• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365 scrap movements + preservation discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domh245

Established Member
But would the 707s have moved if Stagecoach had retained the SW franchise ? The way I read it was it was First / MTR that didn't want them for whatever reason.

Yes, unless they wanted to keep them as a microfleet that didn't work certain services at certain times of day. As they can't put handrails on the ceiling, they weren't judged to meet the 0.25m^2/passenger capacity that was key to meeting the franchise requirements, so they had to go

Yet the class 700 - also a Desiro City - was selected for Thameslink where high capacity was needed due to heavy loadings and standing room on offer was a factor......

There's high standing capacity, and then there's high standing capacity. They suffice on Thameslink, but for the SW metro services they don't (or at least, didn't in the eyes of the DfT at the time of the franchise), though this is getting offtopic for 365 withdrawals!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
707s have a new home, so the situation isn't all that ridiculous.

Albeit quite an awkward fit, and a new home which may not prove all that long-lived. Or else they’ve potentially tied themselves down to Desiro Cities when it comes to SE Metro fleet replacement, and will still have a batch of units older than the rest.

Radley

Every Sunday until 25 April two pairs of 365s will be out all day on KGX - PBO workings - this is due to the work at KGX limiting TLGN services to platforms 9-11 (8 car only).
Are you aware of the first workings of the morning that the two pairs of 365s operate?

Thanks in advance.

Daryl

Established Member
Just thinking about it logically, it doesn't make much sense. The DfT (who will no doubt have the say in what gets ordered now) have gone off the Desiro City due to the standing room issues. They can't get hold of Electrostars any more, so that means if a new fleet is ordered to replace them, it'll be a separate microfleet unlike the rest of the units in the area. Exactly what they don't need.
There is plenty of alternative stock in the short/medium term without having to order new trains for the job though, including another couple of fleets of Electrostars.

D365

Veteran Member
Every Sunday until 25 April two pairs of 365s will be out all day on KGX - PBO workings - this is due to the work at KGX limiting TLGN services to platforms 9-11 (8 car only).
Does this mean that every KGX-PBO service on Sundays is formed by 2x365? Or are the 387s operating some of the PBO services?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Does this mean that every KGX-PBO service on Sundays is formed by 2x365? Or are the 387s operating some of the PBO services?
Theres a mix of 365s and 387s, as the earlier post says it’s only 2 pairs of 365s out.

Radley

I was thinking that, because in the past two Sundays, the 365s tend to have ran at different times. (Not 100% on this though)

Class 466

Established Member
Well they’re obviously on diagrams but they will change each week because of engineering works.

D365

Veteran Member
Thanks. Reason for asking was to find out whether I could turn up on an April Sunday and expect a 365, or if I’d have to be lucky.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Thanks. Reason for asking was to find out whether I could turn up on an April Sunday and expect a 365, or if I’d have to be lucky.

I suggest you asking in the morning on the TOPS allocation thread, I’m sure someone with access to the magic box will have a look for you on which services the 365s are on.

bramling

Veteran Member
Fair enough. Do you know if the 365s operate specific Sunday diagrams, or is it luck of the draw?

They should be specific, because the diagrams don’t properly balance if not, because...

2x387 finish tonight at Peterborough Nene having done one KX to Peterborough trip after spending the day on Fen Line services.

This means 2x387 have to start from Peterborough Nene and finish elsewhere in order to balance.

To complicate the mix, in fact what appears to happen is 2x365 went from Peterborough Nene sidings to Hornsey yesterday, which presumably then allows 2x365 to start at Hornsey today and finish up back at Peterborough Nene sidings. Normally 365s haven’t started or finished their day at Hornsey since May 18 I don’t believe.

Put the wrong stock on the wrong diagram and it doesn’t balance, which means at some point something is going to find its way onto something it shouldn’t, either the driver not having the traction knowledge, or straying in territory it can’t (eg a 365 to Kings Lynn!).

Class319&373

Does anyone know if the GN 365s still utilise their dynamic braking? As I'd like to hope I could get a good final recording of the traction sequence in full.

Aictos

Established Member
Does anyone know if the GN 365s still utilise their dynamic braking? As I'd like to hope I could get a good final recording of the traction sequence in full.
I like to know if the onboard announcements from WAGN are still possible to be played from the cab, announcements like catering, timetable change etc.. I would prefer a reasonable recording of them then the traction itself.

Class 466

Established Member
The 6 units I’ve been on recently all had it isolated.

D365

Veteran Member
As above, I think it’s unlikely. It’s been over a year since I last used a 365, but the vast majority were braking mechanically only...

Do you mind sending me a copy when you do so? I want to get a recording myself, but the only opportunity I’ll have is 25th April. And that’s if I don’t end up on a 387 instead.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It'll be a sad day when the 365s finish. Since moving to Stevenage in the late 1990s I've travelled on the 365s thousands of times.

ashkeba

Established Member
Put the wrong stock on the wrong diagram and it doesn’t balance, which means at some point something is going to find its way onto something it shouldn’t, either the driver not having the traction knowledge, or straying in territory it can’t (eg a 365 to Kings Lynn!).
365s used to go to Kings Lynn?

Established Member
They did indeed but they don't any longer. I don't think they can these days but I#m sure @bramling will know the exact position.

I believe they can't due to the DOO monitors/mirrors on platforms on the Fen Line being decommissioned. 387s/700s have in-cab monitors so are still able to run through to Lynn.

gingerheid

Established Member
So what's the timescale by which GTR need new stock to return to the full timetable (on the assumption that they intend to)? May 2022?

Yes. For 20-odd years. They were the Great Northern premier stock until the 387s came along.

And in the eyes of a few afterwards too...

Class319&373

The 6 units I’ve been on recently all had it isolated.

As above, I think it’s unlikely. It’s been over a year since I last used a 365, but the vast majority were braking mechanically only...

Do you mind sending me a copy when you do so? I want to get a recording myself, but the only opportunity I’ll have is 25th April. And that’s if I don’t end up on a 387 instead.
Thanks for the info, its a shame about the dynamic braking.

And yes if I'm able to get a successful 365 recording before then, I'll share it with you in a post.

365 Networker

365 534 may still have dynamic braking enabled as it was in this video from a few weeks ago:-

However, it also depends on the driver if you hear the dynamic brake - if he releases and reapplies it too much it often cuts out.

I like to know if the onboard announcements from WAGN are still possible to be played from the cab, announcements like catering, timetable change etc.. I would prefer a reasonable recording of them then the traction itself.
The special announcements are all available from the site below:-

You will need an account to download.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Never saw a purple-cab 365 in service, that looks fantastic.

Class 170101

Established Member
I believe they can't due to the DOO monitors/mirrors on platforms on the Fen Line being decommissioned. 387s/700s have in-cab monitors so are still able to run through to Lynn.
In addition Class 317s cannot head north of Ely for the same reason and have been replaced by Class 379s.

Status
Not open for further replies.