• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365 future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class455

Established Member
There will.be reduced 455 usage from 2018 onwards but I don't know by how many.
Unless plans change, this will be due to reliability concerns. I'd estimate it'll be down between 30-35 units out of 46 on diagrams (currently 42 455's are used)
I'd love to see the 365's alongside the 465's at Southeastern but this would be highly unlikely. I think they may find themselves in Wales where electrification is taking place. It was planned that Class 315's would go there, but I don't know what's happening with that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Unless plans change, this will be due to reliability concerns. I'd estimate it'll be down between 30-35 units out of 46 on diagrams (currently 42 455's are used)
I'd love to see the 365's alongside the 465's at Southeastern but this would be highly unlikely. I think they may find themselves in Wales where electrification is taking place. It was planned that Class 315's would go there, but I don't know what's happening with that.
Maybe they can work the Bristol-Cardiff shuttles then:)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A post in wnxx states that all of the 365s are definitely not leaving the GN. Looks like the only units up for grabs are those that were previously going to GWR, and 19 are still staying.

physics34

Established Member
Any updates on the plan for the 365s which are no longer needed on GN?

The DfT really do need to publish and update to the rolling stock plans. So many unanswered questions.....and soon to be an abundance of spare stock.

D365

Veteran Member
Any updates on the plan for the 365s which are no longer needed on GN?

None as far as I am aware. But I do hope that other members will not use this as a prime opprtune to resume their vendettas against the Thameslink Programme.

coppercapped

Established Member
The DfT really do need to publish and update to the rolling stock plans. So many unanswered questions.....and soon to be an abundance of spare stock.

Hmm! Based on the benefit of hindsight and observing the almost total hogsnorton that the DfT has made of any rolling stock procurement or allocation over the past several years I would hope that the DfT keeps well clear of this topic in future.

All this stuff should be left to the users and suppliers of the trains to agree among themselves - and if that means that the enthusiasts have unanswered questions then so be it.

(There should be an emoji after this - but I don't know which one would be most appropriate). :|

bramling

Veteran Member
None as far as I am aware. But I do hope that other members will not use this as a prime opprtune to resume their vendettas against the Thameslink Programme.

As far as I am aware any surplus 365s will go into warm storage, unless anyone knows different there aren't any definite plans for them at present.

Which is a good thing, as the whole Thameslink Programme is imploding more and more by the day, so GN will likely need them when stakeholder opinion demands it.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Which is a good thing, as the whole Thameslink Programme is imploding more and more by the day, so GN will likely need them when stakeholder opinion demands it.

Cite source for the apparent self-implosion of the Thameslink Programme, please?

sd0733

Established Member
If electrification does proceed within 5 or so years round Bristol/Cardiff maybe the spare 365s could end up operating down there alongside their 165/166 cousins. If they require more units in a few years maybe they could all end up down there with the 379s going to replace the rest giving a good size diesel/electric networker fleet at Bristol and a total electrostar fleet on GN obviously except for 700s.
That's probably looking miles too far into the future though!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Was the Thameslink project meant to have been completed by the year 2000, as it was called Thameslink 2000 when the plans were announced many moons ago?
A bit of a railway myth?

AIUI in the original Thameslink 2000 the 2000 was never actually an intended completion date, it would have been started in the early 2000s for completion around 2006. It was cancelled by the then government in 2003 for planning reasons, mainly the Blackfriars and London Bridge station over site redevelopments, rather than straightforward railway reasons.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Was the Thameslink project meant to have been completed by the year 2000, as it was called Thameslink 2000 when the plans were announced many moons ago?

It was called Thameslink 2000 because they expected it to take 2000 years to complete.

I'm told they're quite confident they'll make it, just.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Was it because they'd started talking about it just after the original Thameslink scheme so they needed to distinguish the two. 2000 probably sounded suitably remote in the late 80s, just as "2001 A Space Odyssey" and "Space 1999" seemed a long way off in the 60s ad 70s.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Well that what we were led to believe I mean why else call it Thameslink 2000 then:o

The programme has had many iterations and it was never just one plan.
All this messing about south of the river, and on the GN, was not part of the original plan to upgrade the core.
Crossrail has also had several major iterations since it started (going to Canary Wharf/Heathrow, and not going to Aylesbury for instance).
Initially the aim was Bristol/Southampton-Norwich, would you believe, not a London metro service.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Well that what we were led to believe I mean why else call it Thameslink 2000 then:o

BR publicity department in the early 90s perhaps thought it was a reasonably good name for PR purposes. I don't recall any serious evidence at the time of privatisation that it would be actually finished for the year 2000. Perhaps the PR people had a very naive understanding of the timescales for the likes of TWA Orders...

But this is getting well Off Topic for a thread about 365s...

MatthewRead

On Moderation
BR publicity department in the early 90s perhaps thought it was a reasonably good name for PR purposes. I don't recall any serious evidence at the time of privatisation that it would be actually finished for the year 2000. Perhaps the PR people had a very naive understanding of the timescales for the likes of TWA Orders...

But this is getting well Off Topic for a thread about 365s...
Exactly:-x

Nomad8459

Is it Possible that the class 365s will go onto Paddington to Oxford services instead of the networker turbos - its a direct equivalent but with pantograph, would be suitable for that work - free up the diesels for Chiltern too

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Is it Possible that the class 365s will go onto Paddington to Oxford services instead of the networker turbos - its a direct equivalent but with pantograph, would be suitable for that work - free up the diesels for Chiltern too
Didcot to Oxford isn't electrified!

MarlowDonkey

Is it Possible that the class 365s will go onto Paddington to Oxford services instead of the networker turbos

That was an initial plan, but then 387s were ordered. With the postponement or cancellation of electrification from Didcot to Oxford, it's only bi-modes that can make it to Oxford anyway for the near future.

Jonny

Established Member
That was an initial plan, but then 387s were ordered. With the postponement or cancellation of electrification from Didcot to Oxford, it's only bi-modes that can make it to Oxford anyway for the near future.

I'm also guessing that the 319s are a little bit short in the power department (even on electric).

Nomad8459

Ahh, i cant keep up, i thought the Oxford wires would be done - the delays with the wires are getting silly really

Nomad8459

I had thought ( not a good idea i know ) that the recent Oxford works were a prelim for the wires - (i hope they did the work with wiring in mind!) - just been trying to dig into this and it seems that the programs are deemed as "deferred" - assumed cancelled - but again, reading publications from the sphere stated that the costs of re-training people and staff by not doing things in workable chunks until fully completed just makes things more expensive which does seem apparent - the TPE route was also classed as deferred but is kind of in Limbo, the Bristol Temple Meads (to parkway) and Oxford sections of any. seem to me to be the absolute minimum requirement for the project to achieve anything at all really and to pull them when staff are trained and not to assume them to be ongoing just makes the spend incurred even more surreal. Oh Well - sure the 365s will find a home, good units in my mind.

uxm

I am really confused? didn't great northern say they will replace the 365s ? why don't they replace them with the class 379 or the 387?

Status
Not open for further replies.