Class 365s to Scotrail

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by Class465fan, 19 Mar 2018.

1. alangla

alangla Member

Yep, plus the flexi-pass as a daily season ticket brigade - you can spot these as they're always scrambling for a pen on the rare occasion a gripper appears on board.

2. gordonjahn

gordonjahn Member

In fairness, having just arrived back home from the station where there are no trains running, who'd fill it in before a train actually shows up?!? I can't imagine getting your money back/ a replacement on a filled-out but unused paper flexipass is easy or quick. Besides, that'll all be fixed when they're all on Smartcards.

3. HellaEllie

HellaEllie Member

any news of more coming?

4. Chris125

Chris125 Established Member

Surely that was something that came about under BR - perhaps the most obvious example are the 165s/166s which exploited the more generous loading gauge of ex-GW routes.

If anything privatisation has helped - the rolling stock market, and the possibility that fleets may move multiple times during their working life, has given ROSCOs an incentive to procure 'go anywhere' designs like the Electrostar and Turbostar.

5. fgwrich

fgwrich Established Member

I rather agree with you there. Don’t forget that NSE also had a particular habit of specifying electrical couplers to be at a different height or the opposite way around to other BR stock of the era - to quote Chris Green and his team “to not allow Reagional Railways to poach it’s own stock”. Ok, so the 185s May be the only post privatisation DMU that may be difficult to transfer but that’s more down to the specifications they were built for than anything else.

6. hexagon789

hexagon789 Established Member

Privitisation has definitely helped the rolling stock market. Though I do wonder whether we'd have some of the stick we have now if BR still existed.

Mind you if BR still existed we might have had HSTs in Scotland already including on the E&G, I'm not sure we'd be having the hotchpotch stock situation and the transfer of 365s.

7. stu99

stu99 Member

Any updates since they were out on the 10th and the 11th? It seams to have gone quiet.

8. scotraildriver

scotraildriver Established Member

Lots of conductor training this week at Eastfield so less movement. Also alot of focus on the modified 385 this week as well.

Last edited: 22 May 2018
  9. stu99

stu99 Member

ahh that is good to know, thanks :)

10. InOban

InOban Established Member

Any rumours on the performance of the modified windows?

11. td97

td97 Member

12. 158_Reason

158_Reason New Member

I know the step boards have been removed from these 365s for clearance issues, But looking at the videos there's plenty of room at the platforms for these. If you compare the videos of them leaving stations down south and stations up here, there doesn't seem to be any reason for removing them. There@s equipment below the sole bar level which sits above the platforms here the same as it does down south. A bit technical but seems another over reaction by boffs up here. I don't like them without the step boards the doors look an odd shape but I am a fan of 365s overall and i'm pretty sure some clown on the E and G will miss the step and fall over.

13. Domh245

Domh245 Established Member

The stepboards were removed temporarily so that they could get training on them ASAP. Unfortunately looking at it and going "ah, it'll be fine" isn't a particularly fool proof method, so whilst they run the numbers and verify that they won't hit the platform when heavily loaded, on adverse cant, etc, the stepboards come off. With any luck, they go back on as they were, but worst case they need 'shaving' before reattaching.

14. D365

D365 Established Member

You know something that the Network Rail rolling stock engineers don’t? ;)

15. Highlandspring

Highlandspring Established Member

The step boards will have 45mm removed from them before the units can enter service.

16. gingertom

gingertom Member

doesn't sound like an expensive or time-consuming mod.

17. D365

D365 Established Member

Angle grinder will do the trick!

18. hwl

hwl Established Member

Not neatly though.
    Sounds like custom jig for a milling machine time...

19. cjmillsnun

cjmillsnun Established Member

I’m waiting to see what will happen to the 458/5s post SWR. I have a feeling they will sit in sidings unused.

20. 59CosG95

59CosG95 Established Member

Surely that's a question for a separate thread; this thread was set up regarding the transfer of 365s to ScotRail, not 458s to somewhere other than SWR.

21. urpert

urpert Member

Zone 5 or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
    I'm hoping they will form part of Stagecoach's successful bid for Southeastern :)

22. 43096

43096 Established Member

Which is also nothing to do with ScotRail 365s.

23. D365

D365 Established Member

Discussion of Southeastern/Kent franchise options continues here.

24. Clansman

Clansman Established Member

Already proposed & discussed to death by most members (including myself) in other threads which may interest you should you use the search bar at the top right.

EDIT: In addition to D365's post, the most recent and relevant thread on 458 speculation and what not can be found here.

25. 158_Reason

158_Reason New Member

most people on this seem too, so stuck my bit in too. I suppose working for network rail gives me the edge tho.

26. Far north 37

Far north 37 Established Member

Sounds like you dont know much about the fabrication industry i am a fabricator myself and that is a tiny minor job that any skilled fabricator could accomplish leaving the same finish as that of a milling machine in a fraction of the time we build warships oil rigs and giant steel structures in the uk trimming a step board wouldnt exactly be hard.

27. Jonny

Jonny Established Member

Does anyone know which routes the 365s used/will use to come to Scotland?

28. InOban

InOban Established Member

According to much earlier posts the first two came up by road but the third was hauled up the wcml. Haven't heard since. I don't know how many have arrived by now.

29. ScottDarg

ScottDarg Member

Only 4 365s in Scotland at the moment.

The first 3 came up by road (365513, 517 & 523) and the 4th (525) came up via the WCML. There's been no moves since 365525 arrived earlier this month (11/05/18).

365513 and 523 are at Eastfield. 517 and 525 are still at Springburn I believe.

Last edited: 28 May 2018
  30. ScottDarg

ScottDarg Member

RailEngineer has posted an article today that talks about the start of full electric service between Glasgow Queen St & Edinburgh via Falkirk High using Class 365s: https://www.railengineer.uk/2018/06/01/full-glasgow-to-edinburgh-electric-service-in-july/