• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 375 Heat and Stink

Status
Not open for further replies.

The 375 King

As a regular user of Class 375 I have noticed that the stink in coaches with the big toilet is bad and the heating is sometimes on even in hot weather, is the smell due to bad maintainence or is it a design issue like the Voyager stock which is made by the same company?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SprinterMan

Established Member
As a regular user of Class 375 I have noticed that the stink in coaches with the big toilet is bad and the heating is sometimes on even in hot weather, is the smell due to bad maintainence or is it a design issue like the Voyager stock which is made by the same company?

Despite Voyagers and 375s both being made by bombardier, I think it is a case of poor maintenance with the 375s as the problem only exists with voyagers because the narrow "tilt profile" bodies necessitate equipment being in different places, and the air-con inlets and the toilet tank vents ended up next to each other. I used to be a regular 170 user, and never encountered this problem with these, and these have the same body cross-section as a 375.

Adam :D

user15681

Established Member
Also use 375s often and know the horrid smell you are on about! Many times on the last train home I have been accused of being the source of the smell, despite it not being me.

However, the smell only occurs on some units, so I would say it was a poor maintenance issue. Some units are absolutely fine and smell okay!

The heating is an issue with the driver - down to them to turn it on or off, I believe.

Aircon is usually pretty feeble on 375s until about late September when SE bother to turn it on. :roll:

I agree the toilet smells are pretty bad sometimes. Not an ahem "waste product" whiff, but a cleaning chemical one which is almost as bad. I tend to avoid sitting near the loos if I can,

O L Leigh

Established Member
The heating is an issue with the driver - down to them to turn it on or off, I believe.

You believe incorrectly.

If the older Cl375s are anything like our Cl379s, the driver will barely have any control over the cab environment. The saloon environment is controlled automatically by the TCMS.

Staff may legitimately not be aware of any enviromental issues with the train, be it heat/cold, blocked loos or bad smells. If you believe it is sufficiently bad please let someone know. Either tell the driver or contact the TOC giving date, time, service details and vehicle number (it should be shown inside the coach at the gangway ends as well as outside on the coach sides).

O L Leigh

pendolino

If the older Cl375s are anything like our Cl379s, the driver will barely have any control over the cab environment. The saloon environment is controlled automatically by the TCMS.

Can you turn the saloon ventilation off from MITRAC on a 379, like you can on a 377?

Cab environment is much easier: open the windows. Then get annoyed by the rattling of the door from the cab to the saloon and close the windows again.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Staff may legitimately not be aware of any enviromental issues with the train, be it heat/cold, blocked loos or bad smells. If you believe it is sufficiently bad please let someone know. Either tell the driver or contact the TOC giving date, time, service details and vehicle number (it should be shown inside the coach at the gangway ends as well as outside on the coach sides).

Southern have put labels on all the 377 toilet doors now: 'If there are any defects with this toilet etc etc please phone [number] or email [address] quoting [carriage number]', something like that. Good idea I think.

Last edited:

user15681

Established Member
Oh really? Well, I didn't know that. Thanks, haha!

I only assumed because I asked a guard once to turn the heating down (everyone was complaining it was hot), and the guard said he'd ask the driver to do so. Of course, he could have just said this to shut me up.

Of course if the aircon IS working, generally some idiot will have forced open the small windows (opposite where the electronic destination indacators are on one or two windows per carriage) to "get some ventilation", thereby negating the effects of the aircon.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Can you turn the saloon ventilation off from MITRAC on a 379, like you can on a 377?

I haven't had a play on a Cl377 so it's impossible to say whether or not it's the same as a Cl379. However, yes there are options to turn the saloon or cab "dampers" (fans...? A/C...?) on and off, but that is all we can do. But even then they simply reset themselves after about 5 minutes. There may be more options on the fitters login, but not on a drivers login.

Cab environment is much easier: open the windows. Then get annoyed by the rattling of the door from the cab to the saloon and close the windows again.

Ha ha!! You are joking, aren't you...?

I did this the other day when the A/C went sick on a Cl379. Both droplights in the fully open position generated an increase in noise, only marginally improved ventilation and no appreciable lowering of the cab temperature.

Try that on a Cl317 and it's like sitting in a wind tunnel while being deafened by the rattling doors, ceiling panels, light fittings, windows and anything else that wobbles. Oh, and if you don't lock the hinged cab door behind you, that will blow open with huge force (sometimes this can happen even if they ARE locked) slamming into the doorframe right next to you. Drivers who have been foolhardy enough to rest their hands on this doorframe have had fingers broken.

Southern have put labels on all the 377 toilet doors now: 'If there are any defects with this toilet etc etc please phone [number] or email [address] quoting [carriage number]', something like that. Good idea I think.

We've had something similar on Cl317 bogs for a while also, but I don't know if anyone has ever used the number to report an issue. Most of the time the punters just moan among themselves and only rarely mention it to me.

O L Leigh

Southern313

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendolino

Open window, switch wipers on and when drivers wiper is on the outermost point trip the wiper MCB behind you. Deflects the airflow just enough to prevent that annoying rattle from the saloon door.

Status
Not open for further replies.