• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 373 Eurostar withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bromley boy

Established Member
Apologies if this has already been posted.

Not to condone possibly illegal "urban exploration" (I have no idea whether the making of this video would have been illegal on the continent, where I believe it was filmed), but the below may be of interest to 373 afficienados.

Crossforth

Established Member
Apologies if this has already been posted.

Not to condone possibly illegal "urban exploration" (I have no idea whether the making of this video would have been illegal on the continent, where I believe it was filmed), but the below may be of interest to 373 afficienados.

Great video but see post #888 :)

Crossforth

Established Member
Indeed - great minds and all that.

I'm relieved in a way wasn't 100% sure I should post it - it is an excellent, if eerie, video.

It is a cracking video and I wish I could go see it but I don’t think the Mrs would aprove of a trip to France just to see a train :P

malc-c

Thanks again for the heads up. I have to be up early on Saturday, but it would be a shame to miss it.

rdlover777

I dont get why E* wont sell some sets instead of all but 8 be scrapped, then again i heard that why they won't sell them is due to fears that a rival company may use them

SHD

I dont get why E* wont sell some sets instead of all but 8 be scrapped, then again i heard that why they won't sell them is due to fears that a rival company may use them

Again this canard!
Would you care to mention who this "rival company" might be?

Peter Sarf

Established Member

They are KNACKERED and out of date - its all in this thread !.

BestWestern

Established Member
Are those abandoned sets the only ones, or are they dotted about all across France?! Any particular reason they've been dumped, seemingly for quite some time, rather than cut up?

malc-c

Running a few minutes late, we have 66716 throttling up through Welwyn North with 3011 and 3012 in tow

daikilo

Established Member
They are KNACKERED and out of date - its all in this thread !.

They are not out of date but the claimed maintenance costs to keep them in service are high. It would have been great if an opertor could have been found who would negotiate a sustainment plan but it didn't happen and I doubt it ever will.

tgrb

Are all the sets being cut up over here or is there a program in France too? Just thinking that one in the video isn't going to be going through the tunnel anytime soon (I wouldn't have thought!)

ChilternTurbo

We've certainly seen a lot of these units heading to Kingsbury for scrapping. Is it still possible to travel on an un-refurbished 373? They seem quite scarce at St. Pancras now and I understand that 374s are being tested on services that serve Ashford.

33Hz

yet neither SNCF or UK operators seem to be interested.

France is about to be forced to open up its main lines to competition. It's all about SNCF stopping these sets being available to potential open access operators.

SHD

France is about to be forced to open up its main lines to competition. It's all about SNCF stopping these sets being available to potential open access operators.

This reasoning is completely fallacious. Eurostar class 373 sets would be of extremely little use for a potential open access operator in France.
- their refurbishment and maintenance costs would be completely uneconomical - no sane open access operator or leasing company would spend CAPEX & OPEX this significant on 25-year old rolling stock
- their length and capacity would make their use pertinent only on a handful of routes

33Hz

their refurbishment and maintenance costs would be completely uneconomical - no sane open access operator or leasing company would spend CAPEX & OPEX this significant on 25-year old rolling stock

1920px-GRAND_CENTRAL_43067_D_Kings_Cross.JPG

their length and capacity would make their use pertinent only on a handful of routes

So take out some middle trailers. Besides, they might have gone for the popular routes and undercut SNCF on price.

SHD

I am sorry, but throwing a picture of a remotored and refurbished HST does not prove your point regarding Class 373s. When I wrote “no sane access operator would spend CAPEX and OPEX on 25-year old rolling stock” there was an obvious ellipsis of “high-speed, tailored-made for the Channel Tunnel, highly complex” which I am sorry you missed.

Regarding shortening the consists - which trailers would you remove ? - and please specify the consequences regarding the train’s internal systems.

Or let’s play the game for real: I am a merchant banker (a nicer one than John Cleese, don’t worry). You are the young, uppity, and enthusiastic CEO of an open access operator on the French market.

You get to buy the Class 373 train sets for £1 apiece.
Please provide me with details on your business plan:
- your refurbishment costs / CAPEX
- your running maintenance costs
- your operational costs including staff. You can use a ballpark figure of 20 kWh/train.km for electricity consumption. Track and station access charges are publicly available on the Internet.
- which services you plan to operate and at what prices.

Last edited:

AlexNL

Established Member
I understand that 374s are being tested on services that serve Ashford.
As far as I know the 374 have entered service on the trains which stop at Ashford, as KVB is now installed and platforms 3 and 4 have been adjusted to international gauge.

urpert

Essendine or between Étaples and Rang-du-Fliers
We've certainly seen a lot of these units heading to Kingsbury for scrapping. Is it still possible to travel on an un-refurbished 373? They seem quite scarce at St. Pancras now and I understand that 374s are being tested on services that serve Ashford.

It’s pretty much pot luck - anecdotally I’ve had more of them on Brussels services but there’s no way of knowing the train type until you’ve booked and can view the seating plan.

(Though interestingly I’ve only had one refurb 373 in the past year vs 3 unrefurbished ones).

Are the Marseille services guaranteed 373?

ChilternTurbo

I was thinking of a trip to Brussels in the not too distant future and will try for a service that stops at Ashford International. I tried out the 374 to Paris last week which impressed me from a passenger perspective but personally I think it lacks the sleek good looks of the 373.

AlexNL

Established Member
374's are close to calling at Ashford International, the necessary safety equipment (KVB) has been installed over Christmas and the international platforms have been adjusted to international gauge. Test runs are currently being undertaken, it's expected that e320 passenger trains will call at Ashford from April.

Urobach

Came back from Paris a couple of weeks ago on 3007/8 instead of the booked e320. Repainted but not internally refurbed

Status
Not open for further replies.