• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365s to Scotrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
Given the lack of comment on this thread of late, is it fair to assume that these units, though not in pristine condition, are doing what is required of them?

They certainly seem to be reliable - I'm regularly using them and haven't encountered any problems, although only half the lights were on in the carriage I was in this morning.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stopper

There has been more than one that has failed. They’re certainly not as good as the other traction on the route, but they ensure that there is less standing in the peaks, on the 8-car sets at least.

route101

Established Member
They certainly absorb a lot of passengers when they are 8 car . Been fairly clean when ive been on them .

Tirov

Maybe they should be used on the Barking Gospel Oak line? Seems obvious when the line awaits it's new delayed trains and doesn't manage with 2 cars diesels!

jaffachief

Has anyone else noticed an electrical burning smell/burnt clutch smell with these trains? I only notice it now and again and it doesn't seem to cause any obvious problems.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I think that’s when the driver has been riding the clutch waiting at the traffic lights or trying to change down gear too quickly.. ;)))

bramling

Veteran Member
Has anyone else noticed an electrical burning smell/burnt clutch smell with these trains? I only notice it now and again and it doesn't seem to cause any obvious problems.

Must be a new thing as never noticed that on GN. Unless you’re referring to a sweet metallic type smell, in which case that is simply the friction brakes having heated up on heavy braking. If so, nothing to worry about as long as the smell dissipates soon after.

alexf380

Established Member
Would that be a similar smell to that which sometimes appears on the Mk4 coaches used by East Coast? if so then as Bramling said, it's just the brakes.

Stopper

Any confirmation (or even rumours) about what is happening to these after the 385s are in?

Stopper

And the rest of them? Certainly 10 diagrams aren’t needed for those routes. Will they do the Cumbernauld/Grahamstons as well?

mcmad

given that a lot of certainly the Glasgow trains currently run as 6 car in the peak then I'd think by the time you allow for maintenance most of the 10 units will be fully employed on the SDA route.

whhistle

On Moderation
To be fair, despite me not really liking Scottish politics, I admire their "get on and do it" policy.
I can't see stock transferring and being put into service as quick as what Scotrail have with these units.

jaffachief

If the these trains were running to Dunblane or Alloa, what would happen to Lenzie, Bishopbriggs etc.? Lenzie folks are already a wee bit piqued...

mcmad

The problems will occur on those already booked as 6 car 156 as they're usually full and standing by Lenzie, not sure how a 50% reduction will go down given the longer/faster/greener and best ever railway promises.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
what stations on the Dunblane & Alloa routes would not handle a 160m train?

And if the answer is "Dunblane, Bridge of Allan and Alloa" could splitting be used?

mcmad

263 seats on a 365 v between 420 and 489 on 3 156’s according toPorterbrook and wiki (i know)

Voyager lad

what stations on the Dunblane & Alloa routes would not handle a 160m train?

And if the answer is "Dunblane, Bridge of Allan and Alloa" could splitting be used?
Bishopbriggs, Lenzie, Larbert, Bridge of Allan and Alloa. Splitting could be used but 365s don’t have selective door opening so couldn’t stop at Bishopbriggs Lenzie or Larbert if running as 8 carriages, even if they were to split at Stirling

Macwomble

even if they were to split at Stirling

Is crossing to the Alloa "road" possible from platforms 2/3 at Stirling OR is crossing to the Perth "road" possible from platforms 8/9?
Not so sure but no doubt someone "in the know" will clarify.

marks87

Established Member
You can get to Perth from 8 & 9, but you can’t get to Alloa from 2 or 3.

Stopper

It’s platforms 6&9 at Stirling that are the Alloa routes.

The 365s would not be running as 8-car on anything through Stirling, absolutely guaranteed. They would be 4-car units only, and they would be very full ones indeed. It’s an issue that would cause peak time services to be rammed full, but this has been the case short term (or rather long term regardless) on the E-G, so the Stirling commuters will just have to sadly make do with it.

It would be sensible to put a couple of the units on the Cumbernauld/Grahamston terminators, to free up the 380 (unaware of how many?) back to the Inverclyde line.

There would still be a few units left over too, I would assume.

gordonjahn

Bishopbriggs, Lenzie, Larbert, Bridge of Allan and Alloa. Splitting could be used but 365s don’t have selective door opening so couldn’t stop at Bishopbriggs Lenzie or Larbert if running as 8 carriages, even if they were to split at Stirling

Lenzie (and to a lesser extent Bishopbriggs) are already without some E&G services that are operated by 365s - at least the 0630 GLQ-EDB, the 1730 EDB-GLQ, 2300 EDB-GLQ are running through at the moment. As someone that asked Transport Scotland and Scotrail about platform extensions 5 years ago (16th July 2013...) for use by full length trains during times of perturbation (this was always likely...) it's pretty rubbish.

To use double-365s to Alloa and Dunblane will need a lot of platform extensions Transport Scotland and Scotrail have been trying to avoid for years so it just won't happen, but double 156/158s have been showing up on peak services instead of double-170s so a single 365 might not be that different in terms of the currently provided capacity, however woeful it is. I assume more people can fit in the 365 aisles/vestibules (plus no centre cabs) to make up for the shorter length.

PanRoof

I have worked on the Class 365s for a while now and they don’t seem the most reliable of trains. Would be surprised if Scotrail took the option to keep these trains now that the 385s are starting to come one board more.

Status
Not open for further replies.