• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 373 Eurostar withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I saw on a video uploaded on September the 5th from Richard Chalkin, that the 373224 is paired with 373213, did something happen with powercar 373223?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fred43123

Hi, I saw on a video uploaded on September the 5th from Richard Chalkin, that the 373224 is paired with 373213, did something happen with powercar 373223?

Perhaps the half sets from both 3214 and 3223 are under maintenance? So they put the other half sets together to run it as a full rake.

Gadget88

They should put a vintage set in the rail museum in York at the moment they only have the engine.

najaB

Veteran Member
They should put a vintage set in the rail museum in York at the moment they only have the engine.
As has been discussed already, there's nothing really special about the carriages. If anything they would just need a standard and first class example, definitely not a whole set.

59CosG95

Established Member
As has been discussed already, there's nothing really special about the carriages. If anything they would just need a standard and first class example, definitely not a whole set.
You couldn't even fit a half-set in the Great Hall at the NRM, let alone a full one without extensively rebuilding the place.

Gadget88

Just the museum has other rail carriages so would be interesting to see. I’ve never actually been on an original set yet.

Mordac

Established Member
Just the museum has other rail carriages so would be interesting to see. I’ve never actually been on an original set yet.
I don't know about first, but standard class is claustrophobic and oppressive (though the seats are fairly comfortable). Nothing to write home about.

Gadget88

I don't know about first, but standard class is claustrophobic and oppressive (though the seats are fairly comfortable). Nothing to write home about.

Has it been fixed with the refurbished trains? I know the new trains are very large inside.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Has it been fixed with the refurbished trains? I know the new trains are very large inside.

The refurbished 373s have the old seat layout but with the inferior new seat design.

The 374s not only have the inferior new seat design, but they are completely cluttered inside with the seats being randomly staggered instead of in nice neat rows like the 373s. It's certainly much easier getting in and out of the seats on the 373s where each row lines up across the aisle. On the 374s you often have seat backs on the other side of the aisle from your own seat.

ChilternTurbo

I read in a recent issue of Rail that Eurostar were hoping to start running 374s on Ashford from October. I wonder if that's likely to happen and if so will any 373s be heading for scrap?

Gadget88

I was on one of the refurbished Eurostar sets and was impressed how it was like new inside very good.

Train had a door fault but was in the way eventually so can see why they were taken out of service plus they needed trains that could run to Amsterdam.

The negatives too are the old ones are more crammed not as tall seats and ears pop in the tunnel. Over all I prefer the new trains.

AlexNL

Established Member
The new ones don't have to fit in the W6 loading gauge, so they're built to the European gauge.

This did make it necessary to adjust the platforms at Ashford International. The new ones also don't have conventional British safety systems (AWS/TPWS) so Ashford International was adjusted to have the KVB system installed as well. I wonder who picks up the tab for all those adjustments, NR or Eurostar?

CMS

The new ones don't have to fit in the W6 loading gauge, so they're built to the European gauge.

This did make it necessary to adjust the platforms at Ashford International. The new ones also don't have conventional British safety systems (AWS/TPWS) so Ashford International was adjusted to have the KVB system installed as well. I wonder who picks up the tab for all those adjustments, NR or Eurostar?
Neither, as the benefit of the works are people and businesses in Kent, the main funding comes from UK government funding (Local Growth Fund) and Kent County Council (see here: https://www.kent.gov.uk/roads-and-t...ford-international-rail-connectivity-project# ) NR didn't really want to do the works as the benefits are for HS1's operational proficiency, not necessarily theirs and Eurostar certainly didn't as they called Kent's bluff by purchasing incompatible trains for Ashford. Having said that, I believe NR and E* are now having to pick up the tab given its current unsuccessful delivery - with E* doing e320 tests and software updates.

For now, there is still a revised timetable for Ashford trains appearing ad-hoc on the E* website, so I guess this will continue to be an issue into 2019.

Gadget88

So how long are the refurbished 373’s expected to stay in service? Ten years maybe more or less? I assume they will have spares from all the scrapped ones?

I’m guessing the current new fleet will stay around over 20 years

Gadget88

The Refurbished ones are good I’m surprised they have never gave such good refits to the current trains on East coast line saying that they are getting new trains soon

Crisso

I've used Eurostar several times over the years from its inauguration and have recently returned from a rail trip to France using Eurostar to Paris both ways travelling basic Standard Class. It was my first trip on a Class 374 and I fortunately had a nice window seat facing (No. 61!). My only real gripe was the semi-retractable footrest which in the raised position, obstructed me from stretching out my legs straight and; in the lowered position meant my knees were too high. (I'm an average height 5'10" Slim build Male.)
For the return trip, I had the good fortune to ride on a refurbished Class 373 and in my opinion, thought it had a better overall ambience to the Class 374 plus, there was no irritating footrest!

33Hz

Wait a minute, it's in St Pancras with that livery?

Was this one of the units earmarked to be scrapped? What happened to all the "20 years old, they're knackered, not economical to keep running" comments?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It's one of two leased - not sold - to THALYS for Izy and was liveried at Temple Mills. It would have had to reverse at St Pancras for delivery; presumably the power cars will be done at Le Landy.

Class319&373

Awesome, can't wait to see these in service, do we know which set it is? I've heard its 3213/3224. Also did it transfer as a empty coaching stock or as a normal Eurostar service, I kind of wanted to see it's transfer move down HS1.

Last edited:

robreed90001

Awesome, can't wait to see these in service, do we know which set it is? I've heard its 3213/3224. Also did it transfer as a empty coaching stock or as a normal Eurostar service, I kind of wanted to see it's transfer move down HS1.

is indeed 3213/3224, left London on 9026 13:01 to Paris

Interesting so what route will they run? Will they keep the original Eurostar grey seats?

not to sure about the interior but the sets should be used on Paris-Brussels Route

Last edited:

57Tonic

Izy is a low cost operator and dose not provide Bar/Buffet cars on their trains, so is it possible to remove a coach from a set or replace with a coach from another set, (Remove the Bar/Buffet and replace with a standard class car or leave it out altogether)

BahrainLad

I went past Le Landy yesterday on the 1813 to London and this train was visible inside one of the sheds.

Status
Not open for further replies.