Class 365s to Scotrail

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by Class465fan, 19 Mar 2018.

1. mcmad

mcmad Member

Brilliant, so shortforms all around the SDA triangle and beyond until at least May?

2. 433N

433N Member

Obviously, the HST introduction has gone so swimmingly that a plethora of far superior diesel traction is available to cover SDA services !

I suppose that Scotrail have decided that the tlc required for the 365s isn't worth it for the few months left on the lease and so prefer to take the hit for poor performance and concentrate their resources. It's a strange decision at a time when they have been served an improvement notice by the SG, though.

Of course, they may have a bunch of 385s at the back of a cupboard somewhere that no one knows about to cover the services - although, if they do, I don't know why they didn't use one on the via Cumbernauld service that I saw a 158 on the other day.

3. Carntyne

Carntyne Member

They're being replaced with Class 385 sets.

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Established Member

Using a 158 on a Cumbernauld service probably allowed a longer train to be used elsewhere. The Cumbernaulds are not exactly busy...

5. Mingulay

Mingulay Member

But our 4 car 365 is replaced by a 3 car 385. At least for now in the morning. So it’s standing room by Larbert or sometimes STIRLING if an earlier cancellation from Alloa or Dunblane. So his point is valid. Short formed.

6. Highlandspring

Highlandspring Established Member

Well it isn’t really a short former as it is now booked to be a 3 car 385.

7. InOban

InOban Established Member

Just for the record, how long was the equivalent train when it used to also call at Polmont and Linlithgow?

8. Carntyne

Carntyne Member

Imagine, a peak time train being quite busy.

9. Mingulay

Mingulay Member

Well if you replace a 4 car with a 3 car it’s a reduction in capacity. We were told it was to be a 4 car 385. So either that was an error or it’s only temporary ? Add to that the loss of a direct service at the prime commuting 7.30 slot. Dunblane and B of A see a sharp reduction in commuting capacity. Not what was promised by electrification. But we stray off subject. I would hope a 4 car soon as otherwise we really are going backwards in the service provision. More standing for STirling and Larbert passengers

10. Mingulay

Mingulay Member

3 car sometimes 4. But there were more services in the 7 to 8am period so it spread the load. There was the “fast “non stopping one at 7.30 ish

11. Journeyman

Journeyman Established Member

Not by much, actually. 365 vehicles are 20m, so a 365 is 80m long and has about 240 seats. A 3-car 385 is 69m long and has 206 seats. I'd say that's a fairly insignificant difference and won't make much difference unless you get serious crush-loading.

12. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

A 14% reduction in seating capacity is insignificant then?

13. Highlandspring

Highlandspring Established Member

519 running from Eastfield to Shields for storage tonight.

14. Mingulay

Mingulay Member

Remember new timetable one less service in peak. So it’s a significant reduction. Hence we need the 4 car

15. Southsider

Southsider Member

Would it be worth starting a thread specifically for Dunblane Line woes rather than having it spread over every Scotland related thread on the forum?

16. Stopper

Stopper Member

Dunblane services only used to be full and standing between Linlithgow and Edinburgh both directions. In disruption there was sometimes standing as early as Polmont or Grahamston, but rarely ever Stirling. Given that there has been an increase in capacity, aswell as removing 40% of the passengers (Linlithgow & Polmont), I seriously doubt it’s full and standing by Stirling.

17. scosutsut

scosutsut Member

I'm perplexed as the long term plan. When Edinburgh - Glasgow goes to 8 car, I assume that will lock down the majority of the 24x 4 car sets there, so what will come of the lines that need more than 3 and less than 6?

18. InOban

InOban Established Member

E-G will need 16 4-car sets. There will be 24 eventually, so even allowing for maintenance, there will be a few available.

19. Mingulay

Mingulay Member

Not really no. As this thread is about the Scotrail use of 365 and it's only use is or until recently on the Dunblane service I would respectfully suggest it's hard not to mention Dunblane. But as they are now sadly gone from service and my train is cancelled again today I will not comment again on this thread

20. 318259

318259 Member

Saw half a dozen 365s stabled at Yoker this morning.

21. Stopper

Stopper Member

How many 385 lines need more than 3 and less than 6 at peak times?

E&G needs 8 (actually need about 10 in all honestly), North Berwicks & Cathcart Circle Lines will need 6. Most SDA trains will need a minimum of 4 during peak times, but could easily run with 6. Shotts/Carstairs line services don’t really need more than 3 and the E-G via Cumbernauld doesn’t need any carriages at all beyond Grahamston, it might aswell disappear into thin air.