• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365s to Scotrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fleetwood Boy

I don't know in general, but observationally the 1630 and 1645 services from Glasgow were both 365s today.
And that general pattern held true last Saturday when I had my first trip on them. Presumably the remaining pairs of units will be out soon too?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotraildriver

Established Member
Rumour has, and I stress rumour!, that Scotrail may keep these units rather than exercise the option of another 10 385's . They are proving (so far) to be reliable, fault free and highly popular at least with train crews. Drivers and guards are liking them very much.

gingertom

Established Member
Rumour has, and I stress rumour!, that Scotrail may keep these units rather than exercise the option of another 10 385's . They are proving (so far) to be reliable, fault free and highly popular at least with train crews. Drivers and guards are liking them very much.
so much for a homogeneous fleet then.

NotATrainspott

Established Member

Is there any route the 365s would actually be useful at in Scotland once the E&G is handed over to the 385s?

Their problem seems to be that they don't fit into either of the two ScotRail EMU niches. Either you're a 3x20m set designed to run across the entire traditional Strathclyde Electrics network (plus Airdrie-Bathgate), or you're a 3/4x23m EMU designed for the EGIP network or latter form of the Ayr line services. Not being able to interwork with either fleet is a problem, and there is definitely a reduction in passenger-facing facilities compared to a 38X. They work just fine on the E&G right now because by chance an 8x20m set is equivalent in length and capacity to a 7x23m set (as is the maximum possible on the line right now) and the trains don't need to interwork. Even after the full introduction of the 385s the E&G sets will be largely self-contained since they'll be the only 4-car sets, and all other 385 routes are set up for 6 cars max.

The value of the 10 extra units order is that they'll be suitable for pretty much any candidate line for electrification, or service enhancement post-EGIP. An extra 3-car set or two would make it easy for the Cumbernauld/Stirling fleet to do Maryhill turns while a 2x3-car set would be able to replace peak 156 runs on the EK/Barrhead lines without the need for platform extensions.

fgwrich

Established Member
Is there any route the 365s would actually be useful at in Scotland once the E&G is handed over to the 385s?

What about the Shott's route post electrification? Sets of 4x20m vehicles should be fine for the line, and their acceleration should bring a welcome boost to the line.

As for creating a homogeneous fleet for the future, surely one way Scotrail could bring the number of types of units down in the future is to grab as many of the soon to be off lease 321s as quickly as possible, convert them to further batches of 320s and bin off the 318 fleet?

gingertom

Established Member
What about the Shott's route post electrification? Sets of 4x20m vehicles should be fine for the line, and their acceleration should bring a welcome boost to the line.
first thought is yes, however platform works to accommodate 6-car 23m trains is in progress with 385s earmarked to work them.

D365

Veteran Member
As for creating a homogeneous fleet for the future, surely one way Scotrail could bring the number of types of units down in the future is to grab as many of the soon to be off lease 321s as quickly as possible, convert them to further batches of 320s and bin off the 318 fleet?

Is it not suggested that bidders of the next franchise will be replacing the Class 318/320 fleet.

TEW

Established Member
The 318s and 320s can and do work together, so I imagine it is not a huge issue having both fleets. The 318s have just had a pretty good refurbishment too.

InOban

Established Member
It would appear from RTT that last night's delivery got no further than Wembley. Anyone know why?

CHAPS2034

Thanks to all who replied re the diagrams currently being operated by the 365s. Hopefully I will manage a trip or two in the next few days.

The_Engineer

There was a coupling issue between the loco and the unit.
It reached Wembley Central station, sat on the down main for around an hour with a Milton Keynes stopper behind it. Both the stopper then the 365/diesel reversed to Watford Junction on the down main. The 365 working later disappeared into Wembley yard.

Does anyone know if the 365 is still at Wembley and/or if plans are afoot to get it to Scotland (3rd time lucky!).

gingertom

Established Member

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Just to report I am on an 8 car 365 train from Edinburg to Glasgow. Plain grey, still got an Anglian name on one set, but ScotRail branding inside.

InOban

Established Member
57303 and 365533 just gone north through Preston approx 09.10
At least this time it's made it into Scotland. It should reach Lockerbie around now, if it's the train which I see on RTT.

Journeyman

Established Member
Although the 365s are a welcome addition, there's clearly not enough of them in service just yet to deal with all the short-forming. I was travelling from Glasgow to Linlithgow last night - the 17.15, a pair of 170s, failed before departure and was fully loaded. The punters were directed to the 17.30, which was only a single 170. I didn't even attempt to board it, as it was completely wedged. I took the 17.33 to Markinch instead, which is much slower but had far fewer people on it.

kilonewton

Although the 365s are a welcome addition, there's clearly not enough of them in service just yet to deal with all the short-forming. I was travelling from Glasgow to Linlithgow last night - the 17.15, a pair of 170s, failed before departure and was fully loaded. The punters were directed to the 17.30, which was only a single 170. I didn't even attempt to board it, as it was completely wedged. I took the 17.33 to Markinch instead, which is much slower but had far fewer people on it.
I was on the same cancelled train, and also didn’t bother with the 17:30. 17:45 is scheduled to overtake the 17:33 as it trundles through Falkirk. (Which it didn’t last night)
Which reminds me, need to put in my delay repay claim.

Somewhat controversial, but I’m not a huge fan of the 365s. Lack of armrests in Standard & the fixed ones in First make it a bit awkward getting in & out when sitting in the window seat. Not that that will be an issue for me when 1st is reclassified.

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
I was on the same cancelled train, and also didn’t bother with the 17:30. 17:45 is scheduled to overtake the 17:33 as it trundles through Falkirk. (Which it didn’t last night)
Which reminds me, need to put in my delay repay claim.

Somewhat controversial, but I’m not a huge fan of the 365s. Lack of armrests in Standard & the fixed ones in First make it a bit awkward getting in & out when sitting in the window seat. Not that that will be an issue for me when 1st is reclassified.

Well, apparently even the queen is a 365 fan! It will be interesting to see if a 365 goes to Kings Lynn this coming December...

Status
Not open for further replies.