• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365 scrap movements + preservation discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radley

365 534 may still have dynamic braking enabled as it was in this video from a few weeks ago:-

However, it also depends on the driver if you hear the dynamic brake - if he releases and reapplies it too much it often cuts out.

The special announcements are all available from the site below:-

You will need an account to download.

Just hopped on the 1P52 1828 to St Neots yesterday from Stevenage, 365520 has dynamic braking too, although one end of the train doesn't output any sound at all! (Even accelerating!) I found that quite hilarious.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

whoosh

Established Member
I like to know if the onboard announcements from WAGN are still possible to be played from the cab, announcements like catering, timetable change etc.. I would prefer a reasonable recording of them then the traction itself.

I'm afraid not. The Passenger Information System was replaced a few years ago. The old one apparently could only be updated by floppy disk (!) and no one could do it anymore and rumours that the disc was lost anyway.
In the cab, it's the same panel now as class 700s.

Never saw a purple-cab 365 in service, that looks fantastic.

The cab ends have had purple vinyls fitted as the unaltered white was causing reflections in platform DOO monitors. Dark purple is a good remedy.

Aictos

Established Member
I'm afraid not. The Passenger Information System was replaced a few years ago. The old one apparently could only be updated by floppy disk (!) and no one could do it anymore and rumours that the disc was lost anyway.
In the cab, it's the same panel now as class 700s.
Ahh I didn't know the Class 365s now had the same system as the Class 700s, stupid question but does this mean that the CIS codes that are used on the 700s can be used on the 365s even the CIS codes for routes that wouldn't see 365s such as Luton to Rainham, Bedford to Gatwick Airport, Peterborough to Horsham etc or are the CIS codes still traction specific?

Roast Veg

Established Member
I remember this having been said before - the fingers pointed at FCC didn't they?

whoosh

Established Member
Ahh I didn't know the Class 365s now had the same system as the Class 700s, stupid question but does this mean that the CIS codes that are used on the 700s can be used on the 365s even the CIS codes for routes that wouldn't see 365s such as Luton to Rainham, Bedford to Gatwick Airport, Peterborough to Horsham etc or are the CIS codes still traction specific?
I've never tried it! The codes for the routes 365s do are the same codes you'd put in a 700 if you had one of them instead, but I don't know if the whole database for Thameslink routes has been uploaded to 365s.

Joe96

I've never tried it! The codes for the routes 365s do are the same codes you'd put in a 700 if you had one of them instead, but I don't know if the whole database for Thameslink routes has been uploaded to 365s.
From what I remember the 365s could only hold 1000 codes so they will only have GN services on there no Thameslink. The 700s will have all codes for Thameslink and GN services but when the May 18 timetable came in the Thameslink codes were changed so that services that travelled through the core started with a 9 and were 5 digits rather than 4.

The 387/377s have a different system again that holds 9999 codes. The 387s when on Thameslink and now GN will have the 4 digit codes the same codes that will be on the 700s database under the same code number.

So say you had a Kings Cross - Cambridge stopping service the code 7281 for example this would be on all the databases under the same code. Same with a Bedford - Brighton service where the code was created before May 18 would be a 4 digit one.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I remember this having been said before - the fingers pointed at FCC didn't they?
I think it was in that era.

The original announcements were pretty much spot on, decent clarity and sufficient information without over-doing it. Amazing to think they lasted over 20 years without modification. That said there was a slight modification when FCC started. The announcement used to start:

'Welcome aboard the West Anglia Great Northern service to.... Calling at...' When FCC won the franchise the announcement stated 'This train is for...' There was one rogue unit still saying West Anglia Great Northern until relatively recently!

Energy

Established Member
Welcome aboard the West Anglia Great Northern service to.... Calling at...' When FCC won the franchise the announcement stated 'This train is for...'
Probably decided that rerecording for the new brand name would be too much effort an far easier to reuse the old announcements with a bit cut out.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I travelled on the 18:05 from Kings Cross to Stevenage this evening which was formed of 365522 and 365520. 365522 has acquired some NSE blocks on the London end cab front.

A barnstorming run on the down fast, arriving 2 minutes early!

1617307266253.png

D365

Veteran Member
I travelled on the 18:05 from Kings Cross to Stevenage this evening which was formed of 365522 and 365520. 365522 has acquired some NSE blocks on the London end cab front.

A barnstorming run on the down fast, arriving 2 minutes early!

View attachment 93631
Fantastic touch. Hats off to the culprit!

bramling

Veteran Member

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If anyone is interested the 15:37 from Stevenage to Kings Cross (Sunday 3/4) is 365 operated.

There were definitely 2 pairs of 365s out today.

I travelled on the 15:37 from SVG to KGX and the 19:13 return from KGX to SVG. Both 365 operated.

In addition as I alighted at SVG this evening I noticed a pair of 365s were puling out of platform 1 which were working the 19:37 from SVG to KGX.

Last edited:

javipena82

Quick question. Is 365.512 still in service or did it go off-lease already?

Many thanks in advance.

Steve Harris

I lived in Biggleswade for 20-odd years up until 2016; used to use them all the time.
Likewise. I've lived in Cambrige and Peterborough nearly all of my life and can remember the 317's and 365's coming to town. The 365's being a vast improvement on the 317's.

