• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 373 Eurostar withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

59CosG95

Established Member
They're going to be using the 373s on the services to the south long into the future as the depots like those at Lyon-Gerland or Marseille-Blancarde have no idea how to service them. By contrast, Desiros are exactly what the Dutch and German depots do best, so for routes to the Benelux and to Germany via the Benelux they will be using 374s whilst the TMSTs continue to travel through France, given the parts commonality with the TGVs.
Close, but no cigar. While it might be true that Gerland & Blancarde don't know how to service a Velaro, the 374s are needed for services to the Netherlands and Germany as they have different signalling & train protection systems, as well as more pantographs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

S-Car-Go

Yup, 374 Velaros have Dutch signalling and ETCS 2 for the Dutch high speed line. 373s cannot be upgraded with these. Strange really since Thalys sets have it.
Also, in the centre of the 373s, they have big luggage holds in R9 & 10. These are used a lot for ski luggage for Alps services, and additional catering supplies for Lyon/Avignon/Marseille services.

Peter Kelford

Desiros? You mean Velaros
Same company, similar names, my apologies.

Yup, 374 Velaros have Dutch signalling and ETCS 2 for the Dutch high speed line. 373s cannot be upgraded with these. Strange really since Thalys sets have it.
Also, in the centre of the 373s, they have big luggage holds in R9 & 10. These are used a lot for ski luggage for Alps services, and additional catering supplies for Lyon/Avignon/Marseille services.
It's to do with the loading gauge I think. Given that they're to a British loading gauge, I think there was a problem with fitting ETCS into them. At least the photographs don't need changing as the French 1.5kv is also used in the Netherlands.

On Moderation
Close, but no cigar. While it might be true that Gerland & Blancarde don't know how to service a Velaro, the 374s are needed for services to the Netherlands and Germany as they have different signalling & train protection systems, as well as more pantographs.
For Germany there is also the slight issue that the 373s don’t have 15kV AC capability.

S-Car-Go

It's to do with the loading gauge I think. Given that they're to a British loading gauge, I think there was a problem with fitting ETCS into them. At least the photographs don't need changing as the French 1.5kv is also used in the Netherlands.
So I was told by a E* engineer, there was just no more room on the cab drivers desk or in the power car for any more signalling equipment! Otherwise they would've used them in the Netherlands.

For Germany there is also the slight issue that the 373s don’t have 15kV AC capability.
Very true. You'd have thought they would've fitted 15kv ac to the 374s form the outset to be ready/compatible.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
If the 373s are life expired, why is there a handfull still in service? South of France services?

The UK-built ones did get towed from Washwood Heath to North Pole via Reading on their delivery run.
Rather embarrassingly one hit a bridge somewhere north of Oxford, early on in the process.
Here's one parked at Reading over Christmas 1994.

I didn't know some Eurostars were built in the UK, I thought all the power cars were built in Belgium?

Anyone know if these sets will ever return if things get back to normal?

You mean the 373s aren't running right now? If not, that's a shame. Was hoping to get a look at a few of them before they're gone for good.

On Moderation
I didn't know some Eurostars were built in the UK, I thought all the power cars were built in Belgium?
The build was rather complicated with vehicles built at various sites around Europe (including Washwood Heath) and the sets were formed up either in France or at Washwood Heath.

As far as I know all the driving power cars were built at Belfort.

alex397

Established Member
Anyone know if these sets will ever return if things get back to normal?

I would imagine so, seeing as they have only been refurbished relatively recently. Hopefully Covid and Brexit won’t have a huge impact on future passenger numbers though.

Peter Kelford

Probably a failure and pushed off HS1 out of the way. Most likely it'll get pulled back to Temple Mills when time allows, but it is fine where it is for now.
No they were stored down that chord for a bit.

If the 373s are life expired, why is there a handfull still in service? South of France services?
Interoperability to the South of France and to the Alps.

