• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365s to Scotrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcmad

No chance of SDA being live by November. The Kerse road bridge isn't due for completion until next spring and they've only just announced the plan for Stirling station which required planning permission as its listed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

InOban

Established Member
Exactly as I reported yesterday evening in #489. (Re the units to be used between E and G)

InOban

Established Member
No chance of SDA being live by November. The Kerse road bridge isn't due for completion until next spring and they've only just announced the plan for Stirling station which required planning permission as its listed.
Since when? Kerse road is due to reopen on 23rd October. And I don't think the work needed to extend DDA access to the far platform will stop energisation.

433N

Does anybody know how long the lease has been signed for ?

(I am strangely excited at the prospect of seeing these on the E&G - more so than the 385s)

gordonjahn

Does anybody know how long the lease has been signed for ?

(I am strangely excited at the prospect of seeing these on the E&G - more so than the 385s)

I agree - these are the surprise though! Also, I know they're not even in service yet, but with the solution to the 385 woes apparently in progress, I'm now wondering where these sets will end up after this spell on the E&G as I don't see Scotrail needing them, preferring to reduce fleet variation.

Obviously they are now cleared for movement up the WCML (for delivery runs, not necessarily in service) and Eversholt will end up with a sub-class cleared for service across a chunk of Scotland unless the mods are un-done before returning.

I do wonder if Scotrail might keep them nearby “just in case”, if we might see some open-access action with them, if their new found clearances make them more attractive elsewhere, or if it’s back to a siding.

sprinterguy

Established Member
That calculation isn't quite right - at the peak time there are four departures from each terminus making eight in total as you say, with each one doubled-up until the unit shortage started. So 16 units required in service every day, plus a number of spares.
Oops, of course you're quite right. I knew there was something very wrong with the figure of eight I produced, but didn't think it through. Post duly edited.

The_Engineer

So far we have six units 365.509/13/17/23/25/37 in Scotland. Any news on what the remaining four will be and when they're moving up?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Highlandspring

Established Member
The first 8 car, made up of 525 and another, ran the full length of thr E&G through to the Waverley and back last night.

Highlandspring

Established Member
"The Waverley" aka Edinburgh Waverley station. Sometimes I forget I am writing for an external audience.

Gadget88

I’m amazed they are brining these old trains into service. Not impressed with them at all.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I’m amazed they are brining these old trains into service. Not impressed with them at all.

Nothing wrong at all with the class 365s. We'd gladly have them back on GN.

scotraildriver

Established Member
With more class 170s leaving in July and No sign of the 385s what would be your suggestion? Just cancel most of the E & G service?

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

It could be worse or better depending upon your viewpoint in that it could have been Class 142 Pacers or loco hauled Class 442s (I believe there are 6 that South Western Railway will not be using).

Now then, where did I hang my jacket?

bramling

Veteran Member

What exactly is it you dislike about them?

They’re certainly not old - barely half life in fact - and have just recently had a heavy overhaul to bring the interior to as-new condition and make them accessibility compliant. They were nicer with their original layout (which was modified to fit priority seats) and carpet, but apart from that in my view they’re much nicer than a 380 which I find very clinical. The 365 also delivers a lot of seats for a given length of train due to a very efficient interior layout, and the heating is effective so you’ll be warm in winter.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
What exactly is it you dislike about them?

They’re certainly not old - barely half life in fact - and have just recently had a heavy overhaul to bring the interior to as-new condition and make them accessibility compliant. They were nicer with their original layout (which was modified to fit priority seats) and carpet, but apart from that in my view they’re much nicer than a 380 which I find very clinical. The 365 also delivers a lot of seats for a given length of train due to a very efficient interior layout, and the heating is effective so you’ll be warm in winter.
forgive my ignorance, but as 365s were originally Thameslink trains and were built for dual voltage operation may I ask what the need for trains that can operate on overhead and 3rd rail is in Scotland?

Status
Not open for further replies.