• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 350/1 refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealTrains07

Established Member
the thing you've got to remember also is that we have 357s, 379s, 350/2s all coming off lease with no home to go to as well as all the heathrow stock. in an ideal world where there is scope to electrify everything and it was actively being done I could see your point, but in a privatised world of cheap new trains and ROSCO"s being profit making machines the ideal use of resources in a economic way is given up to profit. Also, I imagine they are simply not being 'given' away, and that a ROSCO is either going to be leasing them or selling them outright (for the life of me I can't remember which stock is owned by Heathrow airport so some of this might be wrong)
I get your point. I just think this whole issue of TOCs or DfT (cant remember which has more say over things these days :s?) being allowed to choose cheap looking, tech faulty trains rather than prioritise using stock which already exists and is off lease which is good enough stock obvs the DMU shortage doesnt help that fact but..
end of the day if we send 360/2 overseas we will never get them back while at least with stock being off lease it still is here and doesnt get lost forever

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MatthewRead

On Moderation
the thing you've got to remember also is that we have 357s, 379s, 350/2s all coming off lease with no home to go to as well as all the heathrow stock. in an ideal world where there is scope to electrify everything and it was actively being done I could see your point, but in a privatised world of cheap new trains and ROSCO"s being profit making machines the ideal use of resources in a economic way is given up to profit. Also, I imagine they are simply not being 'given' away, and that a ROSCO is either going to be leasing them or selling them outright (for the life of me I can't remember which stock is owned by Heathrow airport so some of this might be wrong)
357's don't you mean 360's they're coming off lease the 357's are staying with C2C!

anamyd

On Moderation
I'm not clear on the future of the 350s in general. When are West Midlands Trains keeping the 350/1s until...? When are WMT keeping the 350/2s until...? When are they keeping the 350/3s until...? When are they getting the 350/4s...? What will happen to 350s displaced from WMT...?

bnsf734

350/1 & 350/3 & 350/4 all secured for the length of the franchise.
350/2 due for replacement during the franchise with no new home to go to.

On Moderation
I get your point. I just think this whole issue of TOCs or DfT (cant remember which has more say over things these days :s?) being allowed to choose cheap looking, tech faulty trains rather than prioritise using stock which already exists and is off lease which is good enough stock obvs the DMU shortage doesnt help that fact but..
end of the day if we send 360/2 overseas we will never get them back while at least with stock being off lease it still is here and doesnt get lost forever
The 360/2 fleet is five trains, which are owned by Heathrow Airport rather than a ROSCO. The ROSCOs aren’t going to be interested as they have plenty of comparable stock coming off lease soon (350/2, 360/1, 379 etc). Likewise Heathrow aren’t in the business of being a ROSCO. Selling them to an overseas operator with similar trains is a logical and sensible move.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The 360/2 fleet is five trains, which are owned by Heathrow Airport rather than a ROSCO. The ROSCOs aren’t going to be interested as they have plenty of comparable stock coming off lease soon (350/2, 360/1, 379 etc). Likewise Heathrow aren’t in the business of being a ROSCO. Selling them to an overseas operator with similar trains is a logical and sensible move.

How many vehicles does Thailand need? It could be a case of selling one vehicle from each set in order to turn them into conventional 4-car sets which are more marketable?

Spirit555

This might sound a daft response but can anyone confirm that 350104 is definitely in for refurb. Main reason being a friend took a picture of it Stafford yesterday and it was still in old livery paired with another unit. Pic attached.

Mark350104_Stafford_220519.JPG

sd0733

Established Member
This might sound a daft response but can anyone confirm that 350104 is definitely in for refurb. Main reason being a friend took a picture of it Stafford yesterday and it was still in old livery paired with another unit. Pic attached.

MarkView attachment 63456

No 104 isnt in for refurb. One driving vehicle had all the bases changed to LM ones months ago but that isnt a refurb. Carpets etc not touched.

Spirit555

According to this post on Flickr (https://flic.kr/p/2ewCwRp), 350115 is the 2nd 350/1 to be refurbished. No idea what the 1st one is though. EDIT: 350104 was the 1st 350/1 to be refurbished.
Is any able to confirm as I have asked about 350104 and been told it's not in refurb. If 115 is second what is the first one then that is almost complete. Seems to be a lot of confusion here.

Mark

RealTrains07

Established Member
Is any able to confirm as I have asked about 350104 and been told it's not in refurb. If 115 is second what is the first one then that is almost complete. Seems to be a lot of confusion here.

Mark
LNR confirmed their are 350s in for refurb as they have a picture of 1 which has been gutted out.(they didnt say which one it was)

350/115 is confirmed to have been started in the gutting process apparently according to a picture posted earlier in the feed

350/104 was apparently in for works but obviously not according to some. Mabye 115 is the first unit for refurb after all??

RealTrains07

Established Member
I'm not clear on the future of the 350s in general. When are West Midlands Trains keeping the 350/1s until...? When are WMT keeping the 350/2s until...? When are they keeping the 350/3s until...? When are they getting the 350/4s...? What will happen to 350s displaced from WMT...?

350/4 due to arrive and enter service before december timetable starts

sd0733

Established Member

Mark
104 definitely isnt in, 115 is the first.
106 was sent to Long Marston for corrosion repairs a while back which seemed to cause some confusion.

Spirit555

I think it appears that only 115 is in at present. Unless someone knows better. Very confusing. All the 350/1's are supposedly going to Long Marston I was told just after 106 went there, again this could be gibber. Who knows.

Mark

Silverlinky

The above is correct...
350115 is undergoing refurbishment at Bletchley TMD
350106 is at Long Marston
350104 is in service!

Spirit555

Thanks for the update. It's quite confusing, especially when it's been said 104 was in.

Lets hope to straightens out when more are stopped for refurb

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not sure which one went in but 350106 came back from Long Marston today. It is a base livery similar to the original livery.

Status
Not open for further replies.