Gadget88

I wonder if all these refurbished trains will ever run again? I read they are not being used at the moment. I can see a much reduced Eurostar service for a few years to come sadly.

duesselmartin

Established Member
I wonder if all these refurbished trains will ever run again? I read they are not being used at the moment. I can see a much reduced Eurostar service for a few years to come sadly.
Maybe they can be shortened and sold? They could TuneIn France, Belgium, Italy, Poland, Czech &Slovak Rep with some modification.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Maybe they can be shortened and sold? They could TuneIn France, Belgium, Italy, Poland, Czech &Slovak Rep with some modification.
Think we have explored that before, in this very thread. Also the few 373s that are left will be needed for some of the services that go beyond Paris as 374s cannot go there I seem to recall. That is if those services survive.

popeter45

Think we have explored that before, in this very thread. Also the few 373s that are left will be needed for some of the services that go beyond Paris as 374s cannot go there I seem to recall. That is if those services survive.
i believe these south of France services can now be covered by 374's as they are now approved for LGV Sud
i think last year the Ski Trains where already using 374's with only the Marseille route left

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
i believe these south of France services can now be covered by 374's as they are now approved for LGV Sud
i think last year the Ski Trains where already using 374's with only the Marseille route left

I believe the reason why the ski route runs with 373s is because of the large vans they have at the inward end of each half set which is required for the stowing of skis etc.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
That is a good idea.
It's a terrible idea! Flog newly refurbished assets on a whim in a downturn removing permanently any future ability to run to a significant chunk of your network? Notwithstanding any actual demand for them from the places mentioned (which are also in a pandemic).

Whatever doom mongers on the Internet might say, people will still travel and economies always recover. Pandemics do not last. Mothballing capital equipment for a year is not unusual, it doesn't mean you sell it off in a panic regardless of your long term strategy.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Where can 373s run to that 374s can't?
South of France, allegedly, but even if they solved that, my logic still stands. It's a fairly arbitrary suggestion that they get rid of a significant portion of their planned long term fleet based on a dip in demand when nobody really knows how soon it will recover. So even if it is not a geographical limitation, a fleet that is too small creates an identical problem.

I am certain that the market will recover; it may take a couple of years. But no competent business would dispense with that chunk of fully owned fully depreciated capital stock (that they expected to need in the medium term) so soon after an unexpected dip in business. They'd have no flexibility to respond to the future market other than to order more 374s, which may take years and cost tens of millions. It'll recover, and if they were left high and dry without enough stock then they'd look pretty silly having recovered little cash from the assets.

People will say the recovery is uncertain, but uncertainty works both ways and contingency is important. The stock being owned not leased is a substantial factor here. Grand Central abandoned their plans for stock they were leasing on an already speculative business case. BA have sold or scrapped their fully depreciated but expensive to operate 747 fleet - but they only had between 0-3 years left already.

Last edited:

popeter45

I believe the reason why the ski route runs with 373s is because of the large vans they have at the inward end of each half set which is required for the stowing of skis etc.
no im saying they are already running the 374's on that route acording to VagonWeb
i assume 374's are already cleared for Marseille but just not run this year because Covid
there are no routes left that are 373 only

najaB

Veteran Member
Every type of Eurostar has operated on domestic UK rails and every 3 cities set has been on them at some point, due to them originally serving Waterloo.
Fair enough, but that isn't "the UK network" though is it? The combination of their length and power requirements means that a large part of the UK network would be off limits. In any case, the original statement I was responding to was that Eurostar were a risk of losing "a significant part of of their network".

On Moderation
Every type of Eurostar has operated on domestic UK rails and every 3 cities set has been on them at some point, due to them originally serving Waterloo.
The Three Capitals sets have had their 3rd rail shoes removed and couldn't run on the UK domestic 25kV infrastructure - unlike the NoL sets.

popeter45

The Three Capitals sets have had their 3rd rail shoes removed and couldn't run on the UK domestic 25kV infrastructure - unlike the NoL sets.
i think they have the capability too as exact same power cars just the limitation of single power car operation would be the main issue

brad465

Established Member
Yes, got me scratching my head. Then I finally remembered that this was the original reason for this thread !.
Yes I initially wanted to ask about why an old set was stored on the Fawkham jct link after observing it while in the area, then a couple of other threads were started on either that subject or on the 373 withdrawal generally, where before long they were all merged into this single thread. I originally titled it something like "What's this Eurostar set doing here?", after the merging of multiple threads it adopted its current name.

Where can 373s run to that 374s can't?
The UK network, provided AWS/TPWS is still fitted. 374s don't have it.
While there is no intention or need to make 374 sets operate anywhere off HS1 and associated stations, I believe they are also built to a higher European gauge level (not sure which classification), so unlike 373s, 374s won't fit on most of the domestic network here.

Status
Not open for further replies.