• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 37 start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

graham43404

We were lucky enough earlier on to see a West Coast Railways class 37 start up at Aberdeen station and clag the place to death.

However a few times just after the engine started there were some flames that came out of the top along with exhaust fumes. I was just wondering if this was normal with 37's or not as I can't remember seeing it happen before at NYM Diesel Day when I have seen 37's start up before.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
It'll be deposits of oil being ignited by the heat of the exhaust gases. It's not brilliant, and a substantial build up can lead to some pretty spectacular exhaust fires, but it's quite a common occurence. If it's dark, which it is quite a lot of the time at the moment, then obviously flames in the exhaust will be more apparent than they would be on a bright summers' day.

I remember a pair of 20s leaving Carlisle on a railtour a few years ago spitting sparks and fire into the air one dark, stormy winters' night. It was quite something.

graham43404

Thanks for the replies :). It really was something I hadn't seen or known about beforehand.

I will also make sure I watch that video when I get home as it sounds like its pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.