The 700's being not so much as a vast improvement on the 365's. Yes, in some parts they are nice, and better (air con etc). But the ironing board seats really do let them down IMHO.
I'm sad to see the 365's go as I have travelled on them since they were first intoduced.

Southern Dvr

Maybe one/more 365s off for storage at Crewe (where the rest of the stored 365s are) on Wednesday 7th April:

Interesting that its down as a drag. All under the wires.
Seems highly unlikely these will see further use unfortunately, absolutely absurd they aren't being sent to Kent to supplement the 465/466 units there.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Interesting that its down as a drag. All under the wires.
Seems highly unlikely these will see further use unfortunately, absolutely absurd they aren't being sent to Kent to supplement the 465/466 units there.
It's not really "absolutely absurd" when you consider that there would be no way of powering them.
It has been mentioned many times already that their third-rail capability would be prohibitively expensive to re-fit.

bramling

Veteran Member
Likewise. I've lived in Cambrige and Peterborough nearly all of my life and can remember the 317's and 365's coming to town. The 365's being a vast improvement on the 317's.

The 700's being not so much as a vast improvement on the 365's. Yes, in some parts they are nice, and better (air con etc). But the ironing board seats really do let them down IMHO.
I'm sad to see the 365's go as I have travelled on them since they were first intoduced.

Well, I’ve just got a refund on my season ticket, and bought a “runabout” car instead. One more rail user lost thanks to this!

The 365s were certainly the best rolling stock the GN has seen in recent memory, by a very long way.

Whilst this might have been unthinkable a year ago, the current Covid reality does point to it being unlikely they will find other work. I still think it’s not entirely impossible there could be an eleventh-hour GN reprieve, if someone works out a better cascade which manages to offload some older DC stock instead. One would think the leasing company would offer the 365s at virtually zero cost just to avoid storage costs.

Sadly I’d say scrap isn’t an impossibility given the current climate, especially with half the fleet having sat in storage for three years. What a great use of a load of taxpayers money back in the 1990s, the current rolling stock situation is certainly perverse.

Southern Dvr

Well, I’ve just got a refund on my season ticket, and bought a “runabout” car instead. One more rail user lost thanks to this!

The 365s were certainly the best rolling stock the GN has seen in recent memory, by a very long way.

Whilst this might have been unthinkable a year ago, the current Covid reality does point to it being unlikely they will find other work. I still think it’s not entirely impossible there could be an eleventh-hour GN reprieve, if someone works out a better cascade which manages to offload some older DC stock instead. One would think the leasing company would offer the 365s at virtually zero cost just to avoid storage costs.
Very straightforward cascade plan.
365 to Kent.
375/377 to GTR.
455 to scrapyard.

bramling

Veteran Member
Very straightforward cascade plan.
365 to Kent.
375/377 to GTR.
455 to scrapyard.

I just can’t see anyone doing the DC conversion, especially when we know it’s a pretty major piece of work, and with the Kent Networkers themselves probably not having a particularly long-term future assured (though this could change). Add to that the 442 fiasco being fresh in the mind.

The 365s were doing fine on GN, they were absolutely perfect for the peak services they were being used on.

Southern Dvr

I just can’t see anyone doing the DC conversion, especially when we know it’s a pretty major piece of work, and with the Kent Networkers themselves probably not having a particularly long-term future assured (though this could change). Add to that the 442 fiasco being fresh in the mind.

The 365s were doing fine on GN, they were absolutely perfect for the peak services they were being used on.

DC conversion? You mean put the shoes back on?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Seeing as the govt owns them no need to pay any charges at all!

Trouble is all the other stock is locked in under various contracts aligned with various franchises that even the EMRA can't get out of so it wouldn't go down well to pay for trains to sit in sidings that were costing leasing charges.

I get the issue with DC conversion but what old Southern region would have done is cannibalise the trailer coaches and swap them with the tatty NSE Networker vehicles so you get some benefit for minimal cost.

Aint going to happen but the industry is in need of a wholesale assessment of where its best to deploy stock across the UK now in light of the changed circumstances and what is needed to enable that is the Williams Shapps review and a single overarching body to plan and coordinate what services are needed. Be luck if we get an announcement on that before the summer recess i reckon.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
One would think the leasing company would offer the 365s at virtually zero cost just to avoid storage costs.

Even if that were possible, tere's still a cost to GTR associated with keeping crews trained on them (drivers and maintenance).

And they're not owned by a leasing company, they are owned directly by DfT.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Seeing as the govt owns them no need to pay any charges at all!

Trouble is all the other stock is locked in under various contracts aligned with various franchises that even the EMRA can't get out of so it wouldn't go down well to pay for trains to sit in sidings that were costing leasing charges.

Yep. The fleet needs to be downsized, so better to keep the stuff that you're actually paying for, and lose the stuff you can basically write off if you have to.

On Moderation
It's more than the shoes that have been taken off, a lot of the other components have also been removed.
And apparently the process was somewhat destructive, meaning it wouldn't be easy to reverse.
Apparently, i.e. there's no authoritative source for it.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Status
Not open for further replies.