• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 377/5 Southeastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I have also noticed that the on-board announcements on some of them have been updated so that they no longer advertise themselves as a "Thameslink" service. That was confusing a few people for a while.

Moriarty01

Does anyone know why Southeastern are having (what appears to be) so many problems with these units on the Maidstone East Line?

Over the past month they have had daily cancellations of services on this line or are running a single 4-car unit instead of two 4-car units coupled together.

I can sense frustration amongst commuters on this line is growing!

Thanks

Andy

D365

Veteran Member
It’s the Thameslink curse. Well the 387s seem to be immune so far, but anything else seems to be cursed with sporadic unreliability, either on joining or on leaving the line.

Class 466

Established Member
It’s the Thameslink curse. Well the 387s seem to be immune so far, but anything else seems to be cursed with sporadic unreliability, either on joining or on leaving the line.
387s are most definitely not immune. GN are having all kinds of problems with them.

377s are just taking time to bed in, this happens all the time when you introduce different units onto a line of route. That and the few months in store did nothing for some of the units.

ScotGG

Established Member
Has every 377 moved over now?

And every 465/9 that can be cascaded to Metro work been cascaded?

Reason I ask is some Metro routes are still shorter than I expected with 25 4-car trains bolstering the fleet.

Class 466

Established Member
Has every 377 moved over now?

And every 465/9 that can be cascaded to Metro work been cascaded?

Reason I ask is some Metro routes are still shorter than I expected with 25 4-car trains bolstering the fleet.
Yep the last one transferred in October 2017. Of 25 units only 22 are available for day to day use (when 22 actually work is a miracle in itself). 22 units can not replace all the 465/9 work and some of the units freed up have been used to strengthen those services as well as extend plenty of metro services from 6 to 8 coaches. (There’s a hell of a lot of 4 + 2 + 2 running out there now)

What were you expecting to see?

Yep the last one transferred in October 2017. Of 25 units only 22 are available for day to day use (when 22 actually work is a miracle in itself). 22 units can not replace all the 465/9 work and some of the units freed up have been used to strengthen those services as well as extend plenty of metro services from 6 to 8 coaches. (There’s a hell of a lot of 4 + 2 + 2 running out there now)
They're a much needed crutch, but of course, isn't a cure-all. They're also not in a particularly great state either. One was running a Vic to Ashford service earlier this week and didn't get past Bromley because water was entering the driver's cab. Whether it was an AC defect or a leak, I'm not sure, but it was enough for the driver to take it out of service.

Class 466

Established Member
Why are there still so many issues with the 377s if they all transferred months ago?
Well they’re only subleased and GTR maintain them still. Quite a few were left in open storage for a couple of months prior to transfer - so it’s no wonder they’re knackered. Don’t even get started on the fact the PIS on half of them is defective and announces all manner of rubbish!

RichJF

Well they’re only subleased and GTR maintain them still. Quite a few were left in open storage for a couple of months prior to transfer - so it’s no wonder they’re knackered. Don’t even get started on the fact the PIS on half of them is defective and announces all manner of rubbish!
The 377's I get when commuting on GTR spout rubbish in service!

mister-sparky

Southern seat-interiored 377 501/502 working Charing Cross to Robertsbridge today. I thought they were just going to work the Maidstone East line? Or is this just a one off?

Last edited:

Class 466

Established Member
Southern seat-interiored 377 501/502 working Charing Cross to Robertsbridge today. I thought they were just going to work the Maidstone East line? Or is this just a one off?
Because the engineering works cut off St Leonard’s West Marina where most of the 375s used on the Hastings line are stored overnight - other stock has to be sourced from Ashford. Hence the 377s
:)

387star

On Moderation
Wonder how long these will stay with southeastern

Southern green is also to be found on C2C and Great Northern... The latter makes no mention of 'Great Northern' on the PA and the 387s have the green door livery.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Wonder how long these will stay with southeastern
Almost certainly permanently. The original published GTR franchise spec always stated 25 units would be transferred to Southeastern, I can think of no reason why they'd need to do a further swap around.

physics34

Established Member
Almost certainly permanently. The original published GTR franchise spec always stated 25 units would be transferred to Southeastern, I can think of no reason why they'd need to do a further swap around.
It was mentioned before that when the full thameslink timetable is complete they may swap the 377/5s with Southern 377/1s... due to the dual voltage capability being more useful to SN. Not heard anything either way for a long time though

Status
Not open for further replies.