• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365 scrap movements + preservation discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adc82140

Established Member
Is it just the Crewe stored examples going for scrap, or will they move on to the Doncaster ones afterwards?

Fuzzytop

While the Doncaster sets are 20 of the 21 sets off-leased by Great Northern this year, the other set (365511) went to Crewe and has already been sent for scrap. So I don't think they are being considered as candidates for further storage, but happy to be proved wrong.

In fact the first scrap move was actually booked to take Doncaster sets to Newport Sims, but didn't run due to gauging issues. I strongly suspect alternative arrangements will be put in place for the disposal of the sets at Doncaster soon.

I am not sure what the future holds for the unit that went up to Longsight, supposedly for ETCS fitment (365525). I believe it has been moved lately to MOD Bicester.

Liam L

37884 dragging 365517 & 365531 through Northfield earlier today

Attachments

• D009A8E4-EC26-4D09-AD1D-B712E52DF5E6.jpeg
    D009A8E4-EC26-4D09-AD1D-B712E52DF5E6.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 47
  • 43FB2E9B-89A6-42BD-8D48-CAC64222F86A.jpeg
    43FB2E9B-89A6-42BD-8D48-CAC64222F86A.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 41

The_Train

Established Member
While the Doncaster sets are 20 of the 21 sets off-leased by Great Northern this year, the other set (365511) went to Crewe and has already been sent for scrap. So I don't think they are being considered as candidates for further storage, but happy to be proved wrong.

In fact the first scrap move was actually booked to take Doncaster sets to Newport Sims, but didn't run due to gauging issues. I strongly suspect alternative arrangements will be put in place for the disposal of the sets at Doncaster soon.
I'm pretty sure that the original plan was for the Doncaster sets to go to Newport and the Crewe sets to go to Booths but the Doncaster move clearly has issues and with the Crewe ones now going to Newport, I'm wondering if alternative arrangements (ie road transfer) are being made for the Donny ones to go to Booths. Purely speculation on my behalf of course!

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
I believe 30- 10 have very quickly gone for scrap the last few weeks (5 moves, 2 each) and the long scrapped accident danaged 365526.
I would have said the fact they were keeping them in warm store suggests there could be a future for them, but this says otherwise...

Paul Jones 88

Could all the running gear and control equipment be taken off a really bad 465 and be reconditioned and installed on a 365 so it can work on 3rd rail?
In true Southern practice, the new AC equipment on the old 455s could be recycled the same way for the empty 465, with a decent refurbishment
In this day and age, I think that the old Southern Railway's way of recycling, making new trains out of old equipment would be admirable.

Mamorin

Could all the running gear and control equipment be taken off a really bad 465 and be reconditioned and installed on a 365 so it can work on 3rd rail?
In true Southern practice, the new AC equipment on the old 455s could be recycled the same way for the empty 465, with a decent refurbishment
In this day and age, I think that the old Southern Railway's way of recycling, making new trains out of old equipment would be admirable.
What your asking for can’t happen as all the 365s are going to scrap.

D365

Veteran Member
Objectively speaking, what would this achieve? Your proposal is to shuffle equipment around different, vastly incompatible fleets. They don't even belong to the same ROSCOs, and that's before considering the vast engineering expense.

SolomonSouth

On Moderation
It can't happen. I believe that there are all sorts of electrical compliance problems

I'm pretty sure that the original plan was for the Doncaster sets to go to Newport and the Crewe sets to go to Booths but the Doncaster move clearly has issues and with the Crewe ones now going to Newport, I'm wondering if alternative arrangements (ie road transfer) are being made for the Donny ones to go to Booths. Purely speculation on my behalf of course!
If you think how quick SIMS can get through them it's more convenient to send them to Newport. From my point of view a sad decision as everything will end up in the shredder. At least with the seeming no-photo rule we wont see their happy faces go into the shredder though.

DanNCL

Established Member
If you think how quick SIMS can get through them it's more convenient to send them to Newport. From my point of view a sad decision as everything will end up in the shredder. At least with the seeming no-photo rule we wont see their happy faces go into the shredder though.
Photos do occasionally get out of Sims - a photo of two of the 91s being cut up earlier in the year made it onto the internet. That said photos are thankfully rare from that place!

adc82140

Established Member
It'll be a case of the various scrap merchants bidding for the contract. Sims will have bid for x number of class 365s. I don't suppose they care which ones they get, as long as the total number is right. If, as said up thread the Crewe ones were originally supposed to go to Booth's then I'd guess that now it'll be the Doncaster ones heading that way, perhaps by road.

Domh245

Established Member
Photos do occasionally get out of Sims - a photo of two of the 91s being cut up earlier in the year made it onto the internet. That said photos are thankfully rare from that place!
I thought the pictures of a 91 being cut up emerged from Sims Beeston/Nottingham - not Newport? I can't remember seeing any pictures of 'processing' at Newport, the closest was Google earth satellite images showing a bunch of vehicles on their side awaiting their turn.

DanNCL

Established Member
I thought the pictures of a 91 being cut up emerged from Sims Beeston/Nottingham - not Newport? I can't remember seeing any pictures of 'processing' at Newport, the closest was Google earth satellite images showing a bunch of vehicles on their side awaiting their turn.
Photos did emerge from Beeston of 91132 being cut up, but a couple also emerged of 91126/91129 being cut up at Newport. I can’t remember where I saw them now.

bramling

Veteran Member

There’s a couple of photos on Facebook groups showing 313s, 442s and 143s at Sims either during or shortly after. Not a pretty sight. Booths seems more civilised in the way they do it.

Green tractor

There isn't a no photo rule, it's just that SIMS is within the gated confines of Newport docks, so Joe public cant just walk up to the fence and get a few snaps

There’s a couple of photos on Facebook groups showing 313s, 442s and 143s at Sims either during or shortly after. Not a pretty sight. Booths seems more civilised in the way they do it.
From what I understand SIMS tear it apart and let the fragmenting machine sort it out, while at Booths the grab operator places the different materials in different skips as he dismantles the vehicle.

brad465

Established Member
Is the SIMS Newport means of scrapping any more efficient at recycling parts than Booths is in terms of usable material after, if known?

ChilternTurbo

Photos did emerge from Beeston of 91132 being cut up, but a couple also emerged of 91126/91129 being cut up at Newport. I can’t remember where I saw them now.
I saw a couple of pictures of the 91s in various states of being dismantled (or ripped apart!) at Newport on the WNXX website. They were behind the member paywall though. Sims process stock very quickly.

From what I've seen on google street view, there's not really anything that can be viewed from the the adjacent road.

DustyBin

Established Member
Is the SIMS Newport means of scrapping any more efficient at recycling parts than Booths is in terms of usable material after, if known?

I’m not sure how far booths process the material to be honest; do they have their own shredder? If not the material will most likely be sold to somewhere that does so the end result will be the same.

43102EMR

Established Member
I'm off to Doncaster next week,wheres best place to get some pics of happy trains at Belmont please.
Tbh you can’t really get any good ones unless you pass by on the train, as it’s south of Doncaster (unless anyone else knows of any lineside spots)

Status
Not open for further replies.