.
Northern are just horrific, there's just no need to have a massive LCD screen and display only static text on it with no sight at all on how they're actually going to make it intelligible.

The 185s have a nice blend of having the Annax DMIs for the critical station information and putting non-critical information on the large LCDs, essentially using them as a poster replacement.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
The 185s have a nice blend of having the Annax DMIs for the critical station information and putting non-critical information on the large LCDs, essentially using them as a poster replacement.

Those Annax DMI's are ultra reliable as well, same as they have on 360s, they just don't seem to fail unlike other displays on other trains that are much cheaper.. Also they're not really fading or having dead sections.

RealTrains07

Established Member
350115 is now heading back to Northampton, devoid of all external London Midland branding, in much the same vein as the previous 3 units.
Hopefully soon the 3 units will return to service. They cant afford to keep them out of service much longer can they

pt_mad

Established Member
Whichever 350/3 has the Madame Tussauds branding on now has a vinyl nameplate with the name 'Vic Hall'. Saw it at the weekend. Name looked to be on the first class coach.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Named after long serving colleague who retired last week. Naming ceremony attended by the great and good, including a certain Chris Green.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Has their been any news recently about the return of the 3 refurbished 350/1s to service?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
EDIT: a 350 must have gone up to Long Marston today as i saw a class 57 run light to Bletchley carriage sidings this morning

RealTrains07

Established Member
EDIT: a 350 must have gone up to Long Marston today as i saw a class 57 run light to Bletchley carriage sidings this morning
It wont be any of the 3 units already out since they have all had the corrosion work done.

All we are waiting for now is for 350/123 to return to northampton for livery application then the 3 units are ready to return

Spirit555

57305 hauling 350106 in full revised livery went to Long Marston this morning. There is a video on YouTube

HTH

Mark

Spirit555

Do you know if that is for corrosion repair or is it returning to service?
As it was a "Ghost Livery" one, I would assume corrosion repairs already done. Have no idea why its gone back again, unless something wrong with the original repairs.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.