• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365s to Scotrail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mde

Al Dalton's been reading the forum again…

ScotRail's 'Happy Trains' to start running on Saturday
The first of ScotRail's stand-in "Happy Trains" will start operating on the main Edinburgh-Glasgow line on Saturday, The Scotsman has learned.

image.jpg

Ten "Happy Trains" will run on the main Edinburgh-Glasgow line. Picture: ScotRail Alliance
The Class 365 electric trains have been drafted in to ease overcrowding after a brand new ScotRail fleet was delayed.

Other trains have gone after their leases expired.

The first services are due to run between Glasgow Queen Street and Edinburgh Waverley via Falkirk High late on Saturday evening.

They will operate the 2230 Glasgow-Edinburgh and 2330 Edinburgh-Glasgow services.

The 23-year-old trains' nickname is because they appear to smile.

They previously ran London commuter services.

A memo sent to ScotRail staff from Graham Heald, its head of customer experience, said: "I’m pleased to be able to confirm that our temporary class 365 trains will begin to enter service from late evening on Saturday, 23 June.

"One eight-carriage train (2 x 4-carriage units) will enter service at first, with more trains due to enter service over the coming weeks.

"Once all the trains are in service, seven of the eight trains per hour between Edinburgh and Glasgow via Falkirk High will be electric.

"The entry into service of these trains is the result of a lot of hard work by teams across the ScotRail Alliance, and the effort will not go unnoticed by our customers.

"Once all trains are in service, there will be an extra 17,200 seats per day between our two biggest cities."

However, the trains don't have wheelchair ramps or wi-fi, unlike the diesel trains on the route they will replace.

Station ramps will be used instead.

The trains will also not call at Bishopbriggs or Lenzie because they are too long for the platforms.

Brand-new Class 385 electric trains have been delayed because of problems drivers have encountered seeing signals through their windscreens, which are being replaced.

The first of these trains is expected to carry passengers on the line next month.

They will introduced first at weekends, then off peak before running commuter services.

ScotRail has confirmed it on Twitter as well.

https://twitter.com/ScotRail/status/1009430444956422144

ScotRail said:
1f603.png
The first of ten Happy Trains enter service on our Edinburgh - Glasgow via Falkirk route this Saturday! These will allow us to add 17,200 seats a day to the route for our customers.

Introducing these trains has been made possible thanks to the hard work of our people in both ScotRail and Network Rail Scotland.

bramling

Veteran Member
Hate it all you want, it's a great way to deflect the age of the units.

I don't see why there should be a need to deflect their age. At 20 years they're pretty much exactly half-life, and have just been refurbished and brought up-to-date - thankfully not succumbing to ironing boards like some other trains. I don't think a half-life train is anything to be ashamed about.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't see why there should be a need to deflect their age. At 20 years they're pretty much exactly half-life, and have just been refurbished and brought up-to-date - thankfully not succumbing to ironing boards like some other trains. I don't think a half-life train is anything to be ashamed about.

No, but in a country that has an irrational obsession with new cars (rather than cleaning and maintaining them properly over a longer period) it is a sensible marketing gimmick.

mde

No, but in a country that has an irrational obsession with new cars (rather than cleaning and maintaining them properly over a longer period) it is a sensible marketing gimmick.
On the point of cleaning, I'm surprised no one's complained on their social media posts about how filthy the windscreen is… yes, some of the complaints on there really are that petty.

This is good news overall though - the units are here and working within a relatively short space of time - hopefully they will be well received.

JohnMcL7

I don't know if people are that bothered about the age of trains up here, the 170's are about as new as it gets and there's regularly much older stuff on the go (sprinters, the sleeper, HST etc.)

JohnMcL7

It's worth remembering that a 365 is only about 5 years older than a 170.

That was my point, the 365's aren't that old compared to what else is running up here. I think people are much more concerned about the capacity.

John

JohnMcL7

I still think of both 170s and 365s as new.. starting to make me feel old now!

Don't worry, the 170's are the 'new' ones to me as well hence I found it odd to think people would be bothered by the 365's as 'old'

John

bramling

Veteran Member
Don't worry, the 170's are the 'new' ones to me as well hence I found it odd to think people would be bothered by the 365's as 'old'

John

The only things which a 365 lacks over a 170 is air conditioning and full tables, although the half tables in many ways are better as they do the job without getting in the way. As for air conditioning, if people find the windows intrusive (personally I don't), wedging them half open with a piece of screwed-up newspaper provides a happy compromise, and also avoids the issue of them slamming closed in tunnels.

gsnedders

Established Member
A lot of it is the perception that London gets "new" (700s, 345s, 387s, 707s, 710s, etc.) whereas the rest of the country gets the things that are "too old" for London (given their replacement), rather than anything about the age itself.

The_Engineer

A lot of it is the perception that London gets "new" (700s, 345s, 387s, 707s, 710s, etc.) whereas the rest of the country gets the things that are "too old" for London (given their replacement), rather than anything about the age itself.
But these are stop-gap trains until the new ones arrive! What's required was seats-for-bums, any available and suitable train. They fit the bill. What's the problem??

mde

I don't know if people are that bothered about the age of trains up here, the 170's are about as new as it gets and there's regularly much older stuff on the go (sprinters, the sleeper, HST etc.)
The media perpetuates this by banging on about the age and 'cast offs' - the common one is when talking about the Inverclyde stock, but, others as well. Curiously, the one they often seem to forget about is the Mk2s running on the Fife circle, despite being them oldest in the ScotRail fleet.

As for newest, you're not far off - the 170s and 334s are roughly the same age, the newest in service are the 380s.

gsnedders

Established Member
But these are stop-gap trains until the new ones arrive! What's required was seats-for-bums, any available and suitable train. They fit the bill. What's the problem??
I think many don't realise these aren't the "new and better" trains all the ScotRail marketing is about.

Southsider

I think many don't realise these aren't the "new and better" trains all the ScotRail marketing is about.
I think you’re right. There was a tweet earlier today (can’t find it now) by someone who had seen the “new, white Hitachi train”. Rather than correcting the misconception the Scotrail reply endorsed it.

Rick1984

It would be nice if they could gradually add some Scotrail vinyls in reverse livery to them, as aluded to in early posts.

Rick1984

Yes that what I meant but in reverse. While base dark blue Saltires and probably keep the dots light blue

jon0844

Veteran Member
Who says they are returning>

I can't see them coming back. There are some 387s standing in at the moment (in some cases split up so a 12 car 387 becomes three 4 car services) and that'll probably do until they get 700 drivers up.

Let's remember that while I think the 365s are a personal favourite that I have many fond memories of, many of them were falling to bits. They need some serious TLC. Maybe the remaining ones are the best of the bunch but the ones rotting away near Ely won't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.