• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365s to Scotrail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Well, apparently even the queen is a 365 fan! It will be interesting to see if a 365 goes to Kings Lynn this coming December...
Wonder if we'll see one painted maroon and fitted with luxury sleeping quarters for her Maj'? Those mk2s and mk3s can't last forever! :lol:

route101

Established Member
I was on the same cancelled train, and also didn’t bother with the 17:30. 17:45 is scheduled to overtake the 17:33 as it trundles through Falkirk. (Which it didn’t last night)
Which reminds me, need to put in my delay repay claim.

Somewhat controversial, but I’m not a huge fan of the 365s. Lack of armrests in Standard & the fixed ones in First make it a bit awkward getting in & out when sitting in the window seat. Not that that will be an issue for me when 1st is reclassified.

I like the fact theres lots of airline seating .

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Apologies for the plug/parallel post, but the latest Queen Street Update video has footage taken on board one of the 365 sets on Friday *and a Scotrail HST parked at Eastfield (thanks, gingertom :) )

Also please excuse the technical/production quality - it gets worse every time :(

Last edited:

delt1c

Established Member
Will be visiting the homeland in September so hopefully will get a chance to enjoy the 365's that i used to commute into Kings X on

gingertom

Established Member
Apologies for the plug/parallel post, but the latest Queen Street Update video has footage taken on board one of the 365 sets on Friday.

Also please excuse the technical/production quality - it gets worse every time :(

I thought it fine, and I'm sure viewers would agree it's a great effort pulling all this together- keep up the good work!
Perhaps you could have drawn attention to Eastfield's "visitor".

InOban

Established Member
They're excellent. I was only puzzled by the emptiness of 365.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I thought it fine, and I'm sure viewers would agree it's a great effort pulling all this together- keep up the good work!
Perhaps you could have drawn attention to Eastfield's "visitor".

Thanks - and for the suggestion.
I’ll do that in the blurb as I don’t think I’ll have time to add it in to the voiceover.

gsnedders

Established Member
8 car unit , many can't be bothered walking to the front .
It was often like that on the 6-car 170s! Be willing to walk to the front as soon as the platform is announced, and you'll safely get a table, even on the trains either side of the peaks. It then slowly fills up with people as they have to to get a seat.

Journeyman

Established Member
They're extending their reach - 1715 out of Queen Street tonight is a pair of 365s, for the first time. It's been solidly 170s up to now.

InOban

Established Member
And they can be used strengthen services for the Open Golf next week.

I was on the 1345 Edinburgh Waverley (EDB) to Glasgow Queen Street (GLQ) and the 1845 Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh Waverley today - as was the 1330 EDB-GLQ.

Nice units. Even my Dad remarked on how quick they seemed.

I also spotted at least one 365 unit at Easfield on each trip as well as some 385s and an HST with one Scotrail branded power car.

gsnedders

Established Member
Finally made it onto a 365 (I haven't had the ability to hang around for one, and today was just chance).

The 1715 from GLQ seems to be a four car unit only, and per the announcement, no working toilets!

I'd also forgotten quite how few bays they have! That said, boy do they shift up the Cowlairs incline. (Though so do the 380s, and one expects any electric stock!)

Also, they seem as bad as the 700s do for the window seats being so far out over the ducting and having to sit squint in them.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Finally made it onto a 365 (I haven't had the ability to hang around for one, and today was just chance).

The 1715 from GLQ seems to be a four car unit only, and per the announcement, no working toilets!

I'd also forgotten quite how few bays they have! That said, boy do they shift up the Cowlairs incline. (Though so do the 380s, and one expects any electric stock!)

Also, they seem as bad as the 700s do for the window seats being so far out over the ducting and having to sit squint in them.

You can thank the Govia refresh for that, when they ran under First Capital Connect (and before) there were a lot more bay seats (and the seats were more comfortable)

bramling

Veteran Member

Definitely nowhere near as bad as the 700s. The seats nearest the doorways are slightly less well separated, but that’s about all.

387star

On Moderation
Definitely nowhere near as bad as the 700s. The seats nearest the doorways are slightly less well separated, but that’s about all.
700s have some grear features notably the capacious luggage racks which are glass rather than the horrid plastic holes the 377s have shame about the seats

Agent_Squash

Established Member

Didn't you once describe the 365 seating layout as 'perfect', or is that just in order to help with your constant quest to bash the 700s?

route101

Established Member
I love the 365 seating , loads of airline seating , much better than the 334 bays!

bramling

Veteran Member
Didn't you once describe the 365 seating layout as 'perfect', or is that just in order to help with your constant quest to bash the 700s?

No, I think you’ll find I said something like it’s near perfect *as a compromise*. All design and engineering is a trade-off between various different priorities, both engineering constraints and those imposed by the end user.

So whilst in an ideal world I’d prefer the seats nearest the doors to be spaced the same as all the others, I can easily recognise why it has been done like that, to give a little more circulating space round the doorway areas.

The 365 is rather good at these compromises, hence why it’s one of the few designs which does very well as an express and outer-suburban design, which also happens to handle metro work pretty well too. It maximises seating, it provides pretty good standing capacity, yet has few of the discomforts associated with the 700s. It was even better before they messed around with the interior layout, which seems to have been to create priority seats meeting requirements.

Last edited:

gsnedders

Established Member
You can thank the Govia refresh for that, when they ran under First Capital Connect (and before) there were a lot more bay seats (and the seats were more comfortable)
Ah, then I probably haven't been on one like that before!

capital12

The refresh was started under FCC before the franchise change - so not sure Govia can be blamed for that unless they had input before they took over.

The first couple at least had FCC logos on the grey livery.

Journeyman

Established Member

1715 was eight cars when I used it on Friday, that must have been an unscheduled short-form. It's normally my regular train home, but I was in Manchester Monday and Tuesday, so I'll be using it for the first time this week tonight. Will advise on formation...

I like airline seating, when I'm travelling alone I'd far rather not sit opposite strangers.

Bikeman78

Established Member
1715 was eight cars when I used it on Friday, that must have been an unscheduled short-form. It's normally my regular train home, but I was in Manchester Monday and Tuesday, so I'll be using it for the first time this week tonight. Will advise on formation...

I like airline seating, when I'm travelling alone I'd far rather not sit opposite strangers.

All eight sets of stock are electric today, two pairs of 365s, three single 365s, two pairs of 380s and a single 380.

All eight sets of stock are electric today, two pairs of 365s, three single 365s, two pairs of 380s and a single 380.

Good news that all sets are electric. Shame about the single units but no doubt the 170s are needed elsewhere - probably for The Open.

Just a shame the 385s weren't available for this week. Hopefully next week!

Status
Not open for further replies.