• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 37 frost grilles

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertclark125

Established Member
Where on a class 37 were or are the frost grilles, and why did locos lose them? Could it be possible for replies to give a detailed location please, as I'm puzzled as to where they could've been!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hairy Bear

Where on a class 37 were or are the frost grilles, and why did locos lose them? Could it be possible for replies to give a detailed location please, as I'm puzzled as to where they could've been!

They were a large mesh screen over the large side grill, one each side.
They were removed due to the loss of airflow to the rads causing them to overheat.37's are notorious for overheating. Class 40's had them as well.
Hope that helps as they say.

robertclark125

Established Member
It does, thanks. In fact, now that I know where they are/were, I do know 37274 (was 37308 until it got repainted into distribution livery in 1989) kept them right till the end.

9K43

Riding about in a class 37, the doors fitted where they touched, windows the same, whacking big fan in the nose, why bother with frost grills.
I have spent 100's of hours in calss 37's / 40/47/31/56 in the coldest of winters freezing nearly to death on these fridges.
Good job me mam knitted me agood wooly hat and scarf to avoid frost bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.