• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 360/2s as 350s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomotron

Technically they were built as class 350s.
There were a number of pictures of at least one of them at Northam Depot. From memory the pictured example was all white with the only yellow being cab front connecting door/s
In the ROG Class 360 thread, it was mentioned that most of the 360/2s were rebuilt from 350s into 360s, and that there were photographs of them. Does anybody have more information on them, like what their use was? Or crucially, some photos?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In the ROG Class 360 thread, it was mentioned that most of the 360/2s were rebuilt from 350s into 360s, and that there were photographs of them. Does anybody have more information on them, like what their use was? Or crucially, some photos?
The rebuilding was during their manufacturer, they had their gangways removed during fabrication, so were never actually in use as 350s . I’m pretty sure there‘s either photos or a link to photos in one of the earlier threads about 360s. Will try and find them...

here you go, the weld lines are the give away: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...r-heathrow-connect.122798/page-2#post-2353626

Last edited:

greatvoyager

Established Member

The front end of the bodyshell is constructed using the two cornered panels that meet a centre section, so those weld lines are there regardless (even on units that were never destined to have gangways). I don't know the history of these units so can't confirm or deny - but that photo doesn't tell the story.

greatvoyager

Established Member
The front end of the bodyshell is constructed using the two cornered panels that meet a centre section, so those weld lines are there regardless (even on units that were never destined to have gangways). I don't know the history of these units so can't confirm or deny - but that photo doesn't tell the story.
Never knew that.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Interesting point about two panels, so that photo‘s been wrongly explained many times?

Interesting point about two panels, so that photo‘s been wrongly explained many times?

Quite possibly.

I've seen a few of these corner sections arrive on pallets when front end repairs are carried out (one as recent as a few weeks ago for a 185!) and they're consistent with the drawings that I've studied.

I could even debunk it a little further and say that the windscreen portal on a non-gangway unit forms one open portal between all three sections (two corners & one centre as can be traced in the photo), whereas (IIRC from the 350403 v horses incident), a gangway unit has individual 'closed' windscreen portals in each corner section. So I doubt it would even be possible to simply 'chop' the gangway out without changing the entire front end.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Quite possibly.

I've seen a few of these corner sections arrive on pallets when front end repairs are carried out (one as recent as a few weeks ago for a 185!) and they're consistent with the drawings that I've studied.

I could even debunk it a little further and say that the windscreen portal on a non-gangway unit forms one open portal between all three sections (two corners & one centre as can be traced in the photo), whereas (IIRC from the 350403 v horses incident), a gangway unit has individual 'closed' windscreen portals in each corner section. So I doubt it would even be possible to simply 'chop' the gangway out without changing the entire front end.
This is fascinating, thanks for the explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.