• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 37 kit problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smudger105e

I have a bit of a problem with a DJH class 37 I have been building in 7mm scale.

I decided early on that a 6 wheeled bogie may be susceptible to derailing if rigid, so I purchased and fitted some compensated axle boxes for the middle wheelsets on each bogie. So far so good.

The motor is fitted vertically and drives the No3 (trailing) pair of wheels, and traction is supplied to the No2 wheelset by a gear and chain, then to No1 wheelset by another gear and chain.

Problem is, there is not room on the No2 axle for 2 chain drive gears (one from motor and one to No1 wheelset) as well as the compensating axle boxes. Bummer.

Has anyone tried fitting three smaller motors onto a 7mm model bogie that would drive each axle individually (as in prototypical practise), or would it perhaps be better to drive just the outer two wheelsets with smaller bogie mounted motors, or maybe use the motor I have and only drive the middle wheelset with a chain drive and forget the No1 wheelset?

I obviously want the best traction possible, so all wheel traction would be preferable, and as the body is whitemetal, it is heavy, so smaller motors would need to be powerful I guess.

Any views or experience of this before I make a good engineering decision (hopefully!!).

Ta muchly,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zoro

I have made numerous co-co and 1co-co1 diesels in o guage and have always found Delrin chain drive to the two outer axles on each bogie to provide more than adequate power. ( Provided you get the weight of the loco correct )

Status
Not open for further replies.