• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 350 for Southern 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

hornbyfan99

When LM gave Southern a class 350 to run on their WLL services, did the run DOO/OPO between Clapham Junction and East Croydon since that section is DOO equipped?

Also is there an agreement with LM to operate 350s if the 377s are down?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fincra5

Established Member
I'd assume that given the lack of DOO Cameras and that the windows in the cab are on the door, mirror/ monitor viewing wouldn't have been restricted, so they'd likely have had a guard for the whole duration.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It's been removed but is available to refit.

It hasn't been removed from them all. I have a number of photos taken last autumn of a few different 350/1s with their shoes still fitted. The shoes are hardly visible when in the raised position, but they can be seen if you get really low down or look from immediately above - I used my phone camera at platform level at Euston.

In the third picture the shoe arm (red arrow) can be seen in its upward angled position which hides it completely when viewed from the side of the train. The rounded leading edge of the pick up shoe is shown by the green arrow.

The fourth picture shows 350118 on the WLL service in P2 at Milton Keynes. I wasn't looking for the shoe gear specifically here, but the photo shows how difficult it is to see the pick up shoe when in the raised position, even though it would definitely become operational later on during that service.

Attachments

• 350120 shoe gear.jpg
    350120 shoe gear.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 354
  • 350120 shoe gear 2.jpg
    350120 shoe gear 2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 310
  • 350105 bogie from above.jpg
    350105 bogie from above.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 350 on Southern.jpg
    350 on Southern.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The only reason the 350/1s could be spared at the time was that LM was in a transition between 321s and 350/2s, so there was an opportunity to fiddle with stock allocations all round affecting a number of cascades. That is no longer the case. IIRC the hire deal also required third party drivers to be trained up from one of the FOCs.

There's no possibility of it ever happening on an ad hoc basis.

NX

EWS as was drove the services, they all drove the Watford to St Albans and Euston to Camden ECS moves.

Class377/5

Established Member
They were out of guage for much of the route and operated under some pretty stringent conditions and for a time were limited to East Croydon platform 5 only, not to mention the whole of the WLL they were OPPOS for passing freights. But they were a stop gap that worked.

OPPOS = http://author.rssb.co.uk/rgs/rulebooks/GORT3056-2 Iss 2.pdf

Was reported at the time that due to the delayed 377/5 causing issues the 350/1 clearance was obtained in just six weeks from idea to being able to run. Quite an achievement.

Sunset route

Was reported at the time that due to the delayed 377/5 causing issues the 350/1 clearance was obtained in just six weeks from idea to being able to run. Quite an achievement.

But form an operators point of view they ran with a list of restrictions longer than your arm with admendments continuously being updated, like the use of more platforms at East Croydon, followed by access to Selhurst Depot via Selhurst, then after a bit longer via Norwood Folk Arrival/Norwood Station (reverse and not all platforms). I don't think they ever got passed for the Up/Down Victoria/Brighton fast lines from East Croydon to Balham, if they did then the paperwork never got admended at our place.

Class377/5

Established Member
But form an operators point of view they ran with a list of restrictions longer than your arm with admendments continuously being updated, like the use of more platforms at East Croydon, followed by access to Selhurst Depot via Selhurst, then after a bit longer via Norwood Folk Arrival/Norwood Station (reverse and not all platforms). I don't think they ever got passed for the Up/Down Victoria/Brighton fast lines from East Croydon to Balham, if they did then the paperwork never got admended at our place.

Oh for sure. Just meant it happened very quickly. Look at the 700s and the list of restrictions and amount of changes so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.