• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 357s to go to Czech Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian G

Established Member
According to RM, a 357 is to go to Czech Republic via Channel Tunnel, to go on the Test track to test the brakes

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Julian G

Established Member
And a 319 was on the Windsor branch too.

No,
No wonder ChristopherJ asked what are the 67s doing at East Ham EMUD,

Commuter Operator C2c is to send one of its Class 357 'Electrostar' EMUs to the Czech Republic for testing. The company is keen to take advantage of the regenerative braking feature of the Class 357s, but this needs testing and certification for use on Network rail. One set will be towed through the Channel Tunnel to the Velim Test Circuit, east of Prague, for the tests which are scheduled for November 3rd. It will return the same way. C2C has not decided whether the set will be a 357/0 or 357/2, but once certification is granted for using regenerative braking, the company anticipitates savings of up to 25 per cent on electricity costs. The long journey highlights the lack of a UK test track
and that quote is from the Railway Magazine

The Snap

Established Member
No,
No wonder ChristopherJ asked what are the 67s doing at East Ham EMUD,

and that quote is from the Railway Magazine

If it's being towed there, does that mean a British-based loco will take it (eg: 66, 67 etc)?

16CSVT2700

Established Member
November 3rd?
It's the 5th today. I've heard nothing on gen about timings ;)

Tis a wind-up!

class 313

Established Member
"No wonder ChristopherJ asked what are the 67s doing at East Ham EMUD,"

Not too long ago Julian told me diesels cant go on the channel tunnel so this is a wind up...

Even if it was real it would have to be a 92 or summin

Julian G

Established Member
Serious Stuff here now,
the Track Talk Page said:
There was a blue 357 unit in the yard at Wembley yesterday (8th)
possible the same one that was there on Monday ?

This unit is 357 028 and is going to the Czech Republic for testing the new
Regen Braking System to reduce power usage during normal operation.

Santachuff.
If you don't believe that , Go ask Ticketman Tamperman for Status of 357028

T

Tom

"No wonder ChristopherJ asked what are the 67s doing at East Ham EMUD,"

Not too long ago Julian told me diesels cant go on the channel tunnel so this is a wind up...

Even if it was real it would have to be a 92 or summin

It would be diesel to Wembley where a 92 would take it to Dollands Moor or go straight through.

Death

Established Member
Hmmmm... <D
Well, I'm having a hard time trying to spot what's actually going on here, but the Czech Republic does seem to be a bit of a long way to go for brake testing...Especially as it would make much more sense for them to just test it out on sections of the ECML at night, outside of traffic hours! :idea:

As for getting a 357 over to the Czech Republic: I don't know what signalling systems are fitted to the Class 357, but assuming the train is compatible with ECTPS, then it would probably be able to run through France, Germany and Poland without problems - So in theory she could get there under her own "steam"! 8)

As for the channel tunnel: I know for a fact that standard diesel and gas turbine trains (And all other fuel burning vehicles) are strictly prohibited from entering the tunnel with their engines running because of the problems caused by build-up of fumes in the tunnel itself. Even Le Shuttle's own Thunderbird diesel units have to have a self-contained exhaust fume "scrubbing" system fitted - Which is so large that it takes up most of a second car, although the air it produces from the engine exhaust fumes is actually cleaner than the air that we breathe! :eek:

IIRC though: The Channel Tunnel uses 25Kv overhead traction, so theoretically a Class 357 should be capable of going from the UK, through the tunnel itself, and as far afield as the German/Polish border under her own steam before needing another unit to tow it! :evil2:

And if what I have said above is actually true and not just speculation: Who can say that Bombardier stock is bad? :lol:

Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

T

Tom

Death - Europe uses different voltages and different types of power supply so would need to be hauled all the way there!

Sprog

Established Member
Death - Europe uses different voltages and different types of power supply so would need to be hauled all the way there!

....plus the billions of - or lack of - saftey cases stopping it before you get to such trivial things as voltages, signalling, guages............ :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.