• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 37 at Aberystwyth 1/3/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

anamyd

On Moderation
37-418 was spotted at Aberystwyth this evening with at least 10 wagons on the back. I was very surprised to see it as I thought only ERTMS equipped locos and units are allowed on the Cambrian Lines! I didn't think any 37s were so equipped and therefore cleared, only 97-301 to 97-304 and 158-818 to 158-841. I also saw a tamper at Aberystwyth a while back - how does it work with machines like that...? Both the 37 and the tamper were on the track adjacent to the track the 158s run on.

250rwqt.jpg

2uz30wg.jpg

333g6t1.jpg

xlczli.jpg

jjof1g.jpg

1zwz9f.jpg

2li91cy.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anamyd

On Moderation
Looks like the 37-hauled train is something to do with work going on nearby. Still not sure how it's cleared on the line though. I've walked round in a circle and of course there's another 37 on the other end.

NI 271

Tampers are normally dragged to and from site if working down the Cambrian (and stabled within wherever the possession is to be taken if they have to be there before/after the locos/drivers are available) by the Network Rail 97s. I know this as I've assisted on such moves. This one was booked to have 97303 leading from Basford Hall (should be 37099 on the rear btw) and to drag the train back there very early on Monday morning. Presumably 303 is stabled elsewhere during the work, I'd imagine that was due to site driver traction knowledge over the weekend.

anamyd

On Moderation
Tampers are normally dragged to and from site if working down the Cambrian (and stabled within wherever the possession is to be taken if they have to be there before/after the locos/drivers are available) by the Network Rail 97s. I know this as I've assisted on such moves. This one was booked to have 97303 leading from Basford Hall (should be 37099 on the rear btw) and to drag the train back there very early on Monday morning. Presumably 303 is stabled elsewhere during the work, I'd imagine that was due to site driver traction knowledge over the weekend.
Ah right, thanks a lot for the info! :)

Far north 37

Established Member
37099 this according to to tops headcode 6C70 although 97303 showing on this working also.

anamyd

On Moderation
37099 this according to to tops headcode 6C70 although 97303 showing on this working also.
yep, 418 and 099 at opposite ends, and the 97 (which went off somewhere) to control the train on the Cambrian Line with the ERTMS signalling from what I understand! Thanks for the headcode :)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
yep, 418 and 099 at opposite ends, and the 97 (which went off somewhere) to control the train on the Cambrian Line with the ERTMS signalling from what I understand! Thanks for the headcode :)

418 and 099 were in effect wagons within the formation.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Is the 97 not on the business end with the 37 for use moving in possession?

It should run round and haul the train away once finished

anamyd

On Moderation
Which ever end was furtest from Bescot or Crewe!)

The 97 must have hauled the train to site
as you can see in the photos (especially the one linked to in post 2), 37-418 is closest to the station. apparently the 97 went off elsewhere for something else and will return very early on Monday morning to remove the train from the line.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
as you can see in the photos (especially the one linked to in post 2), 37-418 is closest to the station. apparently the 97 went off elsewhere for something else and will return very early on Monday morning to remove the train from the line.

That makes sense. (Cant see pics well on small mobile screen)

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I know that I haven't always got my finger on the pulse with these things, but how long has 37418 been in large logo for, and who owns it? Is it a Colas machine now?
Looks very nice.

anamyd

On Moderation
I know that I haven't always got my finger on the pulse with these things, but how long has 37418 been in large logo for, and who owns it? Is it a Colas machine now?
Looks very nice.
I don't know, but it says Highland Rail on it!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't know, but it says Highland Rail on it!
It's the same one as the model isn't it? :smile:
I just remembered that it was the one that was based at the East Lancs, so I assume it's privately owned, a similar arrangement to 37025 which is also on hire to Colas.

I dont know if anyone knows this but, as the 97's still have their blue star multi, could one work as the front loco of a formation but still have assistance from a second loco fitted with blue star but not ETRMS

anamyd

On Moderation
The train has supposedly gone back now, but I was too tired in the end to see it leave.

It ran very late on the return to Crewe this morning. tfw journey check mentioned a broken down freight train.

Status
Not open for further replies.