• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365s to Scotrail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PanRoof

What's been going on with the 365s recently? Majority of services running 365s are either shortformed or running 170s instead?
The 365s and I believe one 385, have been getting their carbons damaged by the line somewhere near Croy (as the previous poster said). Instead of the line giving equal wear across the pan, the line is creating a groove in the carbon and it is then staying in that groove, wearing them down to the metal and causing all sorts of problems.

Chuggington21

The 365s and I believe one 385, have been getting their carbons damaged by the line somewhere near Croy (as the previous poster said). Instead of the line giving equal wear across the pan, the line is creating a groove in the carbon and it is then staying in that groove, wearing them down to the metal and causing all sorts of problems.
Not just 1

Mingulay

I believe it’s only (mainly) the Edinburgh-Dunblane service that will use the 365s. Glasgow-Alloa and Cumbernauld services should be exclusively 385.

Having now used these trains on the Dunblane service for a month now. I’m a real fan of the 365. Whilst they are a bit spartan they are airy,good legroom warm and if too warm you can open a window. They are also cleaner. Perhaps easier to clean vinyl floors and seats comfortable and easier to clean? If I were Scotrail I would keep them in reserve at least for a while. With a modest tart up of seat fabric they would be smart

Good work sourcing these units !

InOban

Established Member
AIRC they're leased for twelve months, but I can't remember when that ends.

Journeyman

Established Member
Having now used these trains on the Dunblane service for a month now. I’m a real fan of the 365. Whilst they are a bit spartan they are airy,good legroom warm and if too warm you can open a window. They are also cleaner. Perhaps easier to clean vinyl floors and seats comfortable and easier to clean? If I were Scotrail I would keep them in reserve at least for a while. With a modest tart up of seat fabric they would be smart

Agreed, I miss them now they've gone from the E&G. They're really not bad at all, and any issues with them wouldn't be hard to resolve, should ScotRail want to keep them for longer. I certainly preferred travelling on them to the 385s, which have stark, cold interiors and horrible seats with poor window alignment.

physics34

Established Member
Agreed, I miss them now they've gone from the E&G. They're really not bad at all, and any issues with them wouldn't be hard to resolve, should ScotRail want to keep them for longer. I certainly preferred travelling on them to the 385s, which have stark, cold interiors and horrible seats with poor window alignment.
Unfortunately leasing costs are a higher priority than passenger comfort

Stopper

It’s obviously opinion but I much preferred the 385s to the 365s. Found them more comfortable to stand on and felt like there was a bit more space. They also felt a bit dirty and you could definitely tell that they were temporary. The 385s aren’t great but I definitely preferred them.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
any ideas on scotrail thinking of keeping a hold of the 365's for any longer?

If the East Kilbride/Barrhead lines were electrified, they'd be perfect. Sadly they aren't so I'm not sure there's much use for them with the 385s nearing full introduction.

VioletEclipse

Having travelled on a few recently I completely agree with you, I didn't like them at first but they are great trains to travel in, especially with the windows open! :)

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Having travelled on a few recently I completely agree with you, I didn't like them at first but they are great trains to travel in, especially with the windows open! :)

Indeed! Nothing quite like a 100mph run on the ECML down fast on a hot summers day with all windows open :D

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
With the 365s about to go off lease in the next few months, I wonder if Scotrail have made any plans to retain any. They are great runners and it would be smart to see them fully refurbished with the new seating that the 156s got (same as the 385s) then relivered into Scotrail livery.

I can’t see any routes sadly which need them! It would be interesting to see them on Argyle Line or North Clyde line services but new 321 conversions have just been introduced so doubt they need anymore... Plus Northern have probably already assigned them to a route

Mingulay

With the 365s about to go off lease in the next few months, I wonder if Scotrail have made any plans to retain any. They are great runners and it would be smart to see them fully refurbished with the new seating that the 156s got (same as the 385s) then relivered into Scotrail livery.

I can’t see any routes sadly which need them! It would be interesting to see them on Argyle Line or North Clyde line services but new 321 conversions have just been introduced so doubt they need anymore... Plus Northern have probably already assigned them to a route

I would think they keep them in reserve if they can If they send them back and the 385 s develop an unforeseen fault or they are not all delivered. Abellio are going to look very stupid or more inept. If they are short of EMUs after May. Just given the Abellios propensity to stand on banana skins. Scotrail management should err on the safe side. Keep them in reserve.

Some fresh seat cushions they would be some of the best trains we have.

bramling

Veteran Member
Indeed! Nothing quite like a 100mph run on the ECML down fast on a hot summers day with all windows open :D

Or a cold day for that matter! ;)

(Especially as the 365 heating can be very effective, for certain seats in particular - the bays of four at the non-cab end of the driving cars are particularly nice, especially on the opposite side to where the driver sits).

route101

Established Member
Or a cold day for that matter! ;)

(Especially as the 365 heating can be very effective, for certain seats in particular - the bays of four at the non-cab end of the driving cars are particularly nice, especially on the opposite side to where the driver sits).

Though sometimes the windows are open and the heating is at full whack!

physics34

Established Member
Did one on a cambridge fast a couple of years back. Great! Noisy, fresh air, spacious. 365s are good!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Did one on a cambridge fast a couple of years back. Great! Noisy, fresh air, spacious. 365s are good!

So much better than the stale, stuffy atmosphere of the 387s

bramling

Veteran Member
Though sometimes the windows are open and the heating is at full whack!

You’ll find there is a connection between the two. As with some other trains, the thermostats are placed so they experience cold air when windows are open, which can turn the heating on. They get round this by isolating the heating during the summer months. All in all it doesn’t work too badly - rather have some control and some fresh air rather than a stuffy air conditioning system like on some other trains.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Until they fail that is.
They don't really seem to be having the best of times in terms of failures or general faults on them as some of the posters have pointed out. Then again the 385s are hardly covering themselves in glory either.
Sam

Mingulay

Until they fail that is.
They don't really seem to be having the best of times in terms of failures or general faults on them as some of the posters have pointed out. Then again the 385s are hardly covering themselves in glory either.
Sam

Mmmmmm. Perhaps I praised them too soon.

May be just the trains I have been using this week but there seems a far higher use of 170 and worse still 158 on Dunblane and Alloa of late ? Backwards steps? Is it the curse of Abellio again. If it can go wrong it will go wrong for Scotrail ?

InOban

Established Member
Other posters have noticed a number of 385s South of the river on driver training, presumably for Shotts. Certainly the weekly delivery from Hitachi needs to continue.

Mingulay

Other posters have noticed a number of 385s South of the river on driver training, presumably for Shotts. Certainly the weekly delivery from Hitachi needs to continue.

Ta. May explain it if my experience is not just pot luck.

Don’t mind 170 provided not busy. Not any slower than 365

Perhaps one for a seperate thread. But as of yet and accepting it’s not a job done but has anyone benefitted from meaningfully faster journeys in the central belt post electrification and new timetable? Dunblane service is no better and often far slower but typically slower in real time as arrivals into Edinburgh are usually circa 3/4 mins late anyway. Despite no stopping at Polmont And Linlithgow. It’s a coasting along progress into Waverley not brisk at all !

hibtastic

If only they had gone ahead and built the new stations at East Linton and Reston by now. The 365s would have been perfect for an Edinburgh to Berwick stopping service.

I am sure they said at one point that they didnt have suitable or spare rolling stock for such a service. The 365s would definitely work.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I have no idea of the veracity of this but I’m hearing a rumour that the 365s will be leaving the ScotRail fleet at the end of March/start of April...

Status
Not open for further replies.