• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 357/2 Original Interior

Status
Not open for further replies.

class387

Established Member
I remember that when the 357/2s were first introduced they had a more purple interior with purple seat covers, which were then replaced with the standard green moquette.

I have four questions regarding these:

1. How long did they have these seats for?
2. Did all the 357/2s have them?
3. Why were the 357/2s built to a different specification to the 357/0s?
4. Does anyone have any pictures of these interiors?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RPM

Established Member
Not sure about the answer to 1.
I think the answer to 2 is yes.
3. As far as I'm aware it was because the 357/0s were ordered before the c2c brand was developed and so they followed the then current green LTS house colours. However when the 357/2s were ordered the c2c brand had been decided upon so they incorporated the purple house colours.
4. I'll try to attach a picture, but I'm not very good at making it work in this forum.

Attachments

• Interior_357218_060906g.jpg
    Interior_357218_060906g.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 161

RPM

Established Member
As that attachment seems to have worked OK, here's the original 357/0 interior for good measure.

Attachments

• Interior 357019 050906a.JPG
    Interior 357019 050906a.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 142

Aws87024

I remember that when the 357/2s were first introduced they had a more purple interior with purple seat covers, which were then replaced with the standard green moquette.

I have four questions regarding these:

1. How long did they have these seats for?
2. Did all the 357/2s have them?
3. Why were the 357/2s built to a different specification to the 357/0s?
4. Does anyone have any pictures of these interiors?

Thanks

3. The 357/0 where ordered to replace Class 310 and 317 units and at the time it was still Prism rail. They where delivered in the old LTS (london, Tilbury and Southend) Green colours. By the time the 357/2's where ordered it had been rebranded c2c so these units where delivered in the purple colours of the new c2c brand.

387star

On Moderation
As that attachment seems to have worked OK, here's the original 357/0 interior for good measure.

Interesting they fitted what look like chapman seats (as fitted to a whole range of stock) only complaint with them is those that have no tables make it too obvious there is the possibility of fitting a table... a clean plastic back would have looked better

overall though not bad seats for an electrostar look more comfy than the typical ironing board variant

class387

Established Member
Thanks all. Looks quite similar to the refurbishment they are currently recieving.

The interior looks a bit strange with the green seat handles. Why didn't they use pink ones just like they used pink poles?

Also, why did eventually replace them with the standard covers, even though it did not keep with the brand?

Bishopstone

Established Member
Also, why did eventually replace them with the standard covers, even though it did not keep with the brand?

Because the purple, non-patterned fabric stained very easily, and soon much of the seating looked a mess. Practicality should, of course, have been considered prior to mass application to a whole sub-class of units!

In terms of the 'how long?' question, I recall about two to three years.

class387

Established Member
Because the purple, non-patterned fabric stained very easily, and soon much of the seating looked a mess. Practicality should, of course, have been considered prior to mass application to a whole sub-class of units!

In terms of the 'how long?' question, I recall about two to three years.
So basically like the new GWR seats on 166205 and LA15. Was it thye same material too?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
No, the Southern fabric is different from what was used on 357201-357228 and the 317/7s which was much more a flat cloth than the Southern 'astroturf'. I recall that it was a bit softer than what is fitted to 166205 and LA15.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
So how long was it before the blue seats disappeared for good because I remember going on a 357/2 in 2008 and it had green seats though they did look worn